By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is nobody going to talk about the fact that Atari re-entered the console market?

monocle_layton said:

The SNES is when 2d games became good. NES was hit/miss, but things really took off with games like Super Mario World.

This Atari console appeals to almost no one. Doesn't have any exclusives, lacks Switch's portability, not enough power to compete with ps4/xb1, no physical game support, unknown price range, and nonexistent power in the gaming industry

If people think Microsoft should exit, there's no chance for someone like Atari succeeding

I agree 100% there is a vast amount of people who want/think it would be better for microsoft to stop making consoles but Atari re-entering is a much less competative console to anything out on the market.

I guess its supposed to compete with the Nvidia Shield TV and Ouya more then the PS4 and Xbox One however but it still looks like something that is destined to fail even tough they have the name that might capture some of the older people Nintendo generally already has that market with their recent classic releases and the switch, so... yeah...

Microsoft has NO GAMES everyone says, but look at Atari their first party studios and realize that if they wanted a console and release new games, they would be hopeless as a first party developer. If anyone is ever to re-enter the market Sega is the one that has the Name and the Developers to make a shot.

Twitter @CyberMalistix

Around the Network

Atari has re-entered the console market multiple times in the last 30 years. Unsuccessful each time.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Why? Nobody paid attention to the gameband? For a good reason.

Hunting Season is done...

Wake me up when Sega re-enters the console market.

Not many Atari console fans here, and with no info, nobody is bothering :p

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network

There are some who think the Xbox is irrelevant - so what makes you think this has a chance at all in the current market? There is a reason no one is talking about it, and that is because it is probably going to suck and fail.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

FIT_Gamer said:
Wake me up when Sega re-enters the console market.

Sega could probably do it... Atari should have gone looking for a partner ship with some game studios ect.

Im not sure Atari is strong enough to successfully re-enter the market on their own.

Id consider this a "risky" buy... theres every chance it just falls flat on its face, and gets no support shortly after launch.

Ouya

Coleco Chameleon.

That's how it comes accross is another thing like this. Also unless your 45 or older most people here didn't experience Atari back in it's heyday.

Atari is Atari in name only but the original Atari has been gone for almost 30 years. They were bought in the 80s closed sometime later infogrames bought their name used t for publishing in the 90s up through PS2 era. Atari is literally just a name now owned by someone else.  SEGA is still SEGA and be more interesting if they came back.

If they make it compatible to any Atari system up to Jaguar + Atari ST, I will buy it.

"The Atari Box: plays EVERY Atari game - all Atari hardware in one box"

JRPGfan said:
Cloudman said:

Yeah, I can see the look does have some charm, especially to people who played the 2600. I wasn't born around that time, so I don't really know gaming then was like. I got my start on the NES.

Googled Atari 2600 games.... found this:

Its too dated for me.... I couldnt myself sit down and enjoy a game that looked like this anymore.

Graphics and gameplay look too simple.

I started gaming on Atari back in the day. Even I will admit these days NES is as far back as I can go before I stop enjoying them. Think of it like the silent era for films. It has an audience but it's getting smaller and smaller as time moves forward.

That said for anyone who is curious to try old Atari games and have a PS4.