By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo has crossed the line that even EA, Capcom, and Activision hasn't!

Jumpin said:
archer9234 said:

Including Black Jack and Roullete?

I'm just going to politely point out that you're off topic and completely missing the point.

The point being that it's a stretch of logic to call figurines a toy, and if you're going to do that, you may as well consider videogames a toy; given the initial poster was talking about videogames and figurines. Board games have nothing to do with anything.

All or none. Don't cherry pick. I don't consider board games and video games toys. The only thing that these items share, is them being played with. I consider them entertainment, as movies are. Because they can range for many demographics. Toys in their core use, is for primarily kids. Lego is a toy, action figures/dolls are toys. NES ROB, light guns, and Amiibo are game addons/accessories. They have set rules and structure. Board games mainly require multiple people. A toy allows anything. You can use a Batman figure to be the villian in a Harry Potter castle set. I can't use Monoply money with Boggle. I can't take out Nathan Drake and put him in Pokemon. Than pretend he's Bastoise.

Around the Network
archer9234 said:
Jumpin said:

I'm just going to politely point out that you're off topic and completely missing the point.

The point being that it's a stretch of logic to call figurines a toy, and if you're going to do that, you may as well consider videogames a toy; given the initial poster was talking about videogames and figurines. Board games have nothing to do with anything.

All or none. Don't cherry pick. I don't consider board games and video games toys. The only thing that these items share, is them being played with. I consider them entertainment, as movies are. Because they can range for many demographics. Toys in their core use, is for primarily kids. Lego is a toy, action figures/dolls are toys. NES ROB, light guns, and Amiibo are game addons/accessories. They have set rules and structure. Board games mainly require multiple people. A toy allows anything. You can use a Batman figure to be the villian in a Harry Potter castle set. I can't use Monoply money with Boggle. I can't take out Nathan Drake and put him in Pokemon. Than pretend he's Bastoise.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Aeolus451 said:
BraLoD said:
I'm going to say it again: Amiibo is the worst thing to happen this gen.
Making DLC, which can already be a bad thing, physical and limited, which both make it harder and more expensive to get, is ridiculous.

What's truly ridiculous is that there's still alot of people who think that Nintendo doesn't use scarcity marketing even though amiibo are a thing and they mysteriously have "shortages" all the time.

They do that because they don't want to get stuck with a bunch of figurines no one wants.  That happened to one of the other "Toys-to-Life" products that is now discontinued, but I can't remember which one.  They only want to make what they know they can sell.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

theRepublic said:
Aeolus451 said:

What's truly ridiculous is that there's still alot of people who think that Nintendo doesn't use scarcity marketing even though amiibo are a thing and they mysteriously have "shortages" all the time.

They do that because they don't want to get stuck with a bunch of figurines no one wants.  That happened to one of the other "Toys-to-Life" products that is now discontinued, but I can't remember which one.  They only want to make what they know they can sell.

That might make sense now but what all of those years?

I really haven't cared very much for most things you unlock with amiibo. The games are still complete, and as long as that is good , i don't care.

Around the Network
lasershow said:
I really haven't cared very much for most things you unlock with amiibo. The games are still complete, and as long as that is good , i don't care.

The problem is: The games are complete to you. Not for others. People out there do count the sound test mode as apart of the game. And won't have 100% without it.

Aeolus451 said:
theRepublic said:

That might make sense now but what all of those years?

It is a physical product, so they had to balance that for each individual figurine that was released.  It sucks, I know.  But that is why they do it.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

This seems to put way too much emphasis on Nintendo just always being the good guys. Back in the late 80's/ early 90's, they were far worse than Activision or EA or Capcom could ever even attempt to be. Yeah they put out some great games in those days, but the shady shit they did to third party devs, and how they kept competition off the market so they could never have to do price drops... They were just sickening. There's a reason why PlayStation dominated the console industry and why third parties still, for the most part, avoid Nintendo. A damn good reason at that. No article about Nintendo being greedy or corrupt will EVER surprise me.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon