By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild rises to #1 selling game this year

Valdney said:
I have to laugh at people who think that a 3D Mario game will outsell a real Zelda game. Hahahahahahahahahaha. It will never happen!!!!

Not sure I'm reading your post right because 3D Mario has always outsold Zelda...

Mario 64 - 11.89m vs Ocarina - 7.6m
Sunshine - 6.31m vs Wind Waker - 4.6m
Galaxy 1 - 11.36m vs Twilight Princess - 8.75m
Galaxy2 - 7.55m, 3D World - 4.74m - vs Skyward Sword - 3.95m

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
Horizon is no doubt still the #1 sku for the year including digital. And it's retail sales have been huge lately with its $40 price point.

Zelda really should be beating it in the end but if Horizon replaces uncharted 4 as the standard ps4 slim/pro bundle this holiday and into next year it can hang with it in the long run.

Crazy to think a game by guerilla is challenging a pillar of gaming culture like Zelda.

You need to remember that the Switch is still heavily supply contrained, and thus it is holding back Zelda sales potential.And adding the Wii U version, Zelda has sold more than 4 million physical.

As for bundling with a console, Zelda can be said the same, and I personally suspect thats going to happen next year.

As I said before, both games are doing incredible, but Zelda is simply doing better.But in the end, we should simply celebrate two ambitious projects bearing fruits.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Valdney said:
I have to laugh at people who think that a 3D Mario game will outsell a real Zelda game. Hahahahahahahahahaha. It will never happen!!!!

...it's already happened several times.

guiduc said:
Kerotan said:
Horizon is no doubt still the #1 sku for the year including digital. And it's retail sales have been huge lately with its $40 price point.

Zelda really should be beating it in the end but if Horizon replaces uncharted 4 as the standard ps4 slim/pro bundle this holiday and into next year it can hang with it in the long run.

Crazy to think a game by guerilla is challenging a pillar of gaming culture like Zelda.

Well Kero, Zelda games have never been juggernauts in terms of commercial reception, rather than critical one. This might be the first evergreen Zelda title since... Ocarina of Time maybe?

Twillight Princess sol better I think, getting close to 9 millions

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

Valdney said:

It will definitely happen

Around the Network
Nautilus said:
guiduc said:

Well Kero, Zelda games have never been juggernauts in terms of commercial reception, rather than critical one. This might be the first evergreen Zelda title since... Ocarina of Time maybe?

Twillight Princess sol better I think, getting close to 9 millions

Yeah, I'm including Twilight too. But there's been quite a handful of games before BotW.

bananaking21 said:
It's fantastic when people use unofficial and inaccurate numbers to drive a point even though official numbers are readily available.

Ghost recon and For Honor say hi.

I get that VGC numbers arent that accurate, but they do give a general idea of how it is doing.Pressing that button non stop about "Dont use VGC numbers because they are not 100% accurate" when you are on VGC is tiring.

Unless you have actuall official worldwide numbers for the games displayed here, there is no need to push this narrative.

Just out of curiosity:Where are the official numbers for For Honor and Ghost Recon worldwide?Dont remember seeing them

When I said Zelda would beat Horizon in sales, I was mocked.

AlfredoTurkey said:
When I said Zelda would beat Horizon in sales, I was mocked.

I've always believed in you, though.

Kerotan said:

When you add digital+Wii U+Switch... Horzon is not winning. Sorry.