By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Have you ever felt like you kinda contributed to ruining a game mode for everyone?

Tagged games:

How do you feel about it?

I not only contribute, I am the ringleader! 3 16.67%

I contribute somewhat 3 16.67%

I guess I contribute a bit 1 5.56%

Maybe. Maybe not. 1 5.56%

Nah. 4 22.22%

I hate it all and report ... 1 5.56%

The only thing I contribu... 5 27.78%

Total:18

I bought DOOM on PC sometime last year and I largely stopped playing due to the fact that I was playing the multiplayer on wireless, and it was very offputting. With the more recent buzz about the game, I decided to play it again and give it a whirl and started to play the campaign again. I remember it starting somewhat slow but still fun, but wow did the campaign open up after the beginning! Campaign was so great, I almost want to make a review over it. Later I decided to play the multiplayer again and it was a lot of fun for me.

If you played the game modes, there is one called Possesion. Extremely fun mode which is the same as virus tag (that's what me and my friends called it anyway). A friend a mine linked me this video at 2:17 and pretty much encapsulates how I feel about the mode (though it fits much better in Domination imo).

https://youtu.be/l6GbCPAtnLA?t=2m17s

Anyway if you played this game sitting still is and camping is never viable. But on this stage cataclysm, I was the last standing and ended up being trapped in a ledge with everyone coming at me from either side, giving me no chance to move. I had two shotguns so kept turning left and right,  gunning them down until time was up. I patted myself in the back for that. A couple of players saw this and started to cover both sides. It then went from a couple the entire party. I thought this would be a one and done thing. However, the next day and for the next to two days since, in the same mode and stage, its kept happening. Its become a chore to play there now because how cheap it is.

I feel like maybe I'm overvaluing my contribution in this, but it is what it is. It just made me curious:

Was there ever a time you felt you directly contributed to cheapness/toxicity in a game or mode?

Around the Network

I'm ruining RL generally for everyone. If I'm with a mate I'm wrecking all my opponents. If I'm alone, I'm wrecking all my mates.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

In the Pokemon Trading Card Game Online, you used to be able to talk to your opponent during the battles. Like the dumbass I am, I constantly trolled and did whatever I could to get on their nerves. It typically made it even funnier when they lost and called me a bunch of slurs.

They soon cracked down on it by adding censorship. No big deal, but soon it got worse. I wrote in ways to bypass it, and the reports on my account kept increasing.

Next thing you know, they announce they're removing all chat from random opponents in the Versus game mode. The game's a bit worse without it and the heavy censorship, but oh well.

mZuzek said:
monocle_layton said:
In the Pokemon Trading Card Game Online, you used to be able to talk to your opponent during the battles. Like the dumbass I am, I constantly trolled and did whatever I could to get on their nerves. It typically made it even funnier when they lost and called me a bunch of slurs.

They soon cracked down on it by adding censorship. No big deal, but soon it got worse. I wrote in ways to bypass it, and the reports on my account kept increasing.

Next thing you know, they announce they're removing all chat from random opponents in the Versus game mode. The game's a bit worse without it and the heavy censorship, but oh well.

Dude. Not cool.

In all honesty, it wasn't, but two wrongs don't make a right.

I'd typically talk with people, but I'd troll often because stalling was a pretty big issue. People would purposely use up the maximum time to make a move before I even say anything. It typically happens when they draw a dead hand or have a disadvantage.

To counter back, I thought trolling would be a good idea, and it was. Eventually it was getting easier to find the stallers so you can warn people who play against them. The issue isn't too bad nowadays, but I'll always have fun messing with people who purposely stall and ruin the game.

I think my actions are at least a bit explainable now. Justifiable? Idk, but I definitely never did it to people who did nothing wrong. Should've said that before

monocle_layton said:

Kudos. Getting on people's nerves in online games is one of the most hilarious experiences one can have.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
Xen said:

Kudos. Getting on people's nerves in online games is one of the most hilarious experiences one can have.

Keyword being "one". Having fun at the expense of others is a shitty thing to do, even though he gave decent reasoning for it afterwards.

As far as I am concerned, if they are as irritable as they are, and as willing to explode over your trolling as they are, it's fair game. People try to fuck with me as well, but I simply pay it no attention.

I've been playing Mario Kart since 1992 and I think I'm pretty good at it but, in Mario Kart 8 for Switch, I use the steering assist so I can't run off of the road even if I mess up. I hit curves at full speed at impossible angles and I barely even slow down. It's the only way I can get first in online play!

If you can ruin a game mode, it wasn't designed as well as it should've been.

Zkuq said:
If you can ruin a game mode, it wasn't designed as well as it should've been.

Not necessarily. There are some games where of course the development team could have done a better job of stop trolling and the like, but there is only so much you can blame on a developer. Sometimes, its the gamer that is to blame.

I use to use mods in cod mw2.), mw3 and BO2. I used mods for a few days on the PC version of the division.