By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Chazore said:
Well I guess Moffat got what he wanted and ended the final twist of the badly written knife of his.

The current season bored me half to death and was losing my general interest, but this turn of events is telling me that it's time to watch something else.

I'll probably check back on the show in another 5-10 years time, if it's even still around and trying something else other than pandering to a specific group.

Pond was best companion though.

This decision was made by Chris Chibnall (the new showrunner for series 11+), not Moffat. Apparently he set out from the start to pick a female doctor.

Around the Network
Puppyroach said:
Also, female doctors shouldn't be strange at all, it should be as common as male doctors in the lore, right?

I don't believe we've ever been given specifics on the gender split for timelords in general, but individual timelords have been presented as usually favouring one or the other. The first time a timelord gender switch was mentioned was 2011 i think, and the first time it was shown (Hell Bent in 2015) it was implied to be somewhat of a surprise when it does happens. Doctor Who frequently retcons itself though, so maybe they'll decide it was common all along in series 11+.

JRPGfan said:

Saw a few episodes now and then... meh.
Overall my thoughts: it doesnt fit with the story.

His "soul" or whatever, always morphs into a man.
Why would it suddenly go woman? there has to be some sort of explaination if they do a shift like this.... otherwise it ll be weird from a story standpoint.

They need to explain the "why" of it.

Why Missy?

@OP: Whittaker played in Broadchurch, as did Tennant, the ninth doctor.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Teeqoz said:
Lorewise there wasn't anything preventing this from happening. The reason it didn't happen in the 60s or 70s or 80s is rather obvious. The Doctor regenerating always brings about a change in the personality of the doctor, a change in gender is rather minor compared to that. But people will complain. Of course. And they are allowed to, even if I don't see a problem with it.

It's much more important wether the writing is actually good. New Doctor Who has been a bit of a roller coaster in terms of writing quality.

I agree with all aspects of this post.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Carl2291 said:
I'm not against it. It's been coming for a while now. Anyone getting upset with the regenerating alien time traveler changing appearance from a man to a woman needs to get their head out of their butts.

That said, I think Capaldi has been brilliant and I'd love to see him take hold of the role for a lot longer. Shame he followed the 3 season cycle.

Yeah, Capaldi fast became my most favored doctor. A shame he goes, but actually it is a good thing for Doctor Who as a whole that the staff 'regenerates', before and behind the camera.

Around the Network
Stefan.De.Machtige said:

I had no wish to see the new season of Doctor Who after the previous season. I knew it had begun and i just didn't care anymore.

Reading this expected news, I think i'm now really done with the series .

Why do some guys get so butt hurt when they see a strong woman? I honestly never got it.

Oh well, you'll grow up someday, man :)

Moderated ~ CGI

JRPGfan said:
StarOcean said:

If it's been known that others have done it, how is it impossible for him not to? Kinda like God. God is always shown as a dude but clearly God doesnt have or need a dick and is neither. Thats a seperate discussion, but always one funny to play around with as well

"The fact the Corsair changed genders doesn't mean all Time Lords change genders: it's been speculated that it just means the Corsair was the Time Lord equivalent of LBGT."

The Corsair was a "weird" Time Lord.

Doctor Who... isnt? Hes always been male.

Why does he suddenly turn into a woman? doesnt make sense from a story standpoint.

The master and the general on Gallifrey regenerated into a women. And the doctor IS weird. Even for a time lord. That's the thing though, the doctor can be anything. Hmm, a regeneration that is bad - the doctor is always in the grey. One regeneration that is slightly evil.

Yerm said:
ever since Moffat took over the show it has been going downhill. there have just been so many stupid moments since Season 5. first he decided that the TARDIS noise should be a cause of the Doctor leaving the breaks on. then we got fat rainbow Daleks which even Moffat agrees was a mistake. then all of the 10th Doctor's adventures were canonically wiped from history after the TARDIS blew up for no goddamn reason. we got the completely unnecessary romantic subplot with River. we got John Hurt, who although was a good character was a complete waste of a regeneration. the battle for Trenzalore which made no damn sense since he was supposed to die but hen Moffat decided not to (why do it in the first place then). the Master is now a crazy lady. the sonic screwdriver turned into sonic sunglasses for an entire season. and then finally we got Season 10's awful 3-parter about aliens who want to rule the world and simulate the entire world just to rule the world because of absolutely no reason at all.

but he couldnt just let things go that easily. he had to take one last stab at the fanbase, where even after 3 years of people telling him NOT to make the Doctor a woman, various actors turning the role down because they feel the Doctor shouldnt be a woman, and people working on the show having doubts about the doctor being a woman... Moffat made the Doctor a woman....

i fear it may be too late to save this show

I agree with several points here, but it was mainly that Moffat was just not as good as Russell Davies, simply because Davies planned the key elements of his 4 seasons from the beginning. It was clear Moffat was doing this as early as his secind season when you step as realise that the logic behind the Silence had completely changed and didn't fit with the continuity. The same happened with the 2 Trenzalore epiosdes.

He did have some really good standalone episodes, Heaven Sent to me was amazing and The Day of the Doctor was no disappointment, but some moments were really overplayed and became cheesey - my picks here being Amy and Rory's death (probably going to feel some heat for that) and Clara whispering into the crack in the universe in the time of the doctor.

Dyllyo said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:

I had no wish to see the new season of Doctor Who after the previous season. I knew it had begun and i just didn't care anymore.

Reading this expected news, I think i'm now really done with the series .

Why do some guys get so butt hurt when they see a strong woman? I honestly never got it.

Oh well, you'll grow up someday, man :)

Maybe you can grow up and learn to read .

I said i didn't see the last season of the male doctor. So i quit a season before i would ever see the woman doctor. And i quit because of the writing or tone of the "male" capaldi Doctor. I was judging doctor Who on its content and not its appearance.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

I would be interested, maybe even little excited, but Chris Chibnall is the showrunner so I know in the end it'll be shit regardless.