By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - My dog killed a neighbors cat! Not sure what to do

Sorry for your situation OP. It's terrible all around but there should be consequences as the other person has lost a pet.

You bring up a good point though, and a solid case of speciesism. If this/a cat kills someone else' pet such as a bird, should it be called to put it down?

Someone mentioned that roaming cats don't do any harm. Far from the truth. I know people that have lost pet birds and rabbits due to neighbors allowing their cats to roam free. But because they were birds and rabbits, they were told to let it go.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
Johnw1104 said:

No self-respecting cat should allow itself to get caught by a dog in the first place.

That's quite horrible, though... Depending on how violent the scene looked your dog, being quite large, may have just killed it on accident when attempting to play. My dog (an Irish Wolfhound) once killed a mid-sized rat completely on accident, when we went in the backyard and saw the scene she was still trying to dance around and get it to play (this despite Irish Wolfhounds being about the most gentle and docile breed in the world).

This sounds a little more intentional though. I certainly don't blame the dog in the same way that I wouldn't blame the cat for killing a mouse, but it'll be very difficult to make amends with that neighbor, especially if he really loved the cat. You'll certainly want to look into the local laws regarding this sort of thing (most areas have gotten very strict about dogs being leashed) and I wish you luck.

There is one thing that's always bugged me a little though, and that's the sense many cat owners have that it's perfectly fine for them to let their cats roam around the neighborhood. Just as you should not have let your dog get out (and should be glad it didn't even accidentally injure a kid or you'd be facing some serious issues), cats shouldn't be out and about either. Everywhere I've lived there's always been cats roaming around, sleeping on (and scratching) my car, even jumping in through my window... cat owners can be remarkably entitled in the way they expect you to practically adopt their pets, and should something happen to said cats they really have no one else to blame.

The dog seeked out the cat though, not the other way around (it seems that way), because of where it died.

Also what harm can a roaming cat do? its not like they attack people, or kill other pets.

A dog is generally smarter, much more dangerous (to people and o ther pets) and can be trained to behave properly.

Thats why a dog needs to be treated differntly than a cat. Why one can safely be allowed to roam, and not the other.

I'd argue that. If the cat was run over by a car. It's the person letting the cat roam around the fault. Not the driver. I've seen too many cats just aimlisy going in and out of houses or windows. There was a cat across the wall from me that slept on air conditioners and would enter peoples yards randomly. It was killed by poision. No one knew who did it. Or if it was on purpose. Because People here put poision to kill off squirels that keep coming over here. Due to some fuckwad feeding them. But it wouldn't of happened if owners didn't let cats nilly willy walk out.

No, I'm not on the side of the dog owner. There should be punishment for the dogs actions. Death I don't totally agree with. But at the same time the cat owner should be looking out for the cat too. What if it was flipped around. The cat wandered into their yard and the dog killed it. You still want the dog dead? If the dog had multiple offenses on animals or people. I would agree with Euthanasia. This is the first offense. All as we know the dog just saw a moving object. Or the cat was stupid and stared the dog down. You know how easily it is to "challenge" a dog. And went to attack a "threat". The door being left open just allowed the dog to do its natural response. All pets need supervision.

Theres nothing to do. Your dog did what dogs are meant to do and one less cat in the world makes everything better for everyone.

Kudos to you and your awesome doggo.

Warned ~ CGI

Guys, the dog doesn't need put down, if a cat killed your neighbours pet rabbit or hamster you wouldn't have the cat put down.

While from now forward you do need to be more careful and ensure this doesn't happen again if your dog is prone to these types of things.

Animals killing other animals is natural, of couse it's terrible when it happens but it's what they do, they're animals.

I'm pretty sure I know in the UK no dog would ever be put down for killing a cat.

So if your dog killed another dog he would have to be put down? But not if it was a cat? According to you? That's some major bs. If a dog killed one of my cats I would demand for that dog to be put down. Sorry.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Around the Network

I'm taking responsibility for the gate being left open. I should have double checked. Most of my other friends know better to leave the gate open but she was unaware so I should have said something.

I'm considering bringing him to another home.

I know my dog isn't perfect, but one thing I know for sure is he wouldn't hurt another person or child. Even if a thief came into my house I know he wouldn't do anything (bastard).

The last paragraph is more of a rant. I wouldn't say any of that to the cat owner. I have to empathize with the cat owner or it won't go over well.

You are responsible and not in any position to making requests. If they want your dog put down, and the law allows it, then you are out of luck.

I can't believe your attitude about it. How about I come kill your dog and guess what? It'll be fine, because ill get you a different one.

Edit:  I'd like to add that I'd kill it by shaking it to death.  

He didn't eat the cat. There wasn't a lot of blood on him.The cat was only bloody around the neck.

smroadkill15 said:
He didn't eat the cat. There wasn't a lot of blood on him.The cat was only bloody around the neck.

I really don't think that makes things much better...

Looking at your situation, you're kinda fucked. An animal is an animal, and if it does harm against something (whether that be a human, or another person's pet), it could be put down, or forced to move. You may just have to get a muzzle for the dog, but I don't know how the laws work in your town/city, so I suggest doing some research. 

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

I wouldn't worry about it too much. While I'm not sure about where you are, I'm pretty sure in the UK a dog wouldn't be put down for killing a cat under that it's natural for animals to kill other animals. It's not like cats don't kill other animals such as rabbits or hamsters and they wouldn't get put down for that.

But you should do something to make sure it doesn't happen again. I'm pretty sure you'll likely be in the clear as long as it doesn't happen again.