By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Should athletes in any sport be permanently banned for doping?

Tagged games:

fatslob-:O said:

No since the lines between 'doping' and 'genetic enhancements' are going to blur in the future ...

Should just hold two different competitions, one for the pure and the other for cheaters ...

A genetic enhancement is hard to pin point, would we in the future do designer babies who are just good a throwing the Javelin? Being tall is already a genetic trait that is advantagous for althetes in the NBA. What is genetic enhancement as well? Because Messi was given hormones to help his growth else he wouldn't be 5'7", he'd be shorter due to GHD that he has.

Funnily enough, the medication for treating GHD is banned but Messi would have stopped taking it once he reached an 'average' height and started playing professionally. 

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network

I don't see how having separate divisions would help.
The non-doping division would still be full of doped athletes. To be more exact, it would consist of those who wouldn't stand a chance in the doping divison, but would be slightly better than the best non-doped athletes.

The Fury said:
SegataSanshiro said:
As far as I am concerned no one has hit more than 61 home runs in a single season in the MLB. No one.

That is a reference I had to look up. Guessing the 3 people above Roger Maris are all on the naughty side of things? Even with evidence, did they keep their scores?

The records are still there, though they are considered tainted.  No one gives a rat's ass about Barry Bonds breaking Hank Aaron's record for most home runs ever, for example.

Of course, baseball is an interesting example, as many stars of the past are also known to have cheated, though without nearly the same level of sophistication.  Drug use in the sport has been traced back to the 1950s with amphetamines and steroids have been reported as common in the 1970s.

If they started throwing out the records of drug users it would get really, really interesting.

Still, with people like Bonds, it's almost impossible to argue that never before has anyone ever benefited so much from performance enhancing drugs, even if they were widely used before.

"Through age 33, Bonds hit 15% fewer home runs than contemporary Ken Griffey Jr. at the same age (481-411). But from age 34 on, Bonds not only out-homered the oft-injured Griffey by more than double, 351-149, he also out-homered every other man who ever played Major League Baseball by the freakish margin of 28%. Aaron (274) is a distant second to Bonds in home runs at such an advanced age."   Link

That's just insane.

Problem you have here is if the substance wasn't taken knowingly and such as many products can contain banned substances. The's also the factor of the sport itself for example Boxing and MMA are notorious for substance use but in many cases they're used when the fighter is not actively preparing for a match which technically is not against the rules.

I think anyone should be banned from sports for doping regardless of their region or lack thereof

(Formerly RCTjunkie)

Around the Network

There are a lot of sports where the best players don't take any performance enhancing drugs. Personally, I say it should all just be legal, if you want to screw up your body then go for it. Finding new ways to punish people for cheating is expensive anyways.

Something...Something...Games...Something

I think doping should be allowed. I want to see the best possible, free of restrictions. If doping is bad for health, is not my health that will get worse, is theirs, all for my pleasure watching they compete like animals in a zoo.

Genetic engineering is interesting, I think we are at the very tip of the beginning of the genetic revolution with things like CRISPR tech. But such technology could also render professional sports kinda moot.

Barozi said:
VAMatt said:
Athletes should be allowed to take any substances they want. That's really the only solution to this problem. It is their job to try and get an advantage over their competitors. So, they're going to always be pushing the bounds of when and what substances are allowed to take. Just let them all take whatever they want, and then it will all be fair competition.

Then why stop at doping? Surely it would be much more efficient to use e-bikes for the Tour de France, platform shoes for high jumping and brass knuckels for boxing.

I wouldn't want to watch that.  But, if that's what other people want, that's fine with me. 

When there is a big pay day involved, people are going to take short cuts in order to win. Sports and business fields are rife with cheats, cutting corners in order to win and become rich in a Capitalist world. In a Capitalist world the people with the most money win!