By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NBA 2K18 for Switch has same content and modes as PS4 version, runs at 30fps

Nuvendil said:
curl-6 said:

Not sure why it's so big tbh... lots of audio commentary perhaps?

Audio is one of the biggest culprits of unneeded bloat.  I remember when Titanfall came out and it was 50GB and had 30GB of audio.  Keep in mind it had a limited soundtrack  AND limited dialogue cause there's no singleplayer campaign.

Yeah it just baffles me how bloated some games are, even ones with relatively little content seem to routinely breach the 50GB mark these days. Do devs just not bother with compression any more?

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Nuvendil said:

Audio is one of the biggest culprits of unneeded bloat.  I remember when Titanfall came out and it was 50GB and had 30GB of audio.  Keep in mind it had a limited soundtrack  AND limited dialogue cause there's no singleplayer campaign.

Yeah it just baffles me how bloated some games are, even ones with relatively little content seem to routinely breach the 50GB mark these days. Do devs just not bother with compression any more?

Yeah, pretty much.  The moment games didn't have to fit and run from the physical media, it went from being their problem to our problem. 

But some devs are better than others.  Like Bloodborne, which doesn't even reach 40 GB.  Which really highlights how BS it is when a linear shooter with a 7 hour campaign or NO campaign comes in at over double that.

Nuvendil said:
curl-6 said:

Yeah, pretty much.  The moment games didn't have to fit and run from the physical media, it went from being their problem to our problem. 

But some devs are better than others.  Like Bloodborne, which doesn't even reach 40 GB.  Which really highlights how BS it is when a linear shooter with a 7 hour campaign or NO campaign comes in at over double that.

At least Nintendo seems to be keeping a lid on their file sizes, with even the massive XCX clocking in at a manageable 22GB.

curl-6 said:
Nuvendil said:

At least Nintendo seems to be keeping a lid on their file sizes, with even the massive XCX clocking in at a manageable 22GB.

Well Nintendo has completely avoided mandatory installs.

Nuvendil said:
curl-6 said:

Well Nintendo has completely avoided mandatory installs.

Well, except Breath of the Wild on Wii U. ;) But yeah, since those are mostly to get around the limitations of streaming from an optical drive, you don't really need them on a cartridge based system like Switch.