By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Keeping an open mind, but my expectations are really really low. They had an awesome actor in Capaldi but the sewerage he was given as scripts and stories made his time a real low point in the show. If they really wanted to change things up they could start by hiring decent writers and producers etc. i.e. they should have fired the twat Moffat way before he did all this damage. Wondering if this could be the final death blow to the franchise.

Around the Network
Tulipanzo said:
I'm honestly quite excited about it, she seems to have good acting chops, though I'm not too familiar with her work.
I've been recommended Broadchurch, Attack the Block and The Entire History of You (from Black Mirror).

As an aside, it is quite hilarious to see crybabies' reaction to this. Undignified as ever

Fairly undignified statement their at the end. Could have been classy, but you had to be assy.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Seems perfectly fine by me. All that really matters is that the writing and acting is good. The gender of the main character is an arbitrary characteristic that doesn't effect the quality of the series in any way. If they wanted to make the doctor a woman, I see nothing wrong with that.

I looked at some of her other stuff. Not impressed. She's not terribly funny or clever, which is 90% of what I feel the Doctor should be. Maybe it's her writers' faults... Or maybe she has bad execution.

Regardless, like the slow ride to the top of the roller coaster, we're going to have to see it through. I hope she's good, because Capaldi already has me rethinking the series over all. It'd be a shame if, like the Ghostbusters, female Protags killed Doctor Who.

As much as I enjoy the early Dr Who episodes with William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton and Tom Baker (wasn't as keen on Jon Pertwee) after that my interest in Dr Who completely diminished. I don't think I've enjoyed a Dr Who story in the last 10 years although saying that I've only watched bits of some episodes. It just doesn't have any sort of believable script. I like my scifi that makes me believe the fantastic events are actually happening but I never get that illusion with the modern Dr Who. I don't care what gender the doctor is I just want fantastic scripts that draw me in. I guess I need to find out what have been the really brilliant stories over that timeline and check a few out.

Around the Network
Azuren said:

I looked at some of her other stuff. Not impressed. She's not terribly funny or clever, which is 90% of what I feel the Doctor should be. Maybe it's her writers' faults... Or maybe she has bad execution.

Regardless, like the slow ride to the top of the roller coaster, we're going to have to see it through. I hope she's good, because Capaldi already has me rethinking the series over all. It'd be a shame if, like the Ghostbusters, female Protags killed Doctor Who.

Female protagonists didn't kill Ghostbusters. It just wasn't a good movie.

SecondWar said:
Yerm said:
ever since Moffat took over the show it has been going downhill. there have just been so many stupid moments since Season 5. first he decided that the TARDIS noise should be a cause of the Doctor leaving the breaks on. then we got fat rainbow Daleks which even Moffat agrees was a mistake. then all of the 10th Doctor's adventures were canonically wiped from history after the TARDIS blew up for no goddamn reason. we got the completely unnecessary romantic subplot with River. we got John Hurt, who although was a good character was a complete waste of a regeneration. the battle for Trenzalore which made no damn sense since he was supposed to die but hen Moffat decided not to (why do it in the first place then). the Master is now a crazy lady. the sonic screwdriver turned into sonic sunglasses for an entire season. and then finally we got Season 10's awful 3-parter about aliens who want to rule the world and simulate the entire world just to rule the world because of absolutely no reason at all.

but he couldnt just let things go that easily. he had to take one last stab at the fanbase, where even after 3 years of people telling him NOT to make the Doctor a woman, various actors turning the role down because they feel the Doctor shouldnt be a woman, and people working on the show having doubts about the doctor being a woman... Moffat made the Doctor a woman....

i fear it may be too late to save this show

I agree with several points here, but it was mainly that Moffat was just not as good as Russell Davies, simply because Davies planned the key elements of his 4 seasons from the beginning. It was clear Moffat was doing this as early as his secind season when you step as realise that the logic behind the Silence had completely changed and didn't fit with the continuity. The same happened with the 2 Trenzalore epiosdes.

He did have some really good standalone episodes, Heaven Sent to me was amazing and The Day of the Doctor was no disappointment, but some moments were really overplayed and became cheesey - my picks here being Amy and Rory's death (probably going to feel some heat for that) and Clara whispering into the crack in the universe in the time of the doctor.

i wont deny that he did write some great episodes, but i think his best work is the episodes he wrote for the 9th and 10th doctor. he was great for solo episodes but his convoluted multi-episode arks that he attempted felt silly, like he just it up as it went along. 

Zekkyou said:
Puppyroach said:
Also, female doctors shouldn't be strange at all, it should be as common as male doctors in the lore, right?

I don't believe we've ever been given specifics on the gender split for timelords in general, but individual timelords have been presented as usually favouring one or the other. The first time a timelord gender switch was mentioned was 2011 i think, and the first time it was shown (Hell Bent in 2015) it was implied to be somewhat of a surprise when it does happens. Doctor Who frequently retcons itself though, so maybe they'll decide it was common all along in series 11+.

Actually, they have shown several female Time Lords ever since way back. All inhabitants of Gallifrey are Time Lords, and there are women in Gallifrey, which means they are female Time Lords. Also Jenny, the Doctor's daughter is part time lord, Missy, the last incarnation of The Master is also a lady Time Lord(she was revealed way before Hell Bent. They didn't show her regeneration but it was obvious enough as she is The Master who was previously male).

more here:

http://doctorwho.answers.wikia.com/wiki/Are_there_any_female_Time_Lords

Teeqoz said:
Azuren said:

Split hairs all you want. It was the Bridesmaids comedy that killed it.

Azuren said:
Teeqoz said:

Split hairs all you want. It was the Bridesmaids comedy that killed it.

Which is to blame on the bad writing.