By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NBA 2K18 for Switch has same content and modes as PS4 version, runs at 30fps

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
People are so quick to say that gameplay and framerate are better than graphics, but don't complain about this port...

It's not hypocritical, just kind of interesting.

I would have loved it to be 60FPS. On the other hand, I'm very aware how much the Switch lags behind the XBO and PS4 in raw power, so it's a bit expected that many bigger multiplats will only be 30FPS on Switch. The question for me is the resolution. If it's 1080p in docked mode they could have chosen to make it 60FPS 720p instead (and 30FPS in portable mode as I doubt it could run at 60fps then).

Well, at least it's feature complete (apart from custom logos) and with the same graphics as it's bigger counterparts, probably won't be too many games who will do that either.

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
Unfortunate about the framerate but I hope people who like sports games won't mind.

Well, I don't think it'll be as noticeable for basketball as it'd be say, for racing games.

HintHRO said:
People are so quick to say that gameplay and framerate are better than graphics, but don't complain about this port...

Because it's a Switch game. 

The same will happen with Sonic Forces which apparently runs at 30fps on Switch and 60 on other consoles. A game at that speed should be close to 60fps, but on Switch it doesn't matter suddenly.

"Suddenly"?... Console games have only recently been hitting 60fps consistantly. Even the PS4 Pro does run all games at 60fps. Harizon zero dawn is a good example

'Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock-n-roll.'
-Shigeru Miyamoto

HintHRO said:

The same will happen with Sonic Forces which apparently runs at 30fps on Switch and 60 on other consoles. A game at that speed should be close to 60fps, but on Switch it doesn't matter suddenly.

No offense, but most people wanted 60 fps on sonic forces. 2k isn't gonna be hurt from 30 fps. Basketball works as long as it's 30+ and consistent.

30 fps is kind of a bummer, but honestly, probably about 50% of my time in 2K is spent menuing, managing lineups, drafting, signing free agents, making trades, etc.

I really wasn't considering getting any sports games for the Switch, but all of the sudden, the thought of turning around a beleaguered franchise while on an airplane for a few hours sounds really appealing.

Around the Network

Framerate is more important than graphics, that's for sure. But considering almost every game on the original PS4 is 30 fps, that shouldn't be a problem.

guiduc said:
HintHRO said:

We complained so much about getting ports on Nintendo platforms, we have learnt to shut the fuck up when we get one xD

It's like starving in India - you get rancid loaf, you eat it.

In that case, rain, rain down, on me!

d21lewis said:

Most of the time, I can't really tell the differences between different consoles. Not since the GameCube days. I watch Digital Foundry videos and they show screen tearing and frame drops and it effects which version I buy. Then, later on, I play the other version (at a discount or even free) and I don't really notice anything.  I've ever played cross generation versions of games like Tomb Raider 2013 and not really be blown away by the changes. 

I have this mental thing where I think I'm missing out. When I bought Ff13 for PS3, it was because I couldn't imagine playing the blurry mess of the Xbox 360. Then I played it and they were pretty identical. I still buy the best version I can, though.

To end my rant, I'm just buying this game on the Switch to impress some coworkers. I'm just glad it's not going to be the bigger downgrade I was expecting!

That's kind of weird. PS3 and XB360 multiplats are sometimes so different, you can actually see the difference on youtube(LOL). I'm not aware about differences in sports titles, since I don't play though.

Mandalore76 said:

The point isnt that 30fps is or isnt acceptable, i think it is although id imagine sports games benefit from framerate. I just think the priority should probably be on framerate, and id argue the reason no one is complaining has more to do with wanting to promote one of Switch's "big third party" ports. Its all about framerate until it isnt, lol.

But what would really be considered a gimped port in this case?  Leveling the framerate to 30 FPS, or achieving 60 FPS but leaving out entire features like My Career, My GM, or My Player Story?  I have to believe that more people would buy a feature complete game over one that only prioritized the frame rate.  It's built with the same engine as the other current gen versions with all the same modes as those versions have.  I bought a Madden game on 3DS once that didn't even have a Franchise mode.  I traded it in almost immediately.  Features and modes are more important, to me anyway.  I'll be getting NBA 2K18 on Switch when it releases.

No offense, but isn't this kind of a fallacy? I was addressing the part where the devs prioritized 30fps with graphics on par with the PS4 version, instead of prioritizing 60fps. Prioritizing 60fps while downscaling the graphics does not automatically take game modes away - if anything, better graphics would be more likely to take content away since they require more storage on a system that is lacking storage and is on expensive cartridges. But that's neither here nor there, since we're just talking about framerate vs graphics, not content.

Bofferbrauer2 said:

I would have loved it to be 60FPS. On the other hand, I'm very aware how much the Switch lags behind the XBO and PS4 in raw power, so it's a bit expected that many bigger multiplats will only be 30FPS on Switch. The question for me is the resolution. If it's 1080p in docked mode they could have chosen to make it 60FPS 720p instead (and 30FPS in portable mode as I doubt it could run at 60fps then).

Well, at least it's feature complete (apart from custom logos) and with the same graphics as it's bigger counterparts, probably won't be too many games who will do that either.

That's fair. I'm more or less just talking about the contrast in reception by Nintendo players, rather than the quality of the port, which seems fairly high. But you are right.

HintHRO said:

Or perhaps some people will be happy to have the game portable.

VGPolyglot said:
KLAMarine said:
Unfortunate about the framerate but I hope people who like sports games won't mind.

Well, I don't think it'll be as noticeable for basketball as it'd be say, for racing games.

Indeed. I don't think bball games rely on lightning-fast reflexes.

KLAMarine said:
VGPolyglot said:

Indeed. I don't think bball games rely on lightning-fast reflexes.

Obviously 60fps would be preferable, but those who want the best performance would obviously go with a different platform in the first place.