By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Are people inherently evil?

Nope, most of us are inherently good. If most people would be inherently evil then pretty much every country would have a large prison population like the USA.

Around the Network

Dispositionally people are, we are born with specific traits. Also we externally develop dispositions which are regarded negative, be that attitudes, self-views etc.

A combination of nature and nurture create you who you are.

There is a little bit of hope but humans are greedy and selfish and I don't see that going away sadly. Maybe after some kind of reset, type of Apocalypse or WW3. As it is the ones with real power and money are living in a bubble of self content.

I'm just an alien, and humans are evil, they have no life, all just fighting each other over things for silly reason.

War is shit.

No, we are inherently good with a less-than acceptable IQ level. The amount of people who do "evil" is very small. The reason we think it's not is because the media is 24/7 now and we're all jacked into the machine.

Around the Network

Most are good, but some are inherently awful. Upbringing and circumstance can have a significant impact on how a person behaves, but some people are lousy no matter what. Just as others will always see the bright side no matter how beaten down they may be.

Hmm. This is a good topic. I've actually put a great deal of thought into this when I was exploring religion in my younger days. My conclusiion on this is not religious though. I think that good and evil are really just romanticised versions of selflessness and selfishness.

When you really boil good and evil down, that's what they inherently are. Think of examples of great acts of evil and good then try to think of which ones are closer to selfiness and selflessness. Just to point his out, minor to moderate levels of selfishness doesn't make someone evil no more than minor to moderate levels of selflessness makes someone good. It's dependent on the level of selflessness or selfishness and a person's motive behind their action if you could call something a good or evil act. I

I agree that to a great extent that society/family life can mold a person's degree of accepted level of selfishness and expected level of selfishness. Since alot of people conflate law/justice with good and evil, I'll give my thoughts on that as well. I believe the role of laws or police is maintain order within society and that it has little to do with good or evil or justice otherwise the laws of the world would be very different.

I think that most people are good and evil or selfish and selfless. It depends on the individual.

There isn't really good or evil, it is just humans trying to define things.

Keeping it simple, lets say all the humans killed each other. Some might think it would be an evil act, but in the end without humans some animals would flourish which would be thought of as a good act. And with a new animal on top of the food chain some animals would falter and perhaps go extinct, a bad act.

So what is an evil action + a good action? just an action. I think all actions will have an upside and a downside.

There's no good or evil only different perspectives

No. Just like animals we are survivalist. Back in the beginning of humanity, we was it quite literally as food was the all be all. Then as we developed and sustenance became abundant for more and more people, we started to focus our survival on other things. Things we didn't need to survive physically but socially, so materialistic things and social relations. Being selfish isn't inherently evil. It is just an urge to live better than your peers in several ways, often at the expense of others yes., but that is just how we are. If a man on the street had a million dollars and you could force him to it to you or your mother. Would you give it to yourself or your mother. Sure you might pass along some of that cash to your mother but I'm pretty sure you would keep the bulk of it for yourself.. Or even better. I'm also pretty sure you didn't even consider not forcing him to give that money away.