By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild rises to #1 selling game this year

Well done to MK8 as well. I wasn't expecting these sorts of numbers for a port yet.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
Horizon is no doubt still the #1 sku for the year including digital. And it's retail sales have been huge lately with its $40 price point.

Zelda really should be beating it in the end but if Horizon replaces uncharted 4 as the standard ps4 slim/pro bundle this holiday and into next year it can hang with it in the long run.

Crazy to think a game by guerilla is challenging a pillar of gaming culture like Zelda.

Tbh when you add the WiiU version there is not even a contest.

That's GOTY ! Well deserved.

But I bought Horizon just now lol.

Ljink96 said:
Nautilus said:
And thats just the Switch version.And the Switch is supply constrained.

But the important thing here is that both great games got great sales!

I know! This isn't even including Wii U or Digital on both platforms! It's probably well over 4.5 million at this point.

It's well over 5m now. Could be at 6m shipped + digital. 

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

That's great! Include digital and horizon should be near or over 4 million..... but yea that's great zelda deserves those sales! As does
Horizon!

mM
Around the Network
leo-j said:
That's great! Include digital and horizon should be near or over 4 million..... but yea that's great zelda deserves those sales! As does
Horizon!

2017 its not end? Day after day Zelda sell better than Horizon? All of Sony fans hurts how its possible a 3m  Game Console can beat a  60m Game Console? I have say from the first day thats Zelda can win this battle Easly?? 

guiduc said:
Kerotan said:
Horizon is no doubt still the #1 sku for the year including digital. And it's retail sales have been huge lately with its $40 price point.

Zelda really should be beating it in the end but if Horizon replaces uncharted 4 as the standard ps4 slim/pro bundle this holiday and into next year it can hang with it in the long run.

Crazy to think a game by guerilla is challenging a pillar of gaming culture like Zelda.

Well Kero, Zelda games have never been juggernauts in terms of commercial reception, rather than critical one. This might be the first evergreen Zelda title since... Ocarina of Time maybe?

That's not true AT ALL, lol. I don't know why *every freakin time* people talk about Nintendo, they try to make it sound like their IPs don't sell well unless it's Mario. It's like this weird notion where people try to bring up statistics to be "objective" but don't understand them. I think people just see sales of Smash Bros, Mario Kart and Animal Crossing and just make judgements based on that. But really Zelda is pretty damn successful, I mean Twilight Princess  was a sales juggernaught, sold as well as Ocarina, and the average sales for Zelda games are 4.5 - 7 million. That's a LOT. It puts Zelda at worst just barely behind stuff like Uncharted, Gears of War and God of War, and at best just above them(if we're talking past gen titles). Breath of the Wild will just be the first Zelda game to get past 7 mill (beyond remasters). Could even beat Uncharted 4 possibly.

The real reason Horizon is keeping up with BOTW has to do with Switch units on the market vs Playstation 4 units on the market, not "Zelda games not being a commercial juggernaught".

Either way, as long as both are successful everyone will be happy.

Last official Zeruda Switch figure from Nintendo was already beaten by Horizon. What makes vgc think that changed now?

Time for big adjustments with the next official numbers.

gentii said:
leo-j said:
Horizon!

2017 its not end? Day after day Zelda sell better than Horizon? All of Sony fans hurts how its possible a 3m  Game Console can beat a  60m Game Console? I have say from the first day thats Zelda can win this battle Easly?? 

Huh? 2017 its not the end? What are you talking about? And where did you get the thought that all of Sony fans are hurt? What are you event alking abiut man? And why did you even quote Leo to say that? Like what does any of you said have to do withw hat he said? You are confusing me lol.

OT: Are you sure BOTW is the #1 selling game of the year so far? I don't think that is accurate.....But none the less BOTW deserves EVERY sale that it gets the game just looks amazing!

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

Best selling Zelda game of all times?