By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - President Trump Threatens to "Totally Destroy" North Korea.

sychobob said:
Mandalore76 said:

A dictator who executes his own uncle and then follows it up with the execution of his uncle's entire family doesn't just acquire weapons "to have as a deterant".

Kim is very intelligent and rational (more than Trump). His goal is to secure his regime and does so with nuclear threatening. He will never use a first strike. Why should he? His country would be attacked and he would loose the power. A war would 100% be started by the USA.

If the USA declares war on NK and China tells them, they have already troops stationed there, what will Trump do? Now he has to maje the choice wether to declare war on China or back off.

Why did Hitler attack France, when he knew that Britain and its allies would be forced to respond?  Why did Sadaam attack Kuwait when he knew that the US and its allies would be forced to respond?  You are acting like Kim Jong Un is a rational person.  Do not attempt to apply rational thinking to a paranoid psychopath.

Around the Network
Rab said:

LOL. Now thats funny. 

Mandalore76 said:
sychobob said:

Kim is very intelligent and rational (more than Trump). His goal is to secure his regime and does so with nuclear threatening. He will never use a first strike. Why should he? His country would be attacked and he would loose the power. A war would 100% be started by the USA.

If the USA declares war on NK and China tells them, they have already troops stationed there, what will Trump do? Now he has to maje the choice wether to declare war on China or back off.

Why did Hitler attack France, when he knew that Britain and its allies would be forced to respond?  Why did Sadaam attack Kuwait when he knew that the US and its allies would be forced to respond?  You are acting like Kim Jong Un is a rational person.  Do not attempt to apply rational thinking to a paranoid psychopath.

This. Once Kim thinks he is unstoppable he will attack whoever he wants. For him whats the better opyion, strike S Korea and piss off China and the US or strike China and hope that nobody comes to assist? 

Aeolus451 said:
StarOcean said:

Keep in mind, this console war is pretty boring. Sony clearly won. So, to me, there's not much to discuss about that side of the site unless we're talkin' Switch potential or Pokemon/Mario/Zelda news. Or to defend Dragon Quest series from ignorant people e.e So besides those things, politics is the only thing to discuss at the moment. To be honest, once Trump is out... I'll probably lose most interest in politics again... unless Americans are dumb enough to elect Kanye West... which would make even Trump look smart...

if you're gonna keep posting in political threads then you should ease up on being as nasty about trump supporters. It's like you're driving a tank on thin ice. If you want to show your disdain for them by all means have at it but don't do it so strongly because 1) you could get banned for it and 2) there's trump voters on this forum. I'm one of them to be honest.

I don't believe I said anything wrong about Trump supporters. I did not even reference them or attempt to -so that part confuses me. And I know you're a Trump voter! XD

StarOcean said:
Aeolus451 said:

if you're gonna keep posting in political threads then you should ease up on being as nasty about trump supporters. It's like you're driving a tank on thin ice. If you want to show your disdain for them by all means have at it but don't do it so strongly because 1) you could get banned for it and 2) there's trump voters on this forum. I'm one of them to be honest.

I don't believe I said anything wrong about Trump supporters. I did not even reference them or attempt to -so that part confuses me. And I know you're a Trump voter! XD

it wasn't too bad or anything but still.

"Why haven't you Americans gotten rid of him yet"

"Cause our education system is shit. This country will continue to elect morons like this until education is treated as a necessity rather than something you can do without"

Around the Network
Aeolus451 said:
StarOcean said:

it wasn't too bad or anything but still.

"Why haven't you Americans gotten rid of him yet"

"Cause our education system is shit. This country will continue to elect morons like this until education is treated as a necessity rather than something you can do without"

That's not aimed at Trump supporters. Our education system is shit. And it allows 'politicians' like Trump and Hillary to get near a position neither were qualified to obtain. People aren't informed. During the election, this was only in my personal experience mind you, I saw people say, "I'm going to vote for Hillary cause she's a woman" and "I always vote Republican, so Im going to vote for Trump, even if I dont agree with him" and "Everyone else likes her so Im going to vote for Hillary too" and "I dont really listen to politics, but Trumps slogan says hes going to make America great again, so Im going to vote for him" ... this is my opinion, but I'd say none of those are well informed opinions of the people theyre voting for, and people like them should not be able to vote until they read up on the candidates. To be fair it was a toss up between a gun and a knife to kill yourself, so it wasn't a winning scenario either way. 

We won't get good people in office until our education is properly funded. Via schools and other places to learn about the politicians they may potentially elect. I dont think you disagree with me on this

jason1637 said:

forest-spirit said:

Because genocide is fun. Unless you're one of those silly SJW people.

What's so silly about fighting for social justice?

It was a joke. I'd probably get that label myself by quite a few people (not that being labeled SJW is much of an accomplishment these days).

SpokenTruth said:
Aeolus451 said:

Because social justice has nothing to do with justice or equality. It is a sales pitch to get naive people to have over power to a select few. 

You've never been a minority, have you?  Try living a while as a women or person of color.  What you fear is that minorities will treat you the way your race/gender has treated them.

Don't give me that utter nonsense. I'm part Japanese, Cherokee, Irish and Swedish. That right there just invalidated your whole warped speal. I want actual equality for all and that's why I'm not a progressive. I get tired of SJWs trying to weaponize race or identity as a way disarming other's opinions in debates or to say that white males' opinions don't matter as much as because they're white males. Don't you see how racist and sexist that is? Don't you see how twisted that is? 

Social justice is just human decency being politicized and turned into a sales pitch. It's the ideology of hypocrisy. 

People of all sorts hurt and help all kinds of people for a multitude of reasons. People have been doing for a very long time. Either one is not something that's exclusive to one people, skin color or sex. 

DonFerrari said:
Machiavellian said:

I totally agree he probably got elected because of grade school language.  That says alot about America more than it does Trump.  You basically using words that any 5 grader should know is not difficult or subterfuge.  When you are in your preteens and teens you insult people this way because thats what everyone does but at some point you grow up.  In a position of power that effect billions, you learn that someone your enemy can easily become your ally and treating people with respect but still be firm in your position is what separate a leader from the average bum off the street.  As you say if politicians go down the namecalling, personal attacks route discourse becomes harder and it takes us closure instead of futher from a solution that does not involve war.

Threating someone with respect is all good, but not everyone deserves it. But case in point I was saying that using direct language instead of using high level language when the intent is the same, agression and etc to me is the same. As a writter I care a lot about the language and usage, but as a person I value the actions and intentions far more than the words used, so on politics I get nauseated with all the hidden insults in all the polite language used.

Who said anything about deserving respect.  You treat them with respect because disrespecting them gains you absolutely nothing.  This is just basic negotiating tactics.  The only time you disrespect someone is when you want a situation to go south.  

Once you go down the desprect route you are closing the door to negotiation.  Politics is the game Trump is playing even though he wants to play it different.  The rules are different and how you conduct yourself is different.  That’s like a baseball player coming to the NBA thinking he will apply baseball rules to that sport.  It sounds silly and stupid and so does the approach Trump does within the office.   Also what Trump does is not direct language, its grade school immature language.  Would you in a meeting with CTO, CEO and high executive people use name calling to describe another customer, co worker etc.  Maybe this is how Trump runs his business but the US government isn’t a business.  This is why you do not put someone into a position he/she is not qualified for or even have the basic political skills to do the job effectively.  Having your evey man type of leader who does not know how to speak to other leaders is not effective.  What we have seen from Trump is that this is one of his biggest weakness.

Superman4 said:
Machiavellian said:

I totally agree he probably got elected because of grade school language.  That says alot about America more than it does Trump.  You basically using words that any 5 grader should know is not difficult or subterfuge.  When you are in your preteens and teens you insult people this way because thats what everyone does but at some point you grow up.  In a position of power that effect billions, you learn that someone your enemy can easily become your ally and treating people with respect but still be firm in your position is what separate a leader from the average bum off the street.  As you say if politicians go down the namecalling, personal attacks route discourse becomes harder and it takes us closure instead of futher from a solution that does not involve war.

While I agree to some extent you have to look at history. How many Presidents have treated N Korea with white gloves? We pulled out weapons and agreed to pull out more for more cooperation. We gave Humanitarian aid which was diverted to Kims personal pockets and his missle programs. N Korea has skirted around sanctions for over a decade and shows no sign that they are willing to play ball with anyone. Without Nukes everyone leaves them alone and he has the chance to make his country great, instead he chooses to continue down the nuke path and pretty much gaurantee his demise. Nobody wants him to have nukes or build his military any more. I think China is starting to realize the more power he has the worse it is for them.

I think you are getting my position confused.  How we treat NK is totally different from how we convey what we will do.  I have no problems with Trump saying we will do whatever it takes to protect the US and our Allies.  I have a problem with him using grade school immature language to do so.  It accomplish nothing but only escalate an issue and also make it harder for negations.  

As to your point, saying and doing are 2 very different things.  One of Trump big issues is that he loves to throw threats but when pushed has showed to be very weak in action.  How many times has he threaten someone or group and when it was time to put up or shut up, he just shut up.  Threats to NK is worthless and if he would do his homework and understand the people he is threaten he would know this.  It really does not matter what we want NK to do because they have shone they will do whatever they want so if you are going to do something wasting breath trying to look tough and actually doing something is totally different.