By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony wont allow ARK devs to have crossplay between PSN and Xbox Live.

VGPolyglot said:
vivster said:
Good guy Sony protecting their exclusive right so they can more exclusive while they exclusive. Exclusiveness is the best thing that ever happened to gaming. It's so great.

I miss it when each version of the same game had drastic differences depending on which console/handheld/computer you played it on. It gave an actual reason to collect the various versions of a game.

This happened to multiplats on the Wii and Wii U..

Around the Network
malistix1985 said:
Sony isn't being very user friendly with this because they are deciding for players, why don't they make a poll or some other way like a online form to ask players what they want.

There are also so many ways to let players optionally opt in to crossplay or not.

I like the PS4 but for many of the good things Sony has done this is deffenitely one of their low points this gen, working togheter to get more players to play togheter is something we all should want.

Their saying "want to play with your friends who have PS4's? get a PS4".

Why throw away that edge if it makes them sell more PS4s? because MS says so? because its user friendly?

Pemalite said:

Who gives a crap if a company is winning or loosing right now.

Crossplay needs to happen. Nintendo allows it. PC allows it. Microsoft allows it. Mobile allows it.
Sony doesn't.

Cross play between PlayStation/Xbox didn't need to happen last gen, doesn't need to happen this gen. Either way Sony allows cross play and have a richer history in this aspect than microsoft. What Sony doesn't allow is interfacing with Xbox. This debate isn't "Sony won't allow cross play". This debate is "Sony won't allow Xbox". And it's hilarious that known Xbox fans are coming in here and trying to frame the issue differently. 

aLkaLiNE said:

Cross play between PlayStation/Xbox didn't need to happen last gen, doesn't need to happen this gen. Either way Sony allows cross play and have a richer history in this aspect than microsoft.

I disagree. It needed to happen as soon as consoles had multiplats that could go online. Aka. Xbox/Playstation 2/Dreamcast era.

aLkaLiNE said:

What Sony doesn't allow is interfacing with Xbox. This debate isn't "Sony won't allow cross play". This debate is "Sony won't allow Xbox". And it's hilarious that known Xbox fans are coming in here and trying to frame the issue differently.

Well. That's two faced isn't it? Because Sony allowed Steam to interface with it. - And Steam is larger than Playstation and Xbox combined, it's probably their largest competitor.
Fact is, it is Sony that is not allowing this to happen, no one else, tons of developers have come out and complained about it, gamers obviously keep demanding it, news sites keep reporting on it. - So clearly people want it.

I couldn't give a crap for the reasoning/politics. Cross-platform games needed to happen generations ago.

Also. I am not an "Xbox Fan". Don't frame me as such if that is your intention, I dislike all consoles equally.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

aLkaLiNE said:
Pemalite said:

Who gives a crap if a company is winning or loosing right now.

Crossplay needs to happen. Nintendo allows it. PC allows it. Microsoft allows it. Mobile allows it.
Sony doesn't.

Cross play between PlayStation/Xbox didn't need to happen last gen, doesn't need to happen this gen. Either way Sony allows cross play and have a richer history in this aspect than microsoft. What Sony doesn't allow is interfacing with Xbox. This debate isn't "Sony won't allow cross play". This debate is "Sony won't allow Xbox". And it's hilarious that known Xbox fans are coming in here and trying to frame the issue differently. 

(Correct me if i am wrong) Sony has never done this before to my knowledge, they are doing what they have always done and cross-play with PC. Xbox and Nintendo are doing what would be a first and that’s merging competitive consoles together with cross-play something Sony hasn’t done and doesn’t seem like they want to do. Aside from a couple 3rd party games taking Initiative and working around the networks.

If Sony don’t want to use Xbox's network than I honestly don’t see why MS still allow their game on their HW. Put the shoe on the other foot here. If Sony released TLOU2 on XB1 and told Xbox that you have to use PSN, would you see a problem with that? I wouldn’t, I would use their network if it’s their game I am trying to play.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Azzanation said:

If Sony don’t want to use Xbox's network than I honestly don’t see why MS still allow their game on their HW. 

I assume you're talking about Minecraft. If so, they wouldn't do that because MS isn't going to lose out on a huge chunk of the market for, what is ulitmately, their biggest game. That's Busines 101.

I thought about that aswell, However look at it from the other angle, if Minecraft isnt sold on PS4 than Xbox just gained a killer app which would lead to more hardware sales etc so its not exactly a lose situation if Minecraft wasnt sold on PS4 as you might think. 

Pemalite said:
aLkaLiNE said:

Cross play between PlayStation/Xbox didn't need to happen last gen, doesn't need to happen this gen. Either way Sony allows cross play and have a richer history in this aspect than microsoft.

I disagree. It needed to happen as soon as consoles had multiplats that could go online. Aka. Xbox/Playstation 2/Dreamcast era.

aLkaLiNE said:

What Sony doesn't allow is interfacing with Xbox. This debate isn't "Sony won't allow cross play". This debate is "Sony won't allow Xbox". And it's hilarious that known Xbox fans are coming in here and trying to frame the issue differently.

Well. That's two faced isn't it? Because Sony allowed Steam to interface with it. - And Steam is larger than Playstation and Xbox combined, it's probably their largest competitor.
Fact is, it is Sony that is not allowing this to happen, no one else, tons of developers have come out and complained about it, gamers obviously keep demanding it, news sites keep reporting on it. - So clearly people want it.

I couldn't give a crap for the reasoning/politics. Cross-platform games needed to happen generations ago.

Also. I am not an "Xbox Fan". Don't frame me as such if that is your intention, I dislike all consoles equally.

Actually PSN has more MAU than steam or Microsoft. And as of 2013, PSN had over 110 million users. That was 4 years ago. As of 2015, steam had 125 million users which was 2 years ago. PSN is roughly the size of steam on its own, definitely over if you throw xbl into the mix. And if it needed to happen then... How did we suffer? I'm curious what kind of fringe case scenarios we're talking here. I remember playing shadow run on my 360 that was cross play with PC and that game had trouble finding full matches a few months after launch. On the flip side, I can boot my PS3 up right now and go find a match of call of duty BO2. the quality of a game will go a lot farther in player retention than cross play play will, unless the game in question is on a dying platform. That's not something thatbplaystation users have to deal with though so how does it benefit us? The real draw I can see would be playing with my friends from the other side. It wouldn't be about trying to keep games active longer.it would be about playing with friends. So on that note, why doesn't Microsoft allow cross play between Windows store and steam?  You want to talk hypocrisy, it's right there.

It was not my intention to frame you as an Xbox fan. I was speaking generally based on feedback from here and GAF. With that being said, I believe you are partial to Microsoft based on your past comments but your platform of choice is PC. Is that wrong?

Not a big deal, I honestly don't care for cross play. We all grew up without cross play so a game that doesn't get cross play is just like any other day. If a game does get cross play, great, but not a big deal cause I'd still be playing online with a bunch of people regardless.

And If there's an online multiplat game that I really want to play I'll just buy it for whichever system/pc that has the most userbase. That's what I did with Overwatch and you dont see anybody complaining that there's no cross play for that. (if there was, then it must've been so insignificant like all these other complaints about cross play and these other games)

MS didn't want cross play last gen, didnt bother me and didnt stop me from gaming online. Sony doesn't want it this gen, still doesn't bother me and i'll still continue to game online.

Azzanation said:
CGI-Quality said:

I assume you're talking about Minecraft. If so, they wouldn't do that because MS isn't going to lose out on a huge chunk of the market for, what is ulitmately, their biggest game. That's Busines 101.

I thought about that aswell, However look at it from the other angle, if Minecraft isnt sold on PS4 than Xbox just gained a killer app which would lead to more hardware sales etc so its not exactly a lose situation if Minecraft wasnt sold on PS4 as you might think. 

Not really a killer app if that app can be had on smart phones, PC, tablets, toasters, my kitchen sink, a smart fridge etc.

It's hilarious that you want Microsoft to punish Sony for being "anti consumer" (no cross play with Xbox) by Microsoft themselves being anti consumer (you don't get this update unless you give in to our demands!). Speaks volumes about your character.

Liquid_faction said:
Microsoft just want's crossplay because their own playerbase can't support the game, why should Sony just give in? This isn't about Sony being dicks, this is about business tactics to get rid of your competitors.

Nah that's silly if you want to see games with almost no userbase play some PSVR games MP. Even then some PS4 games that i play could use cross play, DQ heroes II MP is basically dead. Only when you go online on saturday evening you find people play the game. It annoyed me especially for some of the trophies it is a must to play the MP.