By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Could Apple or Nintendo make VR mainstream?

Jranation said:
Lenny93 said:

Yes, it's 3 times as popular as the Samsung watch apparently.

I guess it can have a similar effect towards the samsung gear. 

Not to mention they announced they are the number one watch maker in the world, they just surpassed Rolex under 2 years. So yeah, they made it more mainstream. And I bet they will dive deeper soon, as there are rumors that their new Watch will measure glucose.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Around the Network
Lafiel said:
potato_hamster said:

...yeah... because what VR really needs is Candy Crush VR. That's totally what I was talking about.

Apple is definitely interested in the continued success of game apps on their platform, so I think it makes sense for them to have a presence in all upcoming game-related techs that could drive revenue in the future

I don't think you're understanding me... the games that are successful on iOS are not games that lend themselves to a compelling vr experience. Pokemon Go, Candy Crush, Angry Birds etc. in VR are not going to give people reasons to purchase an Apple VR headset, much less an iPhone.

This is why apple couldn't care less about VR, because they couldn't care less about the games that offer a compelling VR experience, because those games don't run on smart phones. There's lot of "game-related technology" that exists, like say light guns, or bluetooth game pads, or dual touchpad controllers that wouldn't ever make Apple their investment back if they chose to develop these technologies. VR is one of these techologies.

Make sense?

LipeJJ said:
Jranation said:

Not to mention they announced they are the number one watch maker in the world, they just surpassed Rolex under 2 years. So yeah, they made it more mainstream. And I bet they will dive deeper soon, as there are rumors that their new Watch will measure glucose.

Oh fuck. That is huge! 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

LipeJJ said:
Jranation said:

So if Rolex was number 1 and they are known pricey watch then you know the market for watches has shrunk. Who the fuck wears watches anymore? Not many people.

Jumpin said:
SvennoJ said:

I very much disagree with you. Especially since I wear glasses, and also a helmet while riding long distances. It's not that bad :p

Yet what other ways do you envision? The http://www.broomx.com/mk-player360.php to turn your room into a VR cave? Which has been tried before too and will be a lot more expensive. Or perhaps https://uploadvr.com/red-hydrogen-one-smartphone-holographic/ which is neat to have holograms floating above your phone. It's nothing like VR inside a headset though.

It's already way way beyond what it was in the 90's in terms of popularity and acceptance. VR is going to stick around this time and grow.

Try riding with a VR helmet on instead :P

I think something more along the lines of this:

Essentially, a direct interface between brain and software; where the user controls the motor skills of the virtual character, rather than their own body. We already do this in dreams, except the reality is a construct of our brains.

This sort of concept has been explored in videogames (Xenosaga and Shadowrun), as well as TV shows/movies (Star Trek, the Matrix, Stargate).

I was more looking for something during my lifetime :) Mind control is still very much in its infancy, and requires a headset... Projecting signals into your brain hasn't even been attempted yet (I don't count electroshock therapy :p)

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:
LipeJJ said:

So if Rolex was number 1 and they are known pricey watch then you know the market for watches has shrunk. Who the fuck wears watches anymore? Not many people.

They were no.1 exactly due to what you said: expensive watches, that generates a lot of revenue. That's what no.1 means btw. While I agree with you that the market definitely shunk and people used watches much more in the past, I disagree that it's niche like you imply: I still see lots of people wearing old watches... most of the time for fashion purposes. The interesting thing about smarthwatches is that they are so connected with our phones/gadgets that they make our lives easier, that's their selling point, and that's why they are biggening the watch market.

OT: No, I don't think neither will atempt making a VR. And Apple will most likely just keep supporting VR on their devices, like iMacs.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Jranation said:
Eh........ did they made the smart watches any bigger?

With only one product it took them 18 months to become the largest vendor of wareable electronics on the planet.

potato_hamster said:
Jumpin said:

Try riding with a VR helmet on instead :P

I think something more along the lines of this:

Essentially, a direct interface between brain and software; where the user controls the motor skills of the virtual character, rather than their own body. We already do this in dreams, except the reality is a construct of our brains.

This sort of concept has been explored in videogames (Xenosaga and Shadowrun), as well as TV shows/movies (Star Trek, the Matrix, Stargate).

"How do we make VR more mainstream?"

"Have it interface directly with your brain, obviously"

yeah.... this is totally what VR really needs to catch on world wide. That'll definitely be cheaper to develop and manufacture than a headset. For sure.

There's this little thing called technological advancement. Believe it or not, but it's happening at all times!

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
potato_hamster said:

"How do we make VR more mainstream?"

"Have it interface directly with your brain, obviously"

yeah.... this is totally what VR really needs to catch on world wide. That'll definitely be cheaper to develop and manufacture than a headset. For sure.

There's this little thing called technological advancement. Believe it or not, but it's happening at all times!

I know. It's in my job description. It's literally what I do every single day.

You're still talking about technology that is decades away from becoming feasbile for consumer use at the earilest, much less as cost effective as a headest so that it can be priced competitively. Just look at how extremely primitive such technology is for the control of bionic limbs that cost tens of thousands of dollars to produce, and that just uses the impulses of shoulder muscles, not brain signals. This type of thing might be ready for the actual PS9, but in time before this current fad of VR fades.

VR will gain massive ground when things like Grand Theft Auto, Call of Duty, Madden, and such go VR exclusive. Apple making VR productivity/Development software, and Nintendo making its IP VR exclusive will help move the needle as well.

VR going mainstream is just a matter of the tech advancing to the point where no one gets motion sick, and the price dropping to the point where everyone can afford it.

The unlimited scope of VR will ensure its eventual success. If your thing is multiplayer, VR will take that to incredible new levels, unisolating the online gamer from the world around them. If you love getting completely lost in a single player expereince, VR has the ability to completely isolate you from the outside world. If you enjoy playing with family and friends, VR/AR will eventually allow you all to transport yourselves to whatever expereince you would like, whether you are all in the same room, or a million miles away.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL