By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Lichtspeer dev mentions Nintendo is working on an achievement system for Switch

To this day I see no reason to like achievements. If this turns out to be true, which I doubt, I will turn them off immediately. I'm not going to let an achievement system dictate HOW I'm supposed to have fun in a game.

Around the Network

I'm not gonna lie, this would make me play my Switch so much more. I don't care much for XBL achievements, but I love me some PSN trophies, and the idea of doing something similar with a Nintendo sounds very appealing. Fingers crossed this is true.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

GoOnKid said:

To this day I see no reason to like achievements. If this turns out to be true, which I doubt, I will turn them off immediately. I'm not going to let an achievement system dictate HOW I'm supposed to have fun in a game.

That's not at all how these systems work. They don't dictate anything, unless you yourself let them. They're simply there for the gamers that choose to go the extra mile with their favorite games. They're obviously cosmetic and mean nothing, but amongst gamers, they can seen as a sort of fun bragging right, as well as a metric used to see how much time and effort a person really puts into a game.

Plus, you can't deny it's great to use against those famboys that go around trashing other consoles and games, but don't even put much time in the ones they claim to love, or they simply don't play them period. Exposing can be fun ;)

I hope not.

DialgaMarine said:
GoOnKid said:

That's not at all how these systems work. They don't dictate anything, unless you yourself let them. They're simply there for the gamers that choose to go the extra mile with their favorite games. They're obviously cosmetic and mean nothing, but amongst gamers, they can seen as a sort of fun bragging right, as well as a metric used to see how much time and effort a person really puts into a game.

Plus, you can't deny it's great to use against those famboys that go around trashing other consoles and games, but don't even put much time in the ones they claim to love, or they simply don't play them period. Exposing can be fun ;)

None of this means anything to me. My ego is already big enough, I don't need to brag with useless nonsense. It's fine if you like it, but please refrain from trying to make it appealing to me. I already made up my mind a long time ago on this.

Around the Network

There are no negatives to having a trophy system. People that don't care for it, don't care for it and if added they won't mind it. The people that want it will be happy. win win for everyone...yay....

PSn - greencactaur
Nintendo Switch FC - SW - 5152 - 6393 - 5140 Please feel free to add me :)

I hope they implement one. I enjoy the achievement system and find I put extra time into some games due to achievements that I wouldn't otherwise.

Knowing Nintendo it will be a phone app that makes Uplay look cool.

Thespiralmatrix said:
I hope they implement one. I enjoy the achievement system and find I put extra time into some games due to achievements that I wouldn't otherwise.

Knowing Nintendo it will be a phone app that makes Uplay look cool.

And here's the thing: why wouldn't you otherwise? Because you feel like you've already completed this game.

A game should be good enough on it's own to make people play it. Achievement systems artificially create a feeling of leaving it unfinished. It appeals to an inherent feeling of completing things, we all have that. It's the reason that makes Pokemon players fill up every slot of the Pokedex, for example. But it's still that: artificial. It doesn't make the game any better. It let's you waste time on games that you actually don't even want to play anymore.

GoOnKid said:
DialgaMarine said:

None of this means anything to me. My ego is already big enough, I don't need to brag with useless nonsense. It's fine if you like it, but please refrain from trying to make it appealing to me. I already made up my mind a long time ago on this.

I don't personally care what you think, but your bitching is clearly intended to spread misinformation. I'm simply correcting it. 

DialgaMarine said:
GoOnKid said:

I don't personally care what you think, but your bitching is clearly intended to spread misinformation. I'm simply correcting it. 

Why are you offended about an opinion? There's nothing to correct, anyway.