By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - DOOM 2016 footage on Nintendo Switch

Clearer footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k038cik6uDw&feature=youtu.be

60fps - believe!

Around the Network
Pavolink said:
Embargo ends next week and we are going ro be able to read impressions and maybe official statements from devs. Let's wait until confirmation for framerate and resolution.

Source? Cos if so then that's a shorter wait than I expected, should be interesting.

Zekkyou said:
curl-6 said:

I expect 30fps to be honest, but I can accept that so long as it's stable.

Getting a game that pushes PS4 and Xbox One hard up and running on the Switch is no mean feat and sacrifices have to be made.

I expect a lot of developers are going to be keeping an eye on the Doom port. If it ends up being 720p/30fps in docked mode it'd paint a pretty grim picture for any AAA titles with less performance wiggle room or a more rigid engine (with is most of them right now). I personally think they're going to go with a dynamic resolution, but it they can get it to average around 900p~ at 30fps, or maybe a bit below 720p~ at 60fps, etc, then that opens up the possibility of some of the PS4/X1's more stable titles to appearing on the Switch. I'm never going to buy any of them, but they'd all make for fun discussions so it'd be a +1 from me.

Yeah, agreed, I think of a lot of other third parties will be watching to see how Doom performs both technically and commercially to gauge whether its worth putting their own AAA games on Switch.

Personally, I'd take even sub-HD docked if it meant 60fps, though I'd also be fine with 30fps so long as it's stable. About the only deal breaker for me is if performance is absolute garbage, like with, say Borderlands on Vita or AC4/Watch Dogs on Wii U.

I like it.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

I mean, 720 60 docked and 480 60 undocked is the minimus, but still acceptable, range.

I see no reason why when the Switch toggles between docked output and portable output it could be a switch between 60fps and 30fps. The game could be still generating 60fps internally but only outputting 30fps on the portable screen. I understand it can't switch between higher and lower quality assets because that would require a long pause between switching but m pc will happily toggle between 60 and 30 fps screen modes on the fly without problems. Combined with dynamic resolution which the nvidia gpu's tend to do very well, Switch, PS3 etc I would of thought that was a good possible solution. I really think the game experience will be much reduced if they don't maintain 60fps when docked. It's going to have reduced quality texture assets for sure so it can work in portable mode. Anyway I'm sure the developer understands that a huge part of the appeal of the game is the 60fps .

Around the Network
vivster said:

So that's how Doom would look if it was released 7 years earlier. Nintendo cashing in on nostalgia as usual.

User moderated - Bristow9091

u 'avin' a giggle m8?

Naum said:
vivster said:
So that's how Doom would look if it was released 7 years earlier. Nintendo cashing in on nostalgia as usual.

For once for ONCE can you shut the F**k up?

Seriously how the hell havent you been banned for life is beyond me...you do nothing NOTHING but spew your negativity on ever single Nintendo thread on this forum.

Moderated ~ CGI

Chill out Naum. vivster has always struck me as a bit of a jokester so don't take his posts too seriously.

bonzobanana said:
I see no reason why when the Switch toggles between docked output and portable output it could be a switch between 60fps and 30fps. The game could be still generating 60fps internally but only outputting 30fps on the portable screen. I understand it can't switch between higher and lower quality assets because that would require a long pause between switching but m pc will happily toggle between 60 and 30 fps screen modes on the fly without problems. Combined with dynamic resolution which the nvidia gpu's tend to do very well, Switch, PS3 etc I would of thought that was a good possible solution. I really think the game experience will be much reduced if they don't maintain 60fps when docked. It's going to have reduced quality texture assets for sure so it can work in portable mode. Anyway I'm sure the developer understands that a huge part of the appeal of the game is the 60fps .

The Switch's GPU may run much faster when docked, but the CPU stays the same speed, so in order for it to run at 60fps docked, it would have to be running that fast CPU side when portable anyway, in which case you may as well just cut down the graphics to hit 60fps GPU side too. 

Pemalite said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Rage and Wolfenstein both achieved 60 fps on 7th gen hardware.

So its certainly possible they can do that on Switch. Wouldnt be the first time they squeezed more than expected from modest specs.

But they achieved 60fps on last gen hardware using iD Tech 5. Not iD Tech 6 which is graphically superior.

The games speak for themselves, Doom 2016 on the Switch looks far superior to any iD Tech 5 game in my opion.

Well look at Batman:AK, that's Unreal Engine 3 but ranks high among the best looking games. Frostbite worked fine on 7th even while putting a forcus primarily on 8th gen specs.

I think the graphics in Doom look good, especially for 60 fps, but it doesn't look that amazing. The Switch version will just be scaled back visually. If it looks at par with 7th gen id tech games, that would be fine.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
Pemalite said:

But they achieved 60fps on last gen hardware using iD Tech 5. Not iD Tech 6 which is graphically superior.

The games speak for themselves, Doom 2016 on the Switch looks far superior to any iD Tech 5 game in my opion.

Well look at Batman:AK, that's Unreal Engine 3 but ranks high among the best looking games. Frostbite worked fine on 7th even while putting a forcus primarily on 8th gen specs.

I think the graphics in Doom look good, especially for 60 fps, but it doesn't look that amazing. The Switch version will just be scaled back visually. If it looks at par with 7th gen id tech games, that would be fine.

There isn't any reason why Frostbite couldn't scale downwards to Switch anyway.
On current hardware, most frostbite games target 60fps (Or higher 900P resolutions+30fps on Xbox One) anyway, so there is room to move downwards to the Switch.
And I hope it happens one day... Battlefield, Ass Effect and Dragon Age are some of my favorite franchises.

As for Batman, it does employ a ton of effects not found in most Unreal Engine 3 powered games... And it was a technical disaster on the PC.
But considering that it hits 900P on average hardware like the Xbox One, there is room to move in porting to the Switch.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

bonzobanana said:

I think different CPU speed would complicated thing more, in this way Nintendo and devs are using higher GPU speed just raise resolution, everything else is same in portable and docked mode.