By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is nobody going to talk about the fact that Atari re-entered the console market?

Well, that's interesting to say the least. Their line "objective is to create a new product that stays true to our heritage while appealing to both old and new fans of Atari." sounds weird. What are they gonna do, make it a 'Classic' type of box by holding a lot of old school atari games in it, while having new modern games as well? Does it mean the controller will be like a 2600 controller?

I know they want to have that old school feel, but did they really need to make it look like something from the 80s? This whole thing just seems kinda funny to me.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network

too soon to predict the outcome but on paper i like the idea of a european console developer.

Cloudman said:
Well, that's interesting to say the least. Their line "objective is to create a new product that stays true to our heritage while appealing to both old and new fans of Atari." sounds weird. What are they gonna do, make it a 'Classic' type of box by holding a lot of old school atari games in it, while having new modern games as well? Does it mean the controller will be like a 2600 controller?

I know they want to have that old school feel, but did they really need to make it look like something from the 80s? This whole thing just seems kinda funny to me.

I actually like that old timey look to it but I didn't care for it's games or conrollers though back then. I don't want to relive any of that.

0815user said:

too soon to predict the outcome but on paper i like the idea of a european console developer.

They have to focus their efforts on getting android games to their store then, they cant just sit back and go "these are old atari games, enjoy".

How big a market is there for these old games from the 80's ? Its probably not that big.

Im thinking as incentive, they should allow all the Atari games they can via emulation, for free.

So that anyone that buys this machine gets access to every old atari game there was.

Then focus on selling newer 3rd party android games on it (as a means of makeing money).

Maybe its enough.... or it ends up as another Ouya.

Aeolus451 said:
Cloudman said:

I actually like that old timey look to it but I didn't care for it's games or conrollers though back then. I don't want to relive any of that.

Yeah, I can see the look does have some charm, especially to people who played the 2600. I wasn't born around that time, so I don't really know gaming then was like. I got my start on the NES.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network
Cloudman said:
Aeolus451 said:

Yeah, I can see the look does have some charm, especially to people who played the 2600. I wasn't born around that time, so I don't really know gaming then was like. I got my start on the NES.

Googled Atari 2600 games.... found this:

Its too dated for me.... I couldnt myself sit down and enjoy a game that looked like this anymore.

Graphics and gameplay look too simple.

JRPGfan said:
Cloudman said:

Its too dated for me.... I couldnt myself sit down and enjoy a game that looked like this anymore.

The graphics for the last game actually look pretty good. Battlezone is another game that looks very impressive for the 2600.

VGPolyglot said:
JRPGfan said:

The graphics for the last game actually look pretty good. Battlezone is another game that looks very impressive for the 2600.

The thing is people are expecting something like this nowadays:

Market for those old 2600 games is very little.

Their too simple (gameplay) (and thus boring) and their too hideous to enjoy playing.

JRPGfan said:
Cloudman said:

It was boring to no end. i couldn't sit down for 5 mins to play any of the atari games except for maybe frogger or something. I like the look of those consoles, though.

JRPGfan said:
VGPolyglot said:

The thing is people are expecting something like this nowadays:

Market for those old 2600 games is very little.

Their too simple (gameplay) (and thus boring) and their too hideous to enjoy playing.

The SNES is when 2d games became good. NES was hit/miss, but things really took off with games like Super Mario World.

This Atari console appeals to almost no one. Doesn't have any exclusives, lacks Switch's portability, not enough power to compete with ps4/xb1, no physical game support, unknown price range, and nonexistent power in the gaming industry

If people think Microsoft should exit, there's no chance for someone like Atari succeeding