By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Pewdiepie Drops the N word on a Livestream

He's a shitty person that should've never been famous. And it's clear from his videos he suffers from some sort of cognitive issue. He'll get away with it if people continue to defend his shit

Around the Network

As to the above, far as I am concerned, most shitty people are inhabiting this thread: some famous dude says "nigger" (probably for publicity), and a bunch of people online are forming into some kind of keyboard-based lynch mob.

That is what concerns you? That is what ticks you off? Move along.

Judging by the like/dislike ratio, most people are taking it normally; with humour. I actually believe treating these words in a mundane manner helps to move on from the stigma and release the tension and power to hurt PC people have given them. Look at "sexist" and "racist", for example, they are so overused that they have lost the effect they once had. I mean, they're practically memes now.

Seems weird that he'd pick that word up given he was not a native speaker and came here as an adult. I suppose if you spend enough time playing online games you'll hear some 12 year olds shouting it, though, to the point that it can sneak into your subconscious.

I've always made a point never to say it even in jest so as to avoid specifically this; one slip-up can be terrible, and I still say "faggot" on rare occasion thanks to my foul mouth as a teenager. That's about it, though... at this point I don't say "gay" to suggest something sucks and no longer use the word "retarded", so it's definitely possible to leave immature lingo behind with enough effort lol

Either way, this could certainly hurt PewdiePie to some extent... it depends entirely on how big a deal everyone else makes out of it and, given he's been one of the most popular youtubers for years now, I imagine a number of youtubers will talk about it. That's just the one word you can't say unless you're black, and even black people have to largely avoid it to keep their sponsorships.

Edellus said:

Judging by the like/dislike ratio, most people are taking it normally; with humour. I actually believe treating these words in a mundane manner helps to move on from the stigma and release the tension and power to hurt PC people have given them. Look at "sexist" and "racist", for example, they are so overused that they have lost the effect they once had. I mean, they're practically memes now.

There's one group of people that gets to decide when/where/how/why the N-word gets normalized, and it sure as fuck isn't some skinny white doofus from Sweden. 

The black community have earned ownership over that word by enduring through slavery and gross forms of racism. 

Not you Pewdeepie, you can sit the fuck down. If you want to do something "funny", here's a "funny" idea for a video, record yourself in a neighborhood with black people and you freely using this word, lets see how long it takes before you get knocked unconcious. 

Around the Network

oh shit! someone said a word! stop the presses!

its kind of sad that society has "progressed" to the point where people are so brainwashed that they associate the uttering of a word with malevolent intent

apparently its words and not intent that are important now

o_O.Q said:

So if I come up to you and say your mom is a whore, and then say "relax dude, it's just a word", we're cool?

Yes it's a personal insult, but that is how black people from my understanding feel about that word because of its historical context. 

This 'news' will feed dozens of washed up game journalists.

o_O.Q said:

its kind of sad that society has "progressed" to the point where people are so brainwashed that they associate the uttering of a word with malevolent intent

apparently its words and not intent that are important now

While we are at it, let's remove insults from the forum rules. They are just words, right?

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Soundwave said:
o_O.Q said:

So if I come up to you and say your mom is a whore, and then say "relax dude, it's just a word", we're cool?

Yes it's a personal insult, but that is how black people from my understanding feel about that word because of its historical context. 

You're gonna talk to him personally, or are you gonna do it in a stream during a game?

Way to call all black people pussies that get triggered by a word, as well.