By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony wont allow ARK devs to have crossplay between PSN and Xbox Live.

malistix1985 said:
Sony isn't being very user friendly with this because they are deciding for players, why don't they make a poll or some other way like a online form to ask players what they want.

There are also so many ways to let players optionally opt in to crossplay or not.

I like the PS4 but for many of the good things Sony has done this is deffenitely one of their low points this gen, working togheter to get more players to play togheter is something we all should want.

There is a poll.  It's called voting with your wallet.  Guess who's winning that one?  And in the US, MS's home and best market?

aLkaLiNE said:

Embrace, extend, extinguish. I wouldn't want anything to do with MS if I were Sony either.

to be clear, Sony does allow cross play. Everyone knows they allow cross play. It's particularily the Xbox brand that they don't want anything to do with. Look up the EEE strategy Microsoft employs for competitors. Embrace, extend, extinguish

Exactly.  If I were Nintendo, and its fans, I wouldn't act like them embracing Xbox crossplay, and MS, as a good thing.  It'll also be interesting to see how gamers react to the more immature gamers from each side when they start bringing the console wars to multiplayer.

Around the Network
SickleSigh said:
Azzanation said:
I would love to comnrnt however ill have the risk of being reported.
I will say, its pretty sad. Guess Sony are looking after there Audience by not allowing this.. unless its PC of course.

Wait so companies are supposed to help competion and go against their best interest? News to me

If thats the case than Sony should have said so in the beginning.

Azzanation said:
SickleSigh said:

Wait so companies are supposed to help competion and go against their best interest? News to me

If thats the case than Sony should have said so in the beginning.

And tobaco companies shouldve told us smoking causes cancer sooner. Inviting bad press and negative public image is bad, Im sorry your console fanboyim doesn't apply to real business

Warned ~ CGI

Enemy said:

I don't understand why people are kissing Microsoft's butt. The only reason they want crossplay is because they are losing. They blocked crossplay with every platform up until Rocket League in 2016.

Sony supported it for every platform while Microsoft blocked it. Now it seems they're telling Microsoft to get lost.

Judging by the circumstances I don't blame them. Microsoft thought they could do a 180 when it benefited them. I also don't want crossplay to be a mandatory thing going forward.

MS were rightly critized for blocking crossplay before, wouldn't you agree that it is highly hypocritical of both MS and Sony now to have the roles reversed? 

Good guy Sony protecting their exclusive right so they can more exclusive while they exclusive. Exclusiveness is the best thing that ever happened to gaming. It's so great.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
twintail said:
Cloudman said:
Well, it seems more clear that crossplay isn't gonna be happening between Sony and the other companies.

Been obvious from when they first denied it.

Alkibiádēs said:
What developers should do is only provide updates, patches and dlc to platforms that support Cross-play. Like how Minecraft on the PS4 won't get the 4K texture pack, but the other consoles will.

Lol and screw over their bigger userbase?

Truth of the matter is that while MS is in their right not to give that update to PS4 users, they are basically being as anti-consumer and saying that this policy is more important to them than their PS4 MC fans. Aka, business before consumers.

You think less people will buy Minecraft on PS4 now? No, the same amount of people will still buy the game (give or take a few). Those people will just get a less good version to play because Sony doesn't want to embrace cross-play (which is beneficial to developers and consumers alike). Sony isn't just screwing over their consumers, but also (small) developers. 

Let's be real here, Xbox One won't all of a sudden start selling significantly more if Sony allowed cross-play. Playstation still has a more powerful base console (for the same price as an Xbox One), a more popular brand (especially in Europe and Japan) and it has better and more exclusives than the Xbox platform. PS4 sells more than Xbox One because it's simply the superior option and allowing cross-play won't change any of that. Not allowing it just comes across as petty to me. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Since when having gamers become businessmen? Do we seriously care about what is best for Sony or Microsoft's wallet? This is something Microsoft was rightly criticized for, so why should it be different this time?

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

twintail said:
Alkibiádēs said:

You think less people will buy Minecraft on PS4 now? No, the same amount of people will still buy the game (give or take a few). Those people will just get a less good version to play because Sony doesn't want to embrace cross-play (which is beneficial to developers and consumers alike). Sony isn't just screwing over their consumers, but also (small) developers. 

I never said nor implied that less ppl would buy MC on PS4. I was replying to your extremely dumb remark that devs should just provide updates to games that support cross play. Not only because the PS4 userbase for many games is most likely higher, but because PS4 does have cross platform play, just not with X1.

and lol, this works both ways. MS could easily give PS4 owners the updates but they are holding it ransom as a means to force Sonys hand to allow something that is going to benefit them (them being MS). So Im sorry, MS is screwing over PS4 MC fans just as much as Sony is, and even worse so since cross platform doesnt even need to be a requisite for a new update to the game. But like I said, its their game and they can do as they please with it. 

Alkibiádēs said:

Let's be real here, Xbox One won't all of a sudden start selling significantly more if Sony allowed cross-play. Playstation still has a more powerful base console (for the same price as an Xbox One), a more popular brand (especially in Europe and Japan) and it has better and more exclusives than the Xbox platform. PS4 sells more than Xbox One because it's simply the superior option and allowing cross-play won't change any of that. Not allowing it just comes across as petty to me. 

The operateive word here is not significantly, as you are framing your reply. Its about ensuring that their business remains as profitable as it can possibly be. Thats what all buisness aim for: maximum profitability. It is the exact same reason MS is pushing for cross platform play because they know that it will make gamers less dependent on requiring a PS4 for multplatform games which in turn means that interest in the XB1 increases. Its a move aimed at increasing their profitability because of the reasons you said that make PS4 more attractive. Not being able to do cross platform play can, in many cases, seal the deal for which console someone buys. 

tldr: Sony not wanting cross platform play is a business decision. MS wanting cross platform is equally a business play. Just because you are behind the idea of cross platform play doesnt make it any less a decision MS made for business reasons. 

barneystinson69 said:

Since when having gamers become businessmen? Do we seriously care about what is best for Sony or Microsoft's wallet? This is something Microsoft was rightly criticized for, so why should it be different this time?

So because we are gamers we cant use a gaming dedicated forum to talk about the business sides of the gaming industry? Thats seems oddly... restrictive. Just because some of us can acknowledge the business side from all the companies involved in regards to this issue of cross platform play, doesnt mean we do or dont support said companys choice.

Frankly, I think cross platform play among all devices is good, but I can at least see why MS is pursuing it and why Sony isnt. 

No, but as a gamer, I don't see why anyone would care if this decision will sell Sony a few more PS4's, or Microsoft a few more Xbox One's unless you are a shareholder in the business. Sony preventing people from playing with others on their platform is an understandable business decision, but it it has a negative effect on gamers.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

barneystinson69 said:
twintail said:

I never said nor implied that less ppl would buy MC on PS4. I was replying to your extremely dumb remark that devs should just provide updates to games that support cross play. Not only because the PS4 userbase for many games is most likely higher, but because PS4 does have cross platform play, just not with X1.

and lol, this works both ways. MS could easily give PS4 owners the updates but they are holding it ransom as a means to force Sonys hand to allow something that is going to benefit them (them being MS). So Im sorry, MS is screwing over PS4 MC fans just as much as Sony is, and even worse so since cross platform doesnt even need to be a requisite for a new update to the game. But like I said, its their game and they can do as they please with it. 

The operateive word here is not significantly, as you are framing your reply. Its about ensuring that their business remains as profitable as it can possibly be. Thats what all buisness aim for: maximum profitability. It is the exact same reason MS is pushing for cross platform play because they know that it will make gamers less dependent on requiring a PS4 for multplatform games which in turn means that interest in the XB1 increases. Its a move aimed at increasing their profitability because of the reasons you said that make PS4 more attractive. Not being able to do cross platform play can, in many cases, seal the deal for which console someone buys. 

tldr: Sony not wanting cross platform play is a business decision. MS wanting cross platform is equally a business play. Just because you are behind the idea of cross platform play doesnt make it any less a decision MS made for business reasons. 

So because we are gamers we cant use a gaming dedicated forum to talk about the business sides of the gaming industry? Thats seems oddly... restrictive. Just because some of us can acknowledge the business side from all the companies involved in regards to this issue of cross platform play, doesnt mean we do or dont support said companys choice.

Frankly, I think cross platform play among all devices is good, but I can at least see why MS is pursuing it and why Sony isnt. 

No, but as a gamer, I don't see why anyone would care if this decision will sell Sony a few more PS4's, or Microsoft a few more Xbox One's unless you are a shareholder in the business. Sony preventing people from playing with others on their platform is an understandable business decision, but it it has a negative effect on gamers.

twintail you my friend are a very understanding and rational guy, it's nice to see people also understand other sides of the situation and just to throw in my 2cents worth as a gamer you should be concerned with what the company is doing with the platfrom you are on. I want A or  B game to sell well because I want more and if not helping their rivals at the expense of annoying some people is what they have to do than so be it. Its all about staying on top and keeping the pros higher than the cons. This is such a hugh topic people seem to not understand I so gonna bring this up on the podcast when our bussines guy gets back haha fuck me so not used to these forums my bad

twintail said:
Alkibiádēs said:

Yes, of course MS can provide updates to PS4 version of Minecraft as well. But the problem is that now this version is separate from the others. So adding some content to it requires to do it specifically for PS4 version. While the version of Minecraft on the other platforms is built on some unified framework which makes adding content way simplier.