By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - A $1,000 per month cash handout would grow the U.S economy by $2.5 trillion, new study says

Tagged games:

with or without one child policy, because without, you can expect a drastic growth in childbirth as well? but fun aside, can someone make a study about the question: in a world where all basic needs are covered for everyone, how many peoply have to work to keep the system going? i mean, food, healthcare, shelter and so on have to be provided by someone and i doubt robots can cover everything yet.

Around the Network

I bet this "study" was made by millennials XD

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

Aeolus451 said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

Way to prove my earlier comment. 

Where's the money gonna come from, sherlocke? The government is not some giant tit that provides succor to the masses. It's purpose is to provide security, rule of law and a stable envirnoment for it's people thrive in. People pay taxes and behave in exchange for that. People are supposed to earn their own way through life.

How about the left just pays for their own stupid ideas. No federal or state money. Just out of their own pockets. You can do whatever you want then. 

Obviously it's going to magically appear in the air right? That's obviously what all the studies that have been done on this concept assume. 

This is how my thought process works:

*Weird Idea is stated* Oh wow that's weird, hmm would that work. *Various studies show it doesn't work* Yeah, thought so. *Various studies show it does* Oh wow that's interesting. 

Your thought process:
*Weird Idea is stated* Fuck that *Various studies show it doesn't work* Duh obviously. *Various studies show it does* Fuck that, nope. 

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Ka-pi96 said:
Aeolus451 said:

Where's the money gonna come from, sherlocke? The government is not some giant tit that provides succor to the masses. It's purpose is to provide security, rule of law and a stable envirnoment for it's people thrive in. People pay taxes and behave in exchange for that. People are supposed to earn their own way through life.

How about the left just pays for their own stupid ideas. No federal or state money. Just out of their own pockets. You can do whatever you want then. 

If they actually had their own money they probably wouldn't spend their time begging for other people's money

Don't you know how much Hillarity got paid for a speech?   They just want working people to pay for their bribes to the masses for their votes. 

As a rich person, no thanks.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
TallSilhouette said:
I'm very curious what alternatives the naysayers in this thread propose when nearly half the jobs are lost to automation within 20 years (unemployment during the Great Depression peaked at ~25%, for reference). What should we do when millions and millions of people are downright unemployable through no fault of their own? Just say "you're on your own" and let them die?

Companies will create new jobs, they need people to have money to buy their products, that's how capitalism works.

I've even seen it in action. People who's job is to press elevator buttons and announce which floor it has stopped at... one of the most pointless jobs ever, yet it exists.

Do you really think enough new jobs will be created to compensate for the tens/hundreds of millions lost? What innovation is going to spark this boom? Cuz unlike previous industrial revolutions' ability to enhance human input, the autonomous revolution is all about replacing it. The number of jobs created making, maintaining, and updating these machines pales in comparison to all of the jobs in numerous fields that these machines will eliminate. Is the answer just 'make-work' like that mindless elevator operator, then? Is that progress? 

ArchangelMadzz said:
Aeolus451 said:

Obviously it's going to magically appear in the air right? That's obviously what all the studies that have been done on this concept assume. 

*Weird Idea is stated* Oh wow that's weird, hmm would that work. *Various studies show it doesn't work* Yeah, thought so. *Various studies show it does* Oh wow that's interesting. 

Your thought process:
*Weird Idea is stated* Fuck that *Various studies show it doesn't work* Duh obviously. *Various studies show it does* Fuck that, nope. 

We know stealing other people's money 'works', it's just extremely inefficient. It's better for the economy if people provide their own products/services to make $1000 instead of stealing it off somebody else.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

TallSilhouette said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Companies will create new jobs, they need people to have money to buy their products, that's how capitalism works.

I've even seen it in action. People who's job is to press elevator buttons and announce which floor it has stopped at... one of the most pointless jobs ever, yet it exists.

Do you really think enough new jobs will be created to compensate for the tens/hundreds of millions lost? ....

Yes.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Pyro as Bill said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

Your thought process:

We know stealing other people's money 'works', it's just extremely inefficient. It's better for the economy if people provide their own products/services to make $1000 instead of stealing it off somebody else.

Studies apparently show it isn't. In fact various studies show people are more likely to work even harder. 

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

TallSilhouette said:
I'm very curious what alternatives the naysayers in this thread propose when nearly half the jobs are lost to automation within 20 years (unemployment during the Great Depression peaked at ~25%, for reference). What should we do when millions and millions of people are downright unemployable through no fault of their own? Just say "you're on your own" and let them die?

If it were the case the US would be losing 350,000 job positions a month, right now, on average. Even more, I assume, since one would expect the first years of automation to be faster, given all the low hanging fruit, and since there are still advances to come on computing until 2025 or so, when we run out of die shrinks and even die stacking. Even now, the complexity of neural networks and algorithms matches and demands more of hardware, after all. Instead, even, most of the countries on the technological forefront, such as the US, Germany, Japan and South Korea have all some of the lowest unemployment rates on the world.

Not to mention it varies from country to country, with most developed economies outside the US standing to lose less to automation even according to those predictions. That include countries with a shrinking population and workforce, such as Japan, where, you might imagine, automating large swadths of the workfore over the upcoming decades might seem a Heaven-sent gift to fill all those vacant spots and keep their economy from shrinking.

These negative outlooks pop up from time to time since the industrial revolution. Time and time again we severely overestimate the capacities of our own machines and underestimate the adaptability of the market. Hell, Azimov in the fifties said that in the year 2000 the only job left would be of the psychiatrist, to take care of the unemployed, obsolete human masses thanks to robots.

In fact, the current 2025 labour outlook for the US is many new job spots to open until then, specially on health care, so I wouldn't take seriously the Silicon Valley equivalent of "no arctic icecap by 2020!" alarmists.