By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Just how much is PS4 beating Xbox One in sales this year?

I would say about 27.5 to 61.5 so its winning by about 34 million total and by about 5.5 in 2017.

Around the Network

I am glad MS hide there actual figures. I just love seeing those who try to care so much for it. Haha the entertainment is real

Azzanation said:
I am glad MS hide there actual figures. I just love seeing those who try to care so much for it. Haha the entertainment is real

This isn't an issue in countries like Japan.  They simply report on what consumers are doing.  Thats fine. There are tons of consumer sectors here that we know about exactly.  There is nothing special about video games that require the information to be hidden.  It should be public info like nearly everything else.  I don't like that Sony or Microsoft hide figures here because its just consumer data.  Too many feelings involved. 

Cerebralbore101 said:
Pinkie_pie said:
Justt wait til xbox x arrives. It will outsell ps4 worldwide until ps5 releases

Powerful systems are always last place in sales. Just look at PS1 vs N64, Xbox vs PS2, Wii vs PS3/360. Consoles make sales based on their libraries, and the PS4 has a library that blows Xbox out of the water. 

PS4 is more powerful than than the X1 and for the first 2 years the PS4 did not have a library advantage. Price and marketing is what sells consoles. You could have the worst line up in games and a console can still sell well depending on the marketing. 

Also PS1 and PS2 sold extremely well due to the fact they could play pirated games which obviously helped alot compared to the more expensive software selling N64. Free games is a very attractive thing for just about everybody.

Another interesting piece of information with the completely accessible japanese numbers.

PS4- 1.047.994
XB1- 5.239

Based on data we have it is not surprising how badly XB1 is doing compared to PS4.

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Powerful systems are always last place in sales. Just look at PS1 vs N64, Xbox vs PS2, Wii vs PS3/360. Consoles make sales based on their libraries, and the PS4 has a library that blows Xbox out of the water. 

PS4 is more powerful than than the X1 and for the first 2 years the PS4 did not have a library advantage. Price and marketing is what sells consoles. You could have the worst line up in games and a console can still sell well depending on the marketing. 

Also PS1 and PS2 sold extremely well due to the fact they could play pirated games which obviously helped alot compared to the more expensive software selling N64. Free games is a very attractive thing for just about everybody.

Price is most important because even if a car is the 'best' and you want it, it doesn't matter (unless you find a way to steal one.)

Second is brand.  If you have the perception that a brand is good, you will get it over a product priced at the same price.  This comes from marketing, word of mouth, reliability, and people you may know.

Third is games because if you invest in something and you don't have anything to do with the purchase, it is a waste.  

Fourth is power and other things like entertainment services and subscriptions..

Azzanation said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Yeah price is another factor. But the XB1X is more expensive *and* has a vastly inferior library. 

I don't think I've ever heard of anybody buying a PS1, or PS2 because they could pirate games. Can they? How? 

To be fair, Xbox is making a lot of innovations ir order to counter PlayStation: Xbox Gamepass, backward compatibility, changes in OS, etc.

Despite the increase in profits with Live, the console revenue of Xbox has declined 29%. Which means that... It's not working. As for me, I choose Gravity Rush 2 over backward compatibility anyday. It's a great function, but I want new things.

3DS, Wii, PSP, Vita, PS2, PS3, PS4 & Steam.

Cerebralbore101 said:
Azzanation said:

Yeah price is another factor. But the XB1X is more expensive *and* has a vastly inferior library. 

I don't think I've ever heard of anybody buying a PS1, or PS2 because they could pirate games. Can they? How? 

Poor countries such as Brazil never seen an original PS1/PS2 disc, despite being extremely popular over here.

3DS, Wii, PSP, Vita, PS2, PS3, PS4 & Steam.

Azzanation said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

I think you're slightly downplaying the TRUE succes of PS1 and PS2 by saying that they sold well due to being able to play pirated games. It couldn't be the fact that they had compelling software or was the cheapest DVD player on the market, right?! At the bolded, PS4 didn't have a library advantage over Xbox One, but neither did the Xbox One have that advantage over the PS4. They were pretty much neck in neck.

I will admit you do have a point about marketing and even the advantages over N64.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron