By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Just how much is PS4 beating Xbox One in sales this year?

Phronesis said:
To be fair, Xbox is making a lot of innovations ir order to counter PlayStation: Xbox Gamepass, backward compatibility, changes in OS, etc.

Despite the increase in profits with Live, the console revenue of Xbox has declined 29%. Which means that... It's not working. As for me, I choose Gravity Rush 2 over backward compatibility anyday. It's a great function, but I want new things.

Subscription services, backwards compatibility and changing your OS to look like the PS4 with tacky ads on the Xmb are not innovations no matter how much you wanna stretch it.

Around the Network
Rafie said:
Azzanation said:

PS4 is more powerful than than the X1 and for the first 2 years the PS4 did not have a library advantage. Price and marketing is what sells consoles. You could have the worst line up in games and a console can still sell well depending on the marketing. 

Also PS1 and PS2 sold extremely well due to the fact they could play pirated games which obviously helped alot compared to the more expensive software selling N64. Free games is a very attractive thing for just about everybody.

I think you're slightly downplaying the TRUE succes of PS1 and PS2 by saying that they sold well due to being able to play pirated games. It couldn't be the fact that they had compelling software or was the cheapest DVD player on the market, right?! At the bolded, PS4 didn't have a library advantage over Xbox One, but neither did the Xbox One have that advantage over the PS4. They were pretty much neck in neck.

I will admit you do have a point about marketing and even the advantages over N64.

No they weren't PS4 had a bigger and better library from day 1. Just a quick look on metacritic is enough to prove that.

2013:

PS4- 27 games, 14 with a good rating

XB1- 19 games, 8 with a good rating

2014:

PS4- 136 games, 67 with a good rating

XB1- 85 games, 41with a good rating

2015:

PS4- 237 games, 104 with a good rating

XB1- 158 games, 67 with a good rating

The whole PS4 had no games in beginning is just another False narrative like the Sony announces games too early  one which MS fans try to push these days.Both a outright lies that crumble under the weight of the very word fact.

Errorist76 said:

Since Sony has stated they beat X1 2:1 in the U.S. since beginning of 2017, I'd assume global sales are at least 3:1, probably even worse now for 2017. Weekly numbers on VGChartz seemed to reflect that..it's just a bit strange it doesn't really show up in the overall numbers...the overall ratio must long have passed 2:1 by now. 

Xbox One is overtracked here, not by much, but like 1-2m.

While the PS4 is undertracked (they shipped over 63.3m by June 30th) (by now in aug its probably over 65m).

I think the guys that run the numbers dont want the front page showing PS4 more than doubleing the XB1.

Sell through for PS4 is probably around 63m, while the XB1's is around 29m.

Azzanation said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Powerful systems are always last place in sales. Just look at PS1 vs N64, Xbox vs PS2, Wii vs PS3/360. Consoles make sales based on their libraries, and the PS4 has a library that blows Xbox out of the water. 

PS4 is more powerful than than the X1 and for the first 2 years the PS4 did not have a library advantage. Price and marketing is what sells consoles. You could have the worst line up in games and a console can still sell well depending on the marketing. 

Also PS1 and PS2 sold extremely well due to the fact they could play pirated games which obviously helped alot compared to the more expensive software selling N64. Free games is a very attractive thing for just about everybody.

This is always a tricky topic.... being that everyone has their own idea of what kinda game appeals to them or not. But if we were simply to go of number of games that scored about 70 on meta critic? Well, in that case I am sorry to inform you that PS4 had a library advantage. Yh I know its shocking, being taht a lot of people said it didn't have any games.

And as to what you say sells consoles? I think you are trying to downplay things here. I personally think that games sells consoles. Price and marketing are good no doubt, but games sells consoles above everything else. 

And lastly, do you know how silly it is coming to a sales website, clicking onto a sales thread only to say people looking for sales numbers care too much? So why are you a member of such a website? Wait, you are here just to laugh at the people that care about sales numbers?............ which do you think is worse?

Intrinsic said:
Azzanation said:

This is always a tricky topic.... being that everyone has their own idea of what kinda game appeals to them or not. But if we were simply to go of number of games that scored about 70 on meta critic? Well, in that case I am sorry to inform you that PS4 had a library advantage. Yh I know its shocking, being taht a lot of people said it didn't have any games.

And as to what you say sells consoles? I think you are trying to downplay things here. I personally think that games sells consoles. Price and marketing are good no doubt, but games sells consoles above everything else. 

And lastly, do you know how silly it is coming to a sales website, clicking onto a sales thread only to say people looking for sales numbers care too much? So why are you a member of such a website? Wait, you are here just to laugh at the people that care about sales numbers?............ which do you think is worse?

Hmm i am a member to this site to discuss gaming and its news. I couldn't care about sales. Just for your fyi.

CGI-Quality said:
Azzanation said:
I am glad MS hide there actual figures. I just love seeing those who try to care so much for it. Haha the entertainment is real

Considering this is a sales website, it is appropriate for people to want to discuss it.

Its alright to discuss it. Its more about those who like to call out numbers to justify there purchases. Thats what i find funny so i am glad MS hide there numbers just to shut them up.

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
Intrinsic said:

Hmm i am a member to this site to discuss gaming and its news. I couldn't care about sales. Just for your fyi.

CGI-Quality said:

Considering this is a sales website, it is appropriate for people to want to discuss it.

Its alright to discuss it. Its more about those who like to call out numbers to justify there purchases. Thats what i find funny so i am glad MS hide there numbers just to shut them up.

There are a ton of other sites you could be on to discuss gaming and it's news. This is a site that's first and foremost about sales figures of consoles and games. GTFO with that BS, It's obvious you care about sale and you care A LOT, but understandably MS fans have been trying to pretend they don't care but can't really help entering topics such as these just to tell everyone how much they don't care and hence expose how it's hurting their feelings.lol

Azzanation said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Powerful systems are always last place in sales. Just look at PS1 vs N64, Xbox vs PS2, Wii vs PS3/360. Consoles make sales based on their libraries, and the PS4 has a library that blows Xbox out of the water. 

Price might have been a factor for some but most knew if they'd support they'd be having a constant flow of great and varied games, just like it is happening. Sony has a reputation for a reason and they've never disappointed yet, different to the other team.

NawaiNey said:
Azzanation said:

There are a ton of other sites you could be on to discuss gaming and it's news. This is a site that's first and foremost about sales figures of consoles and games. GTFO with that BS, It's obvious you care about sale and you care A LOT, but understandably MS fans have been trying to pretend they don't care but can't really help entering topics such as these just to tell everyone how much they don't care and hence expose how it's hurting their feelings.lol

It's obvious he would care about sales if the forces would be switched.

Phronesis said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Yeah price is another factor. But the XB1X is more expensive *and* has a vastly inferior library. 

I don't think I've ever heard of anybody buying a PS1, or PS2 because they could pirate games. Can they? How? 

Poor countries such as Brazil never seen an original PS1/PS2 disc, despite being extremely popular over here

Im confident the Vita would've been a hit would it have allowed SD cards and pirating games like the PSP.

Azzanation said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Cheaper price, more power, more games. PS4 was a better value proposition from day 1. The Xbone didn't even launch in most of Europe until a year later, that's how much they cared about the non-English speaking world. I also disagree about the libraries, in the 1st 2 years it wasn't such a gap it is now, but PS4 was getting tons of games the Xbone wasn't, like FFXIV, War Thunder, Warframe, The Talos Principle, The Witness, Disgaea 5 and other niche Nipponese stuff etc. Add those up and they become a big factor in my purchasing decision. The perception was that greatness is coming (and has arrived) because of all the 1st parties they have and 3rd parties around them.

Sony had like 3 press conferences each year where new shit was getting announced every year. While on Xbone the announcements dried up after prematurely announcing literally their entire line up for the whole generation at E3 2014, and having most of it cancelled in the coming years, fast forward 3 years later their exclusive output has come to a standstill.

All these things combined: games and Sony's efforts in emerging markets, not just the West, has made PS the brand it is.

"Also PS1 and PS2 sold extremely well due to the fact they could play pirated games which obviously helped"

Even with piracy both consoles had billions of official games sold. Another reason is perhaps they had much bigger and better libraries than the competition.

Errorist76 said:
NawaiNey said:

It's obvious he would care about sales if the forces would be switched.

Phronesis said:

Poor countries such as Brazil never seen an original PS1/PS2 disc, despite being extremely popular over here

Im confident the Vita would've been a hit would it have allowed SD cards and pirating games like the PSP.

Nope i honestly dont care for sales never did. Even when the 360 was out i couldnt care less. Check my Live account, see that i rarely touch my Xbox haha.

Turkish said:
Azzanation said:

Cheaper price, more power, more games. PS4 was a better value proposition from day 1. The Xbone didn't even launch in most of Europe until a year later, that's how much they cared about the non-English speaking world. I also disagree about the libraries, in the 1st 2 years it wasn't such a gap it is now, but PS4 was getting tons of games the Xbone wasn't, like FFXIV, War Thunder, Warframe, The Talos Principle, The Witness, Disgaea 5 and other niche Nipponese stuff etc. Add those up and they become a big factor in my purchasing decision. The perception was that greatness is coming (and has arrived) because of all the 1st parties they have and 3rd parties around them.

Sony had like 3 press conferences each year where new shit was getting announced every year. While on Xbone the announcements dried up after prematurely announcing literally their entire line up for the whole generation at E3 2014, and having most of it cancelled in the coming years, fast forward 3 years later their exclusive output has come to a standstill.

All these things combined: games and Sony's efforts in emerging markets, not just the West, has made PS the brand it is.

"Also PS1 and PS2 sold extremely well due to the fact they could play pirated games which obviously helped"

Even with piracy both consoles had billions of official games sold. Another reason is perhaps they had much bigger and better libraries than the competition.

You act as if the X1 had no games of there own. Dead Rising 3, Titanfall, Plants vs Zombies, Sunset Overdrive and Tomb Raider just to name afew which were all well recieved. PS4 did have a bigger Indie game scene than the X1. Which looks to have changed now.

Sales are kind of pointless when one system is sold world wide in more countries while the other doesnt or was late to the scene. Talk about handicapping the charts. 

You anwsered your own question here if PS4 was sold in  more countries. That would mean that the PS4 has a much better chance of selling more haha. Its logical.