By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Are people inherently evil?

Good and evil is something we determined through experience, social interaction and pain and joy.

We are born beyond good and evil because we don't know what good or evil is, we are a "tabula rasa". So, inherently we are not good nor evil.

It's our experiences that shape us. So, you can become good or evil according to some parameters or your own views (assuming nothing is biologically broken that impedes empathy).

Around the Network
collint0101 said:
Aeolus451 said:

You're conflating the breaking of a society's rules/laws with evil. They're not the same thing. Evil for the most part is not subjective but laws/rules of the land are. 

You can legally stone someone to death for saying god damn it in iran. Is that evil or is that simply an example of different moral standards and beliefs in a foreign country

I guess you can say that law is evil because the so-called crime isn't equal to the punishment. It's pointless brutality. Those sort of laws are based on a barbaric interpretation of a religion that needs to be modernized. 

Aeolus451 said:
palou said:

Agreed.

I'd say the contrary. You can objectively follow the rules of the land. I would claim that saying someone is evil is inherintly subjective.

What constistutes as evil is generally universal like rapists, canablism (outside of extreme survival situations), serial killers, murderers in general, child molesters, genocidal acts. Things of along that line. 

These general rules are established by our emotions (which, in turn, serve to our collective survival). Just because we, as humans, feel that way, does not mean that it is an objective truth. 

If you want to name anything objectively evil, I require you to give a precise definition evil - we can, then, make a list of what applies, and what doesn't. 

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

No, but I am! Wahahahahahaha *kicks a kid*

Thanks for the responses everyone!! Some interesting perspectives here.

Around the Network
palou said:
Aeolus451 said:

What constistutes as evil is generally universal like rapists, canablism (outside of extreme survival situations), serial killers, murderers in general, child molesters, genocidal acts. Things of along that line. 

These general rules are established by our emotions (which, in turn, serve to our collective survival). Just because we, as humans, feel that way, does not mean that it is an objective truth. 

If you want to name anything objectively evil, I require you to give a precise definition evil - we can, then, make a list of what applies, and what doesn't. 

No, they are not. They are established by reasoned thoughts and logic. Yes, they are usually common sense kind of things like don't steal or basically don't hurt others for unjust reasons. Emotions or emotional responses are for the most part are just a knee-jerk reaction to stimuli and a way for nature to ensure we form attachments to our young and to the people we care about. Emotions do give people an incentive or motivation of sorts but that's not how we created language or build society. Our emotions do not rule us, it's through reason that at least for most of us is how we decide to. 

I already gave my two cents on what I think evil and good really are in my post earlier in this thread. Your welcome to read it. I did create quasi list of things or type of people I think are evil. 

People are good when they can be, but push comes to shove and its between me living or you, people will do evil things to save themselves.

I think the opposite, actually. People are inherently good. Even the most evil among us do things right the vast majority of the time.

The only support for intrinsic evil would have to be from heritable traits. We know now that epigenetics also plays a role in passing along habits to offspring. Now this is a relatively new discovery and not much is currently known about how or why these are passed along, however it is a trivial leap to suggest that if one forms a habit of being mendacious or manipulative such behavior could be found in the progeny.

I should have said that is the only naturalistic way I could conceive of intrinsic evil, not that I believe in good/evil anyway, which seem entirely arbitrary.

The religious among us often claim that we are born evil, which I find totally absurd. But that is a side of the discussion worth entertaining I suppose...just not with me, I've better things to do.

I always think of a quote by George Carlin:
“People are wonderful. I love individuals. I hate groups of people. I hate a group of people with a 'common purpose'. 'Cause pretty soon they have little hats. And armbands. And fight songs. And a list of people they're going to visit at 3am...”