By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - My dog killed a neighbors cat! Not sure what to do

If there are any mods who see this, I'm ready for the thread to be locked or deleted. I got the answers I needed.

Around the Network
sc94597 said:
niceguygameplayer said:
I have a cat. He is my little buddy. If a dog killed him, I'd be in a rage. If you knew the dog hated cats, you should have kept him inside and chained while outside. A dog attacked me when I was a kid too. My cat is like an extended family member. I understand if they want the dog put down. My suggestions are to beg for forgiveness, buy a chain and show them that you will use it, offer to do whatever you can, and mostly keep the dog inside for months (to help keep it out of sight and mind for awhile) unless being walked on a leash. Best thing to do is to give the dog away to a more responsible person, though.

By this token everyone with cats should keep their cats indoors or chain them, because cats hunt many more pets than dogs do and are much less trainable to not to. Do you agree that cats shouldn't be allowed outdoors unless they are on a chain? 

Um... What pets do cats hunt? They are usually smaller and much less dangerous than dogs. Also, a cat is no danger to small children unlike the pitbull killers that kills kids and even adults. 

sc94597 said:
Aeolus451 said:

You must hate alot of cat owners and I won't take your word on that you like cats. Your bias with them says otherwise. You seriously can't expect what the majority of cat owners do to change just because you want them to. That's your opinion and it's not the social norm. Also, this a big strawman where you tried to blame the cat instead of the dog and it's owner for what happened. It distracts from the problem itself. Even from your own source, it says that the feral cats do the vast majority of the damage. That's more of a problem with people abandoning their unwanted cat or kittens than people letting their pet cat roam around. 

By that logic, you must hate dogs, because you don't think they should free-roam. Seriously, read what you're typing. It sounds like something a child, would say when I tell them they can't take their pet cat to school "you must hate cats ... I won't take your word on that you like cats". 

In my source it says ~10 billion birds/year are killed by unowned cats (which aren't the same thing as feral; unowned is defined as not allowed in the house) and ~1 billion birds/year are killed by owned cats per year. The mammal proportions are similar. Just because unowned cats are worse, does not mean the effect of the owned ones is insigificant, which is why the study said that they recommend reducing how often the cat is outside. 

Furthermore, if I were a sleazball scum, who actually hated cats, I would prefer that they live outdoors, so that they could die horrible premature deaths from disease or trauma. It is the person who wants to be irresponsible with them that truly has no love for pets. So I recommend reevaluing the situation, rather than simplistically presuming "You must hate cats", lol. 

But alas, I doubt you will actually address the harms and risks of letting cats free-roam. I wonder who is the one with the bias here? 

In your own source, the bulk of the damage is done by feral cats. You have an unrealistic stance on pet cats being outside and this cat stuff is a strawman. The dog killed someone else's pet because it got loose. You're the one trying to blame the victim (the cat) and it's owner.  

smroadkill15 said:
Nogamez said:
I have a feeling you may have your dog put down and may not be allowed to ow dogs anymore. Jesus imagine if that was a small child or baby in that neighbours garden that got killed. You would be facing jail time.

A. The dogs not getting put down because it killed a cat. Btw it's not my dog so people need to stop saying that.

B. He's not aggessive toward kids or adults. The mailman even likes our dog because it's probably the only dog on the block that doesn't bark at him.

C. It would be pretty irresponsible of any parents for them to leave a child or baby unattended at 9:30 at night. 

Now your just chatting shite, very first thing your OP said was "my dog just killed a neighbours cat" haha make your mind up madman

Locking by the OP's request. Feel free to move these individual conversations to PM if needed.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334