By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New Xenoblade 2 gameplay

Mar1217 said:
VAMatt said:

Yeah.  I'm serious.  Go listen to the sound of footsteps in XCX, then tell me what you think.

Ok, just looked at it(twice) and I know where you coming from. But, I guess I just don't mind about the sound of footsteps at all. In the end, it still sounds like one of the weirdest complaints I heard about a video game,lol. 

You don't even hear it when you're in battle mode too.

I'm also hoping that they increased the font size for on-screen text.  In XCX, it was basically impossible to read on the WiiU gamepad screen.  I'm looking forward to the portability factor of the new game.  So, they best make it comfortable to play on the small screen.

Around the Network
HintHRO said:

You can easily distinguish slow downs caused by streaming issues or if they're part of the game. After 16 minutes you see huge framerate issues with sluggish camera movements while the movements of the three guys in the lower corner are smooth. This means the stream itself is a steady 30fps, while the game is not. You can find many more examples of the game running smooth in certain areas (28:00) and sluggish in others (35:40). This means the game is having difficulties running smooth at certain areas, not that the quality of the stream exactly in those areas was either better or worse. 

I thought the same thing until I watched the direct archived footage from Nintendo UK (or Nintendo Deutschland) that's linked in this thread.  I even compared a lot of the timestamps you pointed out and saw that the direct footage didn't suffer the slowdowns/choppiness that the NinEverything recording had.

wombat123 said:
HintHRO said:

You can easily distinguish slow downs caused by streaming issues or if they're part of the game. After 16 minutes you see huge framerate issues with sluggish camera movements while the movements of the three guys in the lower corner are smooth. This means the stream itself is a steady 30fps, while the game is not. You can find many more examples of the game running smooth in certain areas (28:00) and sluggish in others (35:40). This means the game is having difficulties running smooth at certain areas, not that the quality of the stream exactly in those areas was either better or worse. 

I thought the same thing until I watched the direct archived footage from Nintendo UK (or Nintendo Deutschland) that's linked in this thread.  I even compared a lot of the timestamps you pointed out and saw that the direct footage didn't suffer the slowdowns/choppiness that the NinEverything recording had.

There are indeed frame rate issues, but not as overblown as many are pointing out. In general, the game runs fine. Like you're saying, in NE's footage the Sagie of 35:40 looks like is slowing down, but in NUK's video (3:07:20) such a thing doesn't happen. Take also notice that Rex's swings often are accompanied by an effect that makes the impression of weight, so the center of the screen seems to be experiencing hiccups, but that's not the case. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Nuvendil said:

Just fyi, if you go to Nintendo Deutschland, they have a variant of the stream that at least seems to be of higher quality with fewer quality issues and dropped frames and a more crisp image:

https://youtu.be/NerM3G1-d0Y?t=9166

Also, did anyone notice the Nopon character Tora was using a different shield to what he had at E3 despite having the same Blade?  So it seems you can get new weapons or upgrade/transform your weapon.  

Cheers, I was waiting for them to post a separate video of just the XB2 segment like they did for other games, but they haven't yet, so I changed the OP vid to the Nintendo stream.

VAMatt said:

I'm also hoping that they increased the font size for on-screen text.  In XCX, it was basically impossible to read on the WiiU gamepad screen.  I'm looking forward to the portability factor of the new game.  So, they best make it comfortable to play on the small screen.

You're in luck; they specifically say in the video that they increased the UI size so it's more viewable when playing portably.

The slowdown is the stream.
The reason the game looks worse than XCX is purely art direction rather than technical details.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:
The reason the game looks worse than XCX is purely art direction rather than technical details.

I honestly dont see where this game looks worse than XCX.For me is a clear improvement over all.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Nautilus said:
Jumpin said:

I honestly dont see where this game looks worse than XCX.For me is a clear improvement over all.

Bexause of the uglier generic art style. Particularly the characters. Even Xenosaga had better character models.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
Nautilus said:

Bexause of the uglier generic art style. Particularly the characters. Even Xenosaga had better character models.

Then honestly your opinion is in the minority.I mean, the design for the world and general art style is basically the same as XCX, but improved, so I dont see how this one is generic and that one isnt.As for the charachters, yeah they are different, but for me and Im sure for most this one is miles better.It simply has a sharper design, faces and expressions are miles better and simply looks better.I was one that didnt have an issue with XCX faces, but I wasnt a fan of them, especially their lack of animation.Being different for the sake of being different is wrong, and for me that was the problem for the character design in XCX

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

I hate to be a drag but I kinda agree with Jumpin on this one, so far XB2 looks less visually impressive than XCX to me.

Nautilus said:
Jumpin said:

Then honestly your opinion is in the minority.I mean, the design for the world and general art style is basically the same as XCX, but improved, so I dont see how this one is generic and that one isnt.As for the charachters, yeah they are different, but for me and Im sure for most this one is miles better.It simply has a sharper design, faces and expressions are miles better and simply looks better.I was one that didnt have an issue with XCX faces, but I wasnt a fan of them, especially their lack of animation.Being different for the sake of being different is wrong, and for me that was the problem for the character design in XCX

I think the overall graphics of XCX are honestly better. If it wasn't for the ugly ass faces in XCX, it would have much better character designs too.