By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - World gone mad: Music conductor fired for making racist joke even though "victim" says no.

Latest development:

They settled. Basically the university paid him $90k to not disclose anything. Any press inquiry will have to be done "in a collaborative" manner.

90k for the record is much less than his salary but I guess he doesn't much of a choice.

http://registerguard.com/rg/news/local/35956880-75/university-of-oregon-agrees-to-pay-matthew-halls-90000-halls-agrees-not-to-disparage-uo.html.csp#.WbuJWOCOpNk.twitter

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
Latest development:

They settled. Basically the university paid him $90k to not disclose anything. Any press inquiry will have to be done "in a collaborative" manner.

90k for the record is much less than his salary but I guess he doesn't much of a choice.

http://registerguard.com/rg/news/local/35956880-75/university-of-oregon-agrees-to-pay-matthew-halls-90000-halls-agrees-not-to-disparage-uo.html.csp#.WbuJWOCOpNk.twitter

They got off of that cheaply. It was a smart move on the university's part. 

Why do SJWs and Progressives care so much about people they do not even know? What is the point in caring so much and wasting time over things that are none of your business? The groups of people you are fighting for, do not care about you and they would not do the same for you and they do not even know you. Why care so much about issues that are not your concern?

Dark_Lord_2008 said:
Why do SJWs and Progressives care so much about people they do not even know? What is the point in caring so much and wasting time over things that are none of your business? The groups of people you are do not caring would not do the same for you and do not even know you. Why are so much about issues that are not your concern?

I know right...  I care more for insects than most human beings.

ArchangelMadzz said:
DonFerrari said:

Not actually a joke.

British guy say to a american southern black guy in a southern accent if he want a regional corn dish... and that black guy also mocked his british accent. Someone not involved took offense in it.

Wait did he literally say regional corn dish? I don't get it.

But either way sounds really stupid. 

Nope he said "grit"... but i didn't bothered to remember the name of the dish.

All he said on southern accent were “Do you want some grits?”

FragileSurface said:
aLkaLiNE said:
As an Oregonian, I can we are an extremely politically correct state to the point of detriment. I saw a subway commercial where they labeled a 12" sandwhich as a "he" and one of my Facebook feminism friends reposted MASSIVELY over reacting. To me, there is more important topics to worry about than something as stupid and Irrelevent as that. I would have no offense if they labeled that sandwhich as a her.

Not trying to derail but how do you think your friend would have reacted if an item which exists for the sole purpose of consumption and pleasure for another person was referred to as 'she'.  I'm genuinely curious about this.  

In Brazil about everything is a he or she, we don't have "it". So the words themselves have gender in most cases. But the association of sandwich with "he" because of phalic form would be easier to indetify than a "she". But certainly SJW in Brazil would be triggered with associating a female to eating (we use the verb eat as a variation of fuck).

Ka-pi96 said:
DarthMetalliCube said:

Ugh... Is this overblown sensastionalist identity politic bullshit ever going to end?

I think I need to just be a hermit and live in a cabin in the mountains or something. I seriously can't take this shit anymore.

You don't need to do that. As far as I can tell this is still exclusive to the US (possibly Canada) and the internet. There's still a couple hundred other countries you could live in and not have to deal with this shit (without becoming a mountain hermit)

I don't know how much different is Brazil to USA in this, but there is a lot of SJW in Brazil already... and several of them take print screen of facebook comments and send to employeers to demand firing of people...

But some people here try to pretend SJW are all loving people only wanting to "educate" others and make the world better for all.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

This is what happens when White Liberals get offended on behalf of others and are treating minorities in a racist manner themselves inadvertently.

They think we minorities are helpless poor fools that always needed to be shielded and guarded against the smallest slight or remark out of a sense of white guilt.

To me, I would ask white liberals to please ask minorities what they think before getting offended on behalf of is.

Because in the end, you are doing what you preach against which is 'whitesplaning'

Lawlight said:
Chris Hu said:

This week on the world gone mad another pointless thread take your meds and go to bed already.

Another useless post from you. Nothing to add? Result to insults. Classic leftist tactic.

Making a big deal out of nothing people get fired every day for various reasons its not the end of the world.  Classic right wing, tin foil hat wearing, conspiracy nut tactic.

Chris Hu said:
Lawlight said:

Another useless post from you. Nothing to add? Result to insults. Classic leftist tactic.

Making a big deal out of nothing people get fired every day for various reasons its not the end of the world.  Classic right wing, tin foil hat wearing, conspiracy nut tactic.

Though that was not his point, i.e. this is a strawman. He's arguing that the conductor was fired for a dubious reason even though the supposed "victim" sided with him. In addition, it doesn't help your case when you started off with an ad hominem as opposed to refuting the OP.

Aura7541 said:
Chris Hu said:

Though that was not his point, i.e. this is a strawman. He's arguing that the conductor was fired for a dubious reason even though the supposed "victim" sided with him. In addition, it doesn't help your case when you started off with an ad hominem as opposed to refuting the OP.

Ah, I remember the good 'ol days when I was the one who was being hit with this stuff

VGPolyglot said:
Locknuts said:

Horse shoe theory all depends on how you define 'left' and 'right'. I follow the understanding that left means big government and right means small government. Far right is anarchy, far left is totalitarianism. Both Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union were dependent on big government.

If you let the government get big enough, someone will always use it as a club to beat down their opposition. I'm a 'minimum government necessary' kind of guy. 

Modern anarchism actually developed as a left-wing ideology.

imo its asinine to believe that the primitive state of man in the past could be attributed to some political ideology someone developed in the 1800s, before civilisation what type of society do you believe man existed in?

back then man did not have the centralised control of government and acted individually - anarchy... its not something someone came up with