By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One demand will surpass supply (Poll included)

How much of an impact will these factors have on demand?

None at all 214 50.23%

A minimal impact 156 36.62%

A significant impact 33 7.75%

A major impact 23 5.40%

Total:426
DroidKnight said:
The excitement I had for new powerful hardware apparently wasn't shared. PubG did well on the console, but I'm not sure how close it got to the 10 million. The 4K points I made had little to no impact on sales. Sales jumped for a little bit, but overall sales remained the same for 2018 that were shown in 2017. I was clearly wrong about closing the gap in the US sales against PS4.

This I believe is the worst sales prediction I've made on here, and hopefully I learned something about letting my enthusiasm affect my judgement.

I'm not scared to try any type of food, I can take my crow prepared anyway it's served.

You are a big man for bumping this up.  Mad props.

I will say, that a lot of people make the mistake of thinking that power = sales, when in reality the opposite is usually true.  I mean if you could have the power of XB1X at the same price as a vanilla XB1, then yeah people would want it.  But power always makes the price increase.  Most gamers prefer the hardware to be cheaper.

On the other hand XB1 hardware sales were up for most of 2018.  I bet PubG contributed to that.

Around the Network
DroidKnight said:
The excitement I had for new powerful hardware apparently wasn't shared. PubG did well on the console, but I'm not sure how close it got to the 10 million. The 4K points I made had little to no impact on sales. Sales jumped for a little bit, but overall sales remained the same for 2018 that were shown in 2017. I was clearly wrong about closing the gap in the US sales against PS4.

This I believe is the worst sales prediction I've made on here, and hopefully I learned something about letting my enthusiasm affect my judgement.

I'm not scared to try any type of food, I can take my crow prepared anyway it's served.

Yeah the xbox brand is severely damaged and the Playstation brand only getting stronger. You weren't the only one to over estimate it. 

The_Liquid_Laser said:
DroidKnight said:

You are a big man for bumping this up.  Mad props.

I will say, that a lot of people make the mistake of thinking that power = sales, when in reality the opposite is usually true.  I mean if you could have the power of XB1X at the same price as a vanilla XB1, then yeah people would want it.  But power always makes the price increase.  Most gamers prefer the hardware to be cheaper.

On the other hand XB1 hardware sales were up for most of 2018.  I bet PubG contributed to that.

I would think the Xbox One X has done more to stimulate console sales than PUBG. Bear in mind PUBG did well on X1 because its already a popular platform for competitive shooters and that's happening on PS4 now.

I think there is an audience out there that wants the most powerful console that also happens to have a strong support, perhaps they bought the X1X. There were exisiting X1 users that upgraded like myself. So even if the X1X is a fraction of overall X1 sales, I think its doing well enough to give a boost.

Last edited by Mr Puggsly - on 12 January 2019

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

flashfire926 said:
JRPGfan said:

And Fornite has like 200m+ (unique players) by Nov 2018. 
I dont blame the OP though, it was impossible to know before hand how big Fortnite would be.
Fortnite basically killed PuBG.

As we speak PUBG just came out on PSN and was the number one most downloaded game last month. 

Honestly, saying pubg is dead is trolling at this point since we have a lot evidence suggest otherwise.

This. PUBG actually still has more players than Fortnite.

PUBG has 400m lifetime players and 227m monthly players.

Fortnite has 200m lifetime players and 78.3m monthly players.

https://mmos.com/news/pubg-hits-400m-total-players-227m-monthly-active-users-87m-daily-active-counting-mobile

https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/fortnite/2018/9/20/17884036/how-many-fortnite-monthly-players-2018

Must be nice being a dead game.

DroidKnight said:

Good for you , It would be great if others followed your example.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network
jason1637 said:
flashfire926 said:

As we speak PUBG just came out on PSN and was the number one most downloaded game last month. 

Honestly, saying pubg is dead is trolling at this point since we have a lot evidence suggest otherwise.

https://mmos.com/news/pubg-hits-400m-total-players-227m-monthly-active-users-87m-daily-active-counting-mobile

https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/fortnite/2018/9/20/17884036/how-many-fortnite-monthly-players-2018

But only like 50m of those players are on Pc + Console.
The majorty of those 400m players (~350m ish) are from Smart Phone users, from like China.

I think in the west, on pc and consoles it does look like fortnite killed it.

flashfire926 said:
JRPGfan said:

And Fornite has like 200m+ (unique players) by Nov 2018. 
I dont blame the OP though, it was impossible to know before hand how big Fortnite would be.
Fortnite basically killed PuBG.

But you can be certain that the 1 year it took to launch on PS4 and Fortnite coming earlier did a good impact on total sales PUBG can have on the platform.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Wow. This prediction was a doozy! And it only happened not even a year and a half ago. Yeah, Xbox One X is already seeing large discounts in just year one of its existence. I'm sure MS was hoping it would be a healthier selling platform without having to take losses on it already. Heck, the platform in general had $100 off deals for the last three months of the year just to have a pulse.

really cool to necro this OP, +respect.

I think the jump from 1080 > 4k really has let down a lot of peoples expectations especially given that "no compromises" talk regarding 4k on X1X meant in Super Lucky Tales and Forza, I've always been a size over res person anyway so I know I'm not the target audience for resolution, up until this year I was more keen to use my 768p projector before upgrading to a 1080p version of it last year but considering it's connected to my 780ti , Switch and PS4 (non pro) I'm very much settled in the land of 1080p

I think some other things hurt your prediction as well though, the success of the Switch couldn't really have been expected to continue on the trend that it did and the PS4's first party and exclusive games really did show up the lack of same on the rival X1 family of systems.

Pubg's runaway success ran into some stiff competition in Fortnite which runs on everything from mobile devices to X1X/PS4P so the exclusive value of that title took a dusting in the form of some flossing 8 year olds!

Still though, takes balls to make a prediction like that and even more so to necro it, Good stuff.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

JRPGfan said:
jason1637 said:

But only like 50m of those players are on Pc + Console.
The majorty of those 400m players (~350m ish) are from Smart Phone users, from like China.

I think in the west, on pc and consoles it does look like fortnite killed it.

And? Most of Fortnite players are probably on mobile also.

Edit: https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/18/18146774/pubg-mobile-players-fortnite Fornite and PUBG average 30m mobile players a day. So fornite had 78.1m monthly players so its safe to assume that most of that is mobile.

Last edited by jason1637 - on 12 January 2019