By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Just how much is PS4 beating Xbox One in sales this year?

Azzanation said:
Errorist76 said:

It's obvious he would care about sales if the forces would be switched.

Im confident the Vita would've been a hit would it have allowed SD cards and pirating games like the PSP.

Nope i honestly dont care for sales never did. Even when the 360 was out i couldnt care less. Check my Live account, see that i rarely touch my Xbox haha.

Turkish said:

Cheaper price, more power, more games. PS4 was a better value proposition from day 1. The Xbone didn't even launch in most of Europe until a year later, that's how much they cared about the non-English speaking world. I also disagree about the libraries, in the 1st 2 years it wasn't such a gap it is now, but PS4 was getting tons of games the Xbone wasn't, like FFXIV, War Thunder, Warframe, The Talos Principle, The Witness, Disgaea 5 and other niche Nipponese stuff etc. Add those up and they become a big factor in my purchasing decision. The perception was that greatness is coming (and has arrived) because of all the 1st parties they have and 3rd parties around them.

Sony had like 3 press conferences each year where new shit was getting announced every year. While on Xbone the announcements dried up after prematurely announcing literally their entire line up for the whole generation at E3 2014, and having most of it cancelled in the coming years, fast forward 3 years later their exclusive output has come to a standstill.

All these things combined: games and Sony's efforts in emerging markets, not just the West, has made PS the brand it is.

"Also PS1 and PS2 sold extremely well due to the fact they could play pirated games which obviously helped"

Even with piracy both consoles had billions of official games sold. Another reason is perhaps they had much bigger and better libraries than the competition.

You act as if the X1 had no games of there own. Dead Rising 3, Titanfall, Plants vs Zombies, Sunset Overdrive and Tomb Raider just to name afew which were all well recieved. PS4 did have a bigger Indie game scene than the X1. Which looks to have changed now.

Sales are kind of pointless when one system is sold world wide in more countries while the other doesnt or was late to the scene. Talk about handicapping the charts. 

You anwsered your own question here if PS4 was sold in  more countries. That would mean that the PS4 has a much better chance of selling more haha. Its logical.

Sales are kind of pointless? I'm not sure what your point is. PS4's lead is pointless because "hurr it sold in more countries"? PS4 destroyed Xbone too in countries it was selling in, starting from Merica lol. Last gen, PS3 came out ~1.5 years later in Europe than the 360, yet it still managed to outsell it. The Xbox brand will never have a comeback like that anywhere.

And the indie scene hasn't changed much, games in the past few weeks like Pyre, Sundered, hell even big titles like Hellblade and Lawbreakers skip Xbone. If you mean their E3 showing, yeah it's sad they resort to moneyhatting indie games to make them timed exclusives, because they cant do that with AAA games anymore.

Around the Network

X1 will probably end up selling no more than 55M at end of life, maybe not crossing 45M.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I think the presumption that the XB1 is still selling 3 - 1 in Europe is a wrong one. I`d be surprised if Switch + ps4 were any less than a combined 8 - 1 or more over the XB1 at the moment.

Cerebralbore101 said:
Pinkie_pie said:
Justt wait til xbox x arrives. It will outsell ps4 worldwide until ps5 releases

Powerful systems are always last place in sales. Just look at PS1 vs N64, Xbox vs PS2, Wii vs PS3/360. Consoles make sales based on their libraries, and the PS4 has a library that blows Xbox out of the water. 

Ps4 is stronger than X1 and outsells it. PS3 was more powerfull than X360 and outsold it.

Phronesis said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Yeah price is another factor. But the XB1X is more expensive *and* has a vastly inferior library. 

I don't think I've ever heard of anybody buying a PS1, or PS2 because they could pirate games. Can they? How? 

Poor countries such as Brazil never seen an original PS1/PS2 disc, despite being extremely popular over here.

PS1 and PS2 were never officialy announced so that is the reason. When PS3 got officially released we started seeing PS2 games on stores like Americanas.

Rafie said:
Azzanation said:

PS4 is more powerful than than the X1 and for the first 2 years the PS4 did not have a library advantage. Price and marketing is what sells consoles. You could have the worst line up in games and a console can still sell well depending on the marketing. 

Also PS1 and PS2 sold extremely well due to the fact they could play pirated games which obviously helped alot compared to the more expensive software selling N64. Free games is a very attractive thing for just about everybody.

I think you're slightly downplaying the TRUE succes of PS1 and PS2 by saying that they sold well due to being able to play pirated games. It couldn't be the fact that they had compelling software or was the cheapest DVD player on the market, right?! At the bolded, PS4 didn't have a library advantage over Xbox One, but neither did the Xbox One have that advantage over the PS4. They were pretty much neck in neck.

I will admit you do have a point about marketing and even the advantages over N64.

The cheapest DVD was already proven to be a myth, and considering it sold 1.5B SW it can also be seen that games were the main reason.

Azzanation said:
Intrinsic said:

This is always a tricky topic.... being that everyone has their own idea of what kinda game appeals to them or not. But if we were simply to go of number of games that scored about 70 on meta critic? Well, in that case I am sorry to inform you that PS4 had a library advantage. Yh I know its shocking, being taht a lot of people said it didn't have any games.

And as to what you say sells consoles? I think you are trying to downplay things here. I personally think that games sells consoles. Price and marketing are good no doubt, but games sells consoles above everything else. 

And lastly, do you know how silly it is coming to a sales website, clicking onto a sales thread only to say people looking for sales numbers care too much? So why are you a member of such a website? Wait, you are here just to laugh at the people that care about sales numbers?............ which do you think is worse?

Hmm i am a member to this site to discuss gaming and its news. I couldn't care about sales. Just for your fyi.

CGI-Quality said:

Considering this is a sales website, it is appropriate for people to want to discuss it.

Its alright to discuss it. Its more about those who like to call out numbers to justify there purchases. Thats what i find funny so i am glad MS hide there numbers just to shut them up.

Yes I'm sure you never cared about numbers from 2008 to 2011.

Azzanation said:
Errorist76 said:

It's obvious he would care about sales if the forces would be switched.

Im confident the Vita would've been a hit would it have allowed SD cards and pirating games like the PSP.

Nope i honestly dont care for sales never did. Even when the 360 was out i couldnt care less. Check my Live account, see that i rarely touch my Xbox haha.

Turkish said:

Cheaper price, more power, more games. PS4 was a better value proposition from day 1. The Xbone didn't even launch in most of Europe until a year later, that's how much they cared about the non-English speaking world. I also disagree about the libraries, in the 1st 2 years it wasn't such a gap it is now, but PS4 was getting tons of games the Xbone wasn't, like FFXIV, War Thunder, Warframe, The Talos Principle, The Witness, Disgaea 5 and other niche Nipponese stuff etc. Add those up and they become a big factor in my purchasing decision. The perception was that greatness is coming (and has arrived) because of all the 1st parties they have and 3rd parties around them.

Sony had like 3 press conferences each year where new shit was getting announced every year. While on Xbone the announcements dried up after prematurely announcing literally their entire line up for the whole generation at E3 2014, and having most of it cancelled in the coming years, fast forward 3 years later their exclusive output has come to a standstill.

All these things combined: games and Sony's efforts in emerging markets, not just the West, has made PS the brand it is.

"Also PS1 and PS2 sold extremely well due to the fact they could play pirated games which obviously helped"

Even with piracy both consoles had billions of official games sold. Another reason is perhaps they had much bigger and better libraries than the competition.

You act as if the X1 had no games of there own. Dead Rising 3, Titanfall, Plants vs Zombies, Sunset Overdrive and Tomb Raider just to name afew which were all well recieved. PS4 did have a bigger Indie game scene than the X1. Which looks to have changed now.

Sales are kind of pointless when one system is sold world wide in more countries while the other doesnt or was late to the scene. Talk about handicapping the charts. 

You anwsered your own question here if PS4 was sold in  more countries. That would mean that the PS4 has a much better chance of selling more haha. Its logical.

Nope no one is acting as Xbox didn't had it's games. You were saying PS4 didn't had, and was proved wrong by PS4 having more games even at release of gen.

Also When PS4 outsell X1 in EACH AND ANY country and most of them 2:1 or more, your argument that PS4 only outsell X1 due to releasing to more countries is ludicrous...and even if that was the case, fault MS for releasing in less country.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Azzanation said:

DR3 is on PC, Titanfall is on PC, plants vs Zombies on PS4 and PC, Tomb Raider on PS4 and PC. The Xbox has like two games on its own - sunset overdrive and halo 5. That's after 4 years on the market. 

Around the Network
Turkish said:
Azzanation said:

Sales are kind of pointless? I'm not sure what your point is. PS4's lead is pointless because "hurr it sold in more countries"? PS4 destroyed Xbone too in countries it was selling in, starting from Merica lol. Last gen, PS3 came out ~1.5 years later in Europe than the 360, yet it still managed to outsell it. The Xbox brand will never have a comeback like that anywhere.

And the indie scene hasn't changed much, games in the past few weeks like Pyre, Sundered, hell even big titles like Hellblade and Lawbreakers skip Xbone. If you mean their E3 showing, yeah it's sad they resort to moneyhatting indie games to make them timed exclusives, because they cant do that with AAA games anymore.

Relax mate, there just plastic boxes that play games. One destroying the other in sales? Thats abit extreme to say for silly gaming dont you think. You are talking about multi billion dollar companies. I am sure they are crying. Phil looks so sad that the Xbox isnt outselling the PS4... i mean i thought the main idea for buisness was to make money however there seems to be a fantasy deathmatch going on behind closed doors that only the fans see.. i dont see it.

aLkaLiNE said:
Azzanation said:

DR3 is on PC, Titanfall is on PC, plants vs Zombies on PS4 and PC, Tomb Raider on PS4 and PC. The Xbox has like two games on its own - sunset overdrive and halo 5. That's after 4 years on the market. 

So was Nier, The Witness and majority of the PS4 games the other poster mentioned are all on PC and Xbox. Probably should read what i am replying too ;)

Azzanation said:
Turkish said:

Relax mate, there just plastic boxes that play games. One destroying the other in sales? Thats abit extreme to say for silly gaming dont you think. You are talking about multi billion dollar companies. I am sure they are crying. Phil looks so sad that the Xbox isnt outselling the PS4... i mean i thought the main idea for buisness was to make money however there seems to be a fantasy deathmatch going on behind closed doors that only the fans see.. i dont see it.

aLkaLiNE said:

So was Nier, The Witness and majority of the PS4 games the other poster mentioned are all on PC and Xbox. Probably should read what i am replying too ;)

Yes, MS is so pleased with the numbers specifically coming from X1 that they shout to everyone to hear.

You are the one that brought the PS4 has no games, so you should withstand your point.

CGI-Quality said:
Azzanation said:

Its alright to discuss it. Its more about those who like to call out numbers to justify there purchases. Thats what i find funny so i am glad MS hide there numbers just to shut them up.

I just don't see where you poking at it makes what you're doing any better than the people you're scolding.

I am not scolding. I am just saying i think its rather funny especially when one company isnt giving any official numbers. Sure its a sales site. By all means go for it. I would rather make the judgment on actual official figures than estimates.

Thats just me though. However i love seeing people say 1 is destroying the other 8 to 1 because of estimates.

Any way. Its Friday night. Its time to enjoy the night out. Hope your night goes well CGI.

Azzanation said:
CGI-Quality said:

I just don't see where you poking at it makes what you're doing any better than the people you're scolding.

I am not scolding. I am just saying i think its rather funny especially when one company isnt giving any official numbers. Sure its a sales site. By all means go for it. I would rather make the judgment on actual official figures than estimates.

Thats just me though. However i love seeing people say 1 is destroying the other 8 to 1 because of estimates.

Any way. Its Friday night. Its time to enjoy the night out. Hope your night goes well CGI.

You are so funny... I guess NPD, Media Create and GFK are very bad estimatives right? And we should be discussing MAUs because that is the only number MS is releasing since their console started to tank?

What about their "X1 is tracking over X360" claims that stopped suddenly? You seem to think it isn't because the sales dropped bellow X360.

DonFerrari said:
Azzanation said:

Yes, MS is so pleased with the numbers specifically coming from X1 that they shout to everyone to hear.

You are the one that brought the PS4 has no games, so you should withstand your point.

No mate. I never said no games. I said PS4 didnt have a library advantage at launch

Both systems launched with basically neck and neck games. You should probably read my posts, it might help your with your debate.

If you can quote me in this thread saying PS4 has no games than ill happily admit to it. Ill be waiting.