By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Death Note (A Netflix Film) Reviews - 37 Metacritic - 30% RottenTomatoes

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Nem said:
Not surprising. When directors/writers/producers set off to make their own version of an established frachise, things always end in disaster.

There's nothing wrong with "making your own"  version of something as long as there is enough talent to realize it. 

OP : Very weird this was even made. Kind of expected it to be crap. Death Note already isn't the best source material as it is. 

I disagree. Unless you actually know the source material in and out and respect it, you have no place making your own version of it.

This movie is an insult to the source material.

Around the Network
setsunatenshi said:
I checked out when I saw the casting picks... why not pick actual teenagers to play highschoolers?

what a clusterfuck this ended up to be. fuck them for actually tainting the Death Note name...

Glad to see the industry still puts early to late 20s actors as high schoolers.  It isn't too bad in some films but a majority of films love using older actors as kids.

They should have picked different actors that actually suited the characters and stayed close to the source material.

monocle_layton said:

It's disgusting how Hollywood acts as though we will all turn into xenophobes and ignore anything which isn't another shitty, edgy movie with loads of action and romance. Naruto, Dragonball, Death Note, and so many other shows are loved in the West. This movie should've been good at the worst.

I don't get this?

Many live action adaptations tried too hard to be what they aren't. Dragonball Evolutions, Street fighter, and many other games with movie(s) tend to not have what makes their franchise special.

No one said this had to be a copy of the source. No one cares if L is black or if Misa is slightly smarter. The dramatic changes however turn it into a forgettable and awful movie.

We don't need action scenes, explosions, and romance in every movie we see. 

pls holywood get more orginal stop rehashing ideas etc

Around the Network
Turkish said:
pls holywood get more orginal stop rehashing ideas etc

Can't wait for Xmen 100 and The Avengers 20 to drop!

That was predictable.....
The trailer does not seems good, I was worried about characterization, and I feel my worries are confirmed..

monocle_layton said:

I don't get this?

Many live action adaptations tried too hard to be what they aren't. Dragonball Evolutions, Street fighter, and many other games with movie(s) tend to not have what makes their franchise special.

No one said this had to be a copy of the source. No one cares if L is black or if Misa is slightly smarter. The dramatic changes however turn it into a forgettable and awful movie.

We don't need action scenes, explosions, and romance in every movie we see. 

I don't know. Hollowood often doesn't get foreign films and books so they just change alot of things without understanding what they're changing. They aren't fans of the material and they don't appreciate it. Take street fighter for example. Instead of Ryu being the protagonist of the story, they instead americanize it by focusing on Guile/Van Damme leading a international force against an evil dictator. It was a horrible movie and it pissed off any street fighter fans. 

Just from that trailer, they didn't capture the characters at all and they likely added in some things for political correctness. Their looks played some part in their personalities or reflected them. Kira looks he's in a boy band or looks good enough to be in one. He's a egotistical genius who starts a vigelante killing spree. Misa is supposed to be a idiot pop singer/model who was attacked by a stalker and saved by kira. Kira just uses her. L is supposed to be this sick/emo looking  genius dectective that has alot social issues or quirks. They didn't capture the spirit of the characters or the IP at all.

Netflix produced ( not picked up after successful festival run) movies are absolutely shite. They are just abysmal. This is no suprise to me.

Rule in my book, if its got a netflix logo, avoid it like the plague.

Nem said:

There's nothing wrong with "making your own"  version of something as long as there is enough talent to realize it. 

OP : Very weird this was even made. Kind of expected it to be crap. Death Note already isn't the best source material as it is. 

I disagree. Unless you actually know the source material in and out and respect it, you have no place making your own version of it.

This movie is an insult to the source material.

I agree with that.