By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Pewdiepie Drops the N word on a Livestream

Soundwave said:
o_O.Q said:

You can say whatever you want. Just be prepared to deal with the consequences. 

Depending on your personal family history we could up with specific words in context that I'm sure would piss you off (ie: if you have a brother with a mental illness, I'm sure you probably could lose it if you over heard someone joking about him being a nutcase, for example, while that word may mean little to someone else). 

The word PDP has been directede in a negative way by whites to blacks and has an ugly, ugly history. It is what it is. 

My brother did, and no Id probably just agree with them.

It might make me sad at most.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
JRPGfan said:

Yes it is. This is over the top, like feminist nazi, that overreact to everything.

Today lots of black people on tv, call one another nigga, and such. Even non coloured do it to friends.

Slavery was 100's of years ago, time to let that sh*t go.

If I was black and someone said that, Id just remind them that it means "of black skin" and say "yes my skin is dark" or whatever and move on.

Or call them "whities" back at them, or "spics" whatnot.

There's a big difference between "nigger" and "nigga". 

Black people get to decide when "to let that shit go", not some idiot vlogger on the internet. 

If you were black you likely would have a very, very different life experience with that word, just a wild guess. 

So 300 years from now? people will still throw hissy fits over a word? common...

The fact that people are defending this is sad

JRPGfan said:
Soundwave said:

Depending on your personal family history we could up with specific words in context that I'm sure would piss you off (ie: if you have a brother with a mental illness, I'm sure you probably could lose it if you over heard someone joking about him being a nutcase, for example, while that word may mean little to someone else). 

The word PDP has been directede in a negative way by whites to blacks and has an ugly, ugly history. It is what it is. 

My brother did, and no Id probably just agree with them.

It might make me sad at most.

Or for example then in that case if you walked up and overheard you friends saying "family X (your family) is full of fucking nutcases" and included you in that context. 

Now yes, maybe you are so passive that would just let that slide, but most people in that context would not. 

Soundwave said:
o_O.Q said:

uh... so because i'm not ok with something being said, it should be outlawed? is that really where society is headed? lol

whore has had a negative historical context for women, do we then ban that too?

what about idiot? that has had a negative historical context for all people

do we then just look at the vocabulary and seek out words that we deem to be used malevolently and cut them from existance?

are we now heading towards a situation where we ban the ability of people to express disdain towards each other? 

you also refer to is as a personalised insult, how can something be personalised to someone if its not being directed at that person?

"You can say whatever you want. Just be prepared to deal with the consequences. "

yes i think that is what we need, to let people work these things out with each other

"Depending on your personal family history we could up with specific words in context that I'm sure would piss you off"

so what? again i must ask why should me being emotionally affected by something you say have any bearing ( within reason ) on your ability to express yourself?

"The word PDP has been directede in a negative way by whites to blacks and has an ugly, ugly history."

you didn't answer my question... are you for banning"whore", "slut", "idiot" etc etc etc

Around the Network
John19 said:

Pewdiepie is probably doing this to get attention.

Whats sad is people are reacting exactly as he wants. 

He ll make money off of people starting debates and thread, which will lead to attention and people checking out his video's.

All because of 1 word.

really whats sad is someone made a thread about it.

John19 said:

The fact that somebody gives a shit about what some dude said online is sad. Get up from your keyboard, find real concerns.

JRPGfan said:
John19 said:

He ll make money off of people starting debates and thread, which will lead to attention and people checking out his video's.

All because of 1 word.

Doubt it. He immediately apologized and hasn't archived that video yet (gee wonder why). 

He done fucked up. He probably uses the word casually likely with friends and it slipped out and now he knows he's likely going to lose a fair bit of money/potentially be kicked off Youtube even. 

It still amazes me how so many people get outraged at the idea of other people getting offended.

People have told others to shut up, that most of the assholes seem to be on this thread for being offended by a word, etc. Do you not see how hypocritical that is? You think people are overreacting to a word, but then you go getting offended enough to post something and even insult others or make blanket statements about them...because you don't like that they get offended.

Why is it more people on this thread think it's easier to tell people to not be offended by a word that has a very negative history (especially when that word is uttered with a strong ER ending and normalized to a group of viewers in the neighborhood of 57 million) rather than hold a person accountable for their actions?

There are moderators on this very forum. In public, we have free speech, but we have consequences, because our society still moderates what is an acceptable part of the lexicon. To ignore that and say it shouldn't is going against everything society has worked for in the last 10 thousand plus years.

And if you are part of the group saying, "well, things used to be less PC and people used to use the word all the time", the only reason that word was uttered by a non-black person before Hip Hop culture made it popular was because of racism. White people just didn't say that word for any other reason. So no, it wasn't that PC culture censored a group from saying a certain 6 letter word that never hurt anybody. It's use was always intended on being harmful. The people fighting for the right to say it may or may not realize that they are (implicitly or explicitly) holding onto that racist culture that existed long before PC culture said you can or can't say this word.

Soundwave said:
JRPGfan said:

All because of 1 word.

Doubt it. He immediately apologized and hasn't archived that video yet (gee wonder why). 

He done fucked up. He probably uses the word casually likely with friends and it slipped out and now he knows he's likely going to lose a fair bit of money/potentially be kicked off Youtube even. 

The KKK and such, along with muslims with extreme opinions, all have youtube videos (I think, havnt checked)

I doubt he ll get kicked off of youtube for saying the N word.

Lets stop overreacting okay?

remember when he paid those singing poor african's to make a sign and sing something really offensive to jews?

did he get kicked off of youtube? nah... this is small potatoes compaired to that.