By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft needs better pr for crackdown

LudicrousSpeed said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

So a comedy segment is supposed to draw the same reaction as  a livestream for gamers and comic con enthusiasts. Three cheers for logic!!

P.S. 

Please don't ever write a script. I doubt you even know who it was that made the video either. That dudes one of the biggest Xbox fans in the world. His gamerscore proves it.

What kind of reaction are you expecting a livestream filled with celebrities and people who don't play games to draw? Cheer harder for logic, maybe you'll start using some :) Then again like I already said, you're the guy who wants Crackdown delayed because journalists don't like the visuals, even though those same journalists gush about the gameplay. That's a failure of logic there, too.

The type of gamer who would tune in to a Comic-Con livestream to watch a game, in my opinion, is either a hardcore gamer or someone already interested in the game. And I highly doubt watching some random person who can't play games struggle around is going to sway them one way or another. Journalists playing the games on their preferred websites, gaming conferences filled with gamers and developers like E3, sure. This, no. The only feeling this would draw is the feeling Tudyk described while playing the game himself at Comic-Con with Major Nelson. Anger and a desire to snatch the controller away and play it correctly.

Conan on the other hand is a mass market mainstream talk show host and yet publishers don't mind letting him and a random celebrity basically crap on their game for a short time because it's still marketing and it's still publicity. Conan routinely trashes games, feigns boredom and sleep when the premise and lore of games are explained to him, and also mocks anyone who makes or plays the games seriously. All for comedy, of course. Idk, maybe you just don't get marketing?

You are at least right about one thing. No, I don't have a clue who made the video and don't care either. I don't follow who is the most followed YouTuber or what console they each prefer. Being a big fan of one thing or another doesn't make one immune to a bad video :)

What kind of reaction was I expecting? Being a millenial who watches youtube, Twitch and other apps.....I expected an internet response. LOL I said, I want Crackdown to be pushed back for the sake of the game. I want to play the game and I want to play it at its highest quality....and I also said...(logically speaking) its release date is going to destroy the game because consumers are going to be forced to decide whether they want Crackdown 3, Star Wars Battlefront  or COD. I got the same shades of the mistake EA made because this is not good decision-making by Microsoft. Ive watched videos of the first Crackdown and it seems like decent fun, but the way things are looking for Crackdown 3...that game is going straight into the deep discount area just like Halo Wars, but the only difference is that more people were actually talking about Crackdown. You're mistakening someone who wants the best for the game for someone who actually dislikes it.

I believe Rand got the con footage got the footage from Mixer....which is a stream gamers watch. Do you know what happens if gamers see games with screw ups and bad pr? Go to youtube and look up" worst E3 moments". 

If you werent paying attention in the video, Major Nelson had to try and talk his way out of the crappy gameplay of the person who was playing next to him as well as the bad physics. Someone in the comments section literally wrote a whole paragraph of what he said just to show how ridiculous it sound. If you have your marketing strategy together, you showcase the game publically with someone who somewhat knows what they are doing  (at  least by a moderate level). 

Rand is actually sick of people talking crap about Crackdown and wishes the game the best, but hes finally awakening to Microsofts marketing.

Rand Al Thor is the million gamerscore gamer, who was featured at Microsofts E3 last year. Hes a pro Xbox Gamer and he is pretty level headed, but even this was unprofessional to him. 

Also, look up the internet backlash when Polygon had a bad fps gamer preview doom on their channel. The preview video made a great game look god awful and most of the fans who know what doom looked like when its played by someone who is selling the game to them spoke up. Polygon even tried defended themselves in the instance, but it no one was listening because it was purely unprofessional.

Around the Network
smroadkill15 said:
I saw those clips the other day. Wasn't smart to have people who have no idea how to play the game, or games in general, show the game off. There is already enough bad PR surrounding the game, this doesn't help. It's time for them to show off the multiplayer.

Those complaining about the graphics need to realize this game has never been about that. It's not why people enjoy playing Crackdown and never will be. Do you think people play Minecraft because it looks pretty? It's all about the gameplay and playing with friends. This is the same for Crackdown.

What do they do if the gameplay looks generic and boreing too?

ThisGuyFooks said:
jason1637 said:

Nah I like Platnuim, I was just taking a stab at scalebounds frame rate.

Scalebound had an interesting concept, looked really fun and fresh in gameplay videos and came from a proven studio, yet people were relieved when the game got canned.

Crackdown 3 looks AWFUL from what they have showed, and people are still shitting on Scalebound to somehow feel better about this game.

The world we live in.

Yep, they should have kept Scalebound, gameplay and concept where much better.

And its not like Xbox really "needs" another generic shooter, with the main focus on multiplayer.

Releaseing next to Star Wars Battlefront & COD, Crackdown 3 looking in poor shape, is going to tank.

Theres 2 better shooters, bigger titles and IP, releaseing right next to it.

foodfather said:

wow you clowns are overdramatic. Ever heard of a bad stream? Game looks fine to me. 

Warned ~ CGI

C'mon man. People have the right to be let down after they initially showed us this as the game footage.

You can see how it looks a bit last gen in comparison to that. And I'm not just talking about the physics in multiplayer. The lighting, the rendering... Crackdown 3 gave us the ol' target render bait and switcheroo. And instead of calling it out, some Xbox fans chose to circle the wagons instead. MS did it to themselves after showing off the Gamescon footage first.

CGI-Quality said:
JRPGfan said:

Thats from a Trailer..... same with bullshots, you dont always know the end result is going to end up looking like that (which it doesnt appear too).

Why not judge it based on gameplay videos instead?

Heres a gameplay video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrOj1JrV-C4

I judged it based on everything I saw, which included three videos of gameplay. Nothing presented is as bad as its strictest critics have lead me to believe.

May not be as bad as they made you believe... but when they toote the 4K HDR on the game as a showcase of X1X power and the graphics are as weak as this then it is a issue for MS.

smroadkill15 said:
I saw those clips the other day. Wasn't smart to have people who have no idea how to play the game, or games in general, show the game off. There is already enough bad PR surrounding the game, this doesn't help. It's time for them to show off the multiplayer.

Those complaining about the graphics need to realize this game has never been about that. It's not why people enjoy playing Crackdown and never will be. Do you think people play Minecraft because it looks pretty? It's all about the gameplay and playing with friends. This is the same for Crackdown.

Then don't put out the game as if to showcase the capability of X1X as a 4kHDR Machine as they did on E3. Unfortunatelly the game seems to be running more on PS360 than on Scorpio level hardware. And if they focus that this was possible because how good Scorpio is, the system won't have much showcase of its capacities.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

JRPGfan said:
smroadkill15 said:

What do they do if the gameplay looks generic and boreing too?

Have you played any of the previous Crackdown games before? If you didn't like the original you probably won't like this one because this plays just like it.

Watching gameplay vs actually playing the game is way different. I wrote off the original Crackdown for the longest time because it looked meh but then I actually played it, and it's one of my favorite open world games now. Throw in 4 player co-op and it's really damn fun. 

Around the Network

DonFerrari said:

smroadkill15 said:

Then don't put out the game as if to showcase the capability of X1X as a 4kHDR Machine as they did on E3. Unfortunatelly the game seems to be running more on PS360 than on Scorpio level hardware. And if they focus that this was possible because how good Scorpio is, the system won't have much showcase of its capacities.

Well it's one of their premiere exclusives this year besides Forza. What do you want them to do? Downplay their own game? I don't see anyone at MS saying Crackdown 3 is the pinicle of the X1X power. They just touting it runs at 4kHDR just like every other game that will run at 4kHDR on the X1X. You can go ahead and say the game looks bad but that won't take away from how fun it is. 

S.T.A.G.E. said:

What kind of reaction was I expecting? Being a millenial who watches youtube, Twitch and other apps.....I expected an internet response. LOL I said, I want Crackdown to be pushed back for the sake of the game. I want to play the game and I want to play it at its highest quality....and I also said...(logically speaking) its release date is going to destroy the game because consumers are going to be forced to decide whether they want Crackdown 3, Star Wars Battlefront  or COD. I got the same shades of the mistake EA made because this is not good decision-making by Microsoft.

Uh, cool? I mean, the stream did get a reaction. And in some cases, a cringey overreaction. You wanted Crackdown 3 pushed back because the graphics suck and the release date was bad. Both pretty terrible reasons for wanting a game delayed, but made even worse by the fact that all the journalists you talk about that crapped on its visuals had nothing but praise for the gameplay. I'm just a gamer. If a good game comes out then I welcome it. I don't worry about when its releasing or what it looks like so long as it plays well. Furthermore like I told you in another one of your Crackdown 3 threads, the second they delay the game you're going to be making post after post about how "the only credible Xbone exclusive" of the year is delayed, or whatever you called it. If the game comes out in November, buy it if you want it. If not, buy something else. People buy a shit ton of games during the holidays. Maybe MS figures the extra sales they'll make by a holiday release offsets the loss of sales from heavy competition?

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Ive watched videos of the first Crackdown and it seems like decent fun, but the way things are looking for Crackdown 3...that game is going straight into the deep discount area just like Halo Wars, but the only difference is that more people were actually talking about Crackdown. You're mistakening someone who wants the best for the game for someone who actually dislikes it.

I believe Rand got the con footage got the footage from Mixer....which is a stream gamers watch. Do you know what happens if gamers see games with screw ups and bad pr? Go to youtube and look up" worst E3 moments". 

I'm shocked more people are talking about an open world action game than a console RTS game. Also, I haven't just watched videos of Crackdown, I actually bought it day one. And I even played through the shitty Crackdown 2. All the critics are saying this is a throw back to the original game and that the gameplay is a blast. Sounds good enough for me. You feel free to continue worrying about release date and graphics.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

If you werent paying attention in the video, Major Nelson had to try and talk his way out of the crappy gameplay of the person who was playing next to him as well as the bad physics. Someone in the comments section literally wrote a whole paragraph of what he said just to show how ridiculous it sound. If you have your marketing strategy together, you showcase the game publically with someone who somewhat knows what they are doing  (at  least by a moderate level). 

Rand is actually sick of people talking crap about Crackdown and wishes the game the best, but hes finally awakening to Microsofts marketing.

Goofy physics shit happens in literally every open world game. Major Nelson is a douchebag who always talks over people and is horrible at commentating on gameplay. That being said, who gives a crap what he was trying to "talk his way out of"? He's a Microsoft employee shilling a Microsoft game. Companies have streams and videos of celebrities and shitty gamers all the fucking time. Has nothing to do with getting your "marketing strategy together". Again, watch E3 videos where you have actual gamers playing. Who knew a conference for gamers would have people good at playing games, and a conference for comic book enthusiasts would not. And surprise, even a celebrity who knows a thing or two about gaming actually still sucks at gaming. Again, ever heard of Clueless Gamer?

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Rand Al Thor is the million gamerscore gamer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P53rKXJVBGg

Really, no offense, but who cares who he is. Was there a bigger Xbox fan than Don Mattrick? Look how utterly wrong he was.

Better PR?! They need a better game first. I'll tell you...the multiplayer will be a huge disappointment with no complex destruction at all. Cloud powah my ass!

btw have you guys seen the Forza stream with drunk as hell Mr. Nelson?! You're right, they really aren't trying!

S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:

Holy moly this game is ugly. Looks like a PS3/360 game from about 2008.

lol I don't know what happened to that 2014 tech demo. That bare bones looked better than all of this.

I know what happened...it was a huge fake to lure people into believing the X One will be more powerful with Teh Cloudz!

onionberry said:

Looks interesting, but not like a AAA game.

btw Saints Row 4 looks better than this graphically and the gameplay too.

Luckily Volition, the SR makers, will release Agents of Mayhem around the same time which seems to be a much more promising game!