By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Could Apple or Nintendo make VR mainstream?

potato_hamster said:

Again... with those third person games, the enhancements you're discussing are very subtle and aren't going to make a meaningful difference to the average gamer. Pretty much every console gamer on this planet would rather save the cost of a VR headset than "miss out" on those enhancements. They just won't give a shit enough to go out and plunk down for one. They'll say "that's neat, but not $200 neat", and move on. Let's be honest, the vast majority of the appeal of VR is for first person games, this is obvious. If you're going to show off to a friend how great of an experience VR can be, and truly wow them, Lost Bear isn't going to make them go out and buy one. That's why it's similar to the racing wheel, because it's expensive technology, really only appeals to one type of game, and is really only adopted by hardcore enthuiasts. VR is niche, and always will be. Gaming on a TV/monitor will always be cheaper and close enough for the vast majority of gamers

Yes, Surround Sound doesn't do anything for 2D games. Thank fuck this is 2017 and 1987, and 99% of games are no longer 2D.  Besides, what does that even matter? I don't think anyone has gone to the store looking at speakers for their home theater and thought "This'll make all of my movies, tv shows, and pretty much all of my games more immersive, but it won't enhance LittleBigPlanet, so that's a hard pass for me". Besides, surround sound still meangingfully enhances far more games than VR ever will, will likely always be more expensive than surround sound, and still most gamers couldn't give enough of a shit about the enhanced experience surround sound makes to actually go out and buy a surround sound system, and they won't be bothered to go by a VR solution either. That's my point.

We'll see. Shooters are still the most popular, COD or GTA online in VR could persuade many people. Perhaps VR can give an advantage too in Fifa and Madden, better overview of the field, greater awareness what's happening, easier to select players through headtracking. The only thing holding it back is the low resolution for text. Menu screens are a bottleneck. Then again, gamers are most resistant to change, so adoption rate will be low for a while!

One corerction: VR is a lot cheaper than dedicated surround, and a lot easier to setup. Unless you go really cheap, which you can do with VR as well.

Perhaps standalone headsets can persuade more people. No need for a tv nor console, play anywhere. Maybe in a few years those will be good enough to get popular games.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
potato_hamster said:

Again... with those third person games, the enhancements you're discussing are very subtle and aren't going to make a meaningful difference to the average gamer. Pretty much every console gamer on this planet would rather save the cost of a VR headset than "miss out" on those enhancements. They just won't give a shit enough to go out and plunk down for one. They'll say "that's neat, but not $200 neat", and move on. Let's be honest, the vast majority of the appeal of VR is for first person games, this is obvious. If you're going to show off to a friend how great of an experience VR can be, and truly wow them, Lost Bear isn't going to make them go out and buy one. That's why it's similar to the racing wheel, because it's expensive technology, really only appeals to one type of game, and is really only adopted by hardcore enthuiasts. VR is niche, and always will be. Gaming on a TV/monitor will always be cheaper and close enough for the vast majority of gamers

Yes, Surround Sound doesn't do anything for 2D games. Thank fuck this is 2017 and 1987, and 99% of games are no longer 2D.  Besides, what does that even matter? I don't think anyone has gone to the store looking at speakers for their home theater and thought "This'll make all of my movies, tv shows, and pretty much all of my games more immersive, but it won't enhance LittleBigPlanet, so that's a hard pass for me". Besides, surround sound still meangingfully enhances far more games than VR ever will, will likely always be more expensive than surround sound, and still most gamers couldn't give enough of a shit about the enhanced experience surround sound makes to actually go out and buy a surround sound system, and they won't be bothered to go by a VR solution either. That's my point.

We'll see. Shooters are still the most popular, COD or GTA online in VR could persuade many people. Perhaps VR can give an advantage too in Fifa and Madden, better overview of the field, greater awareness what's happening, easier to select players through headtracking. The only thing holding it back is the low resolution for text. Menu screens are a bottleneck. Then again, gamers are most resistant to change, so adoption rate will be low for a while!

One corerction: VR is a lot cheaper than dedicated surround, and a lot easier to setup. Unless you go really cheap, which you can do with VR as well.

Perhaps standalone headsets can persuade more people. No need for a tv nor console, play anywhere. Maybe in a few years those will be good enough to get popular games.

Wait, how is VR Cheaper than surround sound? You can get quality 5.1 surround systems for $150-$200. I got a Logitech Z5500 surround sound system for $200 years ago, and prices have only gotten better. You can even get wireless systems for less than price of a PS VR. It's just as likely we'll see technological advancements that will make speaker technology more affordable as we will to make VR more affordable. And easier to set up? Since when is speaker wire complicated? Home theatre systems are literally plug and play just like VR systems, and there's no calibrating required like there is with VR.

You can already use PS VR without a TV after the inital set up. Besides, I don't see how that's going to make VR more popular. What is the likelihood someone who is interested in VR doesn't own a TV or a monitor with an HDMI input?

potato_hamster said:

Wait, how is VR Cheaper than surround sound? You can get quality 5.1 surround systems for $150-$200. I got a Logitech Z5500 surround sound system for $200 years ago, and prices have only gotten better. You can even get wireless systems for less than price of a PS VR. It's just as likely we'll see technological advancements that will make speaker technology more affordable as we will to make VR more affordable. And easier to set up? Since when is speaker wire complicated? Home theatre systems are literally plug and play just like VR systems, and there's no calibrating required like there is with VR.

You can already use PS VR without a TV after the inital set up. Besides, I don't see how that's going to make VR more popular. What is the likelihood someone who is interested in VR doesn't own a TV or a monitor with an HDMI input?

You can get google cardboard for your phone too, doesn't mean you get cinema quality. A good surround sound system starts with an amp that sets you back more than a psvr headset. I probably spend more than $200 on speaker wire alone. (That set is $400 anyway) However I hardly get to use it at its intended full dynamic home theater range nowadays. With kids I can't have cinema level sound at night to feel that subwoofer work while getting goosebumps from the high level detail. I can use VR every night :)
Surround sound didn't start as plug and play, still isn't for high quality systems. And they do need calibration and be set up correctly for the best effect. With VR we already have the same range from cardboard to htc vive.

As for why VR would be more popular standalone? It seems one of the complaints is being tethered. Plus a tv is usually a shared item. Or you could simply go sit somewhere quiet instead of in the middle of the livingroom with a wire running to a console under the tv. Or your could sit together with 2 headsets linked up without needing to drag another console and tv over. Bring couch co-op back to those online only coop games.

Apple could help it become mainstream. But, there is no evidence that they're going to do so.

PotentHerbs said:
sethnintendo said:

That is fucking hilarious. Thanks for the laugh.

Lmfao, which part Ninty stan? 

Edit: Ah, the mainstream console part, that is an actual fact. How many Nintendo consoles have sold over 100 Million? The Wii, which pails in comparison to PS1/ PS2 sales, and will be left behind when compared to PS4 lifetime sales. PS3 was the lowest selling PS platform and has outsold 95% of Ninty consoles! Nintendo might have existed before Sony, and influenced them to get into the console market, but that doesn't mean they expanded the market like Sony did. Even now Sony dominates, expanding into new markets, every gen. You might have a point with handhelds, but again, Apple/ Samsung took away that market from Nintendo lmao. Can't say the same about Sony's console market grip.

Hasn't Nintendo sold more dedicated home and hand held consoles than Sony?

Around the Network

Well Nintendo maybe can done it, they have different approach than other companies on market, they usualy aiming mass market with hardware that has affordable price point.

SvennoJ said:
potato_hamster said:

You can get google cardboard for your phone too, doesn't mean you get cinema quality. A good surround sound system starts with an amp that sets you back more than a psvr headset. I probably spend more than $200 on speaker wire alone. (That set is $400 anyway) However I hardly get to use it at its intended full dynamic home theater range nowadays. With kids I can't have cinema level sound at night to feel that subwoofer work while getting goosebumps from the high level detail. I can use VR every night :)
Surround sound didn't start as plug and play, still isn't for high quality systems. And they do need calibration and be set up correctly for the best effect. With VR we already have the same range from cardboard to htc vive.

As for why VR would be more popular standalone? It seems one of the complaints is being tethered. Plus a tv is usually a shared item. Or you could simply go sit somewhere quiet instead of in the middle of the livingroom with a wire running to a console under the tv. Or your could sit together with 2 headsets linked up without needing to drag another console and tv over. Bring couch co-op back to those online only coop games.

We're talking about how VR could be become mainstream and you're comparing it to audiophile level surround sound set ups that the vast majority of the people that even bother with surround sound would never even consider such an option. And now you're arguing that surround sound has less utility because surround sound is apparently only useful when you have it cranked to 11 (horse shit), and because since Surround Sound solutions have been out so long, they used to be complicated to set up, even though ones created in the two decades are pretty much all plug and play? Are you intentionally being this obtuse?

Let me put it in your terms. Instead of talking about a PS4+ PSVR combo, which is the cheapest, bare minimum, most widely accepted VR solution ever, instead we're going to talk about the optimal VR experience.So now, for this argument,  VR costs at least $4000 because the optimal experience (highest frame rate possible) involves two GTX 1080 Tis, and an HTC Vive, and a Backpack PC case that runs off of battery power. Ohh wait, we can't forget that platform that allows you to run in place, and all of those extra specailized controllers that make those specific games that much better. There's another $1500-$2000 . How could I possibly forget that racing wheel, and full motion force feedback chair/chassis for that epic racing experience? There's another $5000 easy.  And the best part? To get that truly immersive sound experience, guess what I need? A surround sound system! Looks like all of those knocks against surround sound you just came up with now suddenly apply to VR too! And let's remember that I can't play VR while my kids are around because they might trip on the cords and break something. Are you getting my point?

Maybe we should stick to what the average consumer is likely going to to pick up at Best Buy, like I was doing this whole time. It's not an audiophile surround sound system with $200 worth of speaker wire, and it's not a PC with $1400 in graphics cards, is it?

Now for the standalone bit. You're right, standalone might be more appealing, if it wasn't going to be significantly more expensive than anything tethered is going to be. Sony doesn't require a PS4 to use the PSVR for fun, it actually does the vast majority of the required processing for the unit. Take that away, and now you need to build that processing power into something about the same size as a 3DS since you'd have to be wearing it, plus some means of powering the equipment, including the external light sources/cameras that are used for tracking. If you haven't guessed, none of this is ever going to ever be comparable in price to a PSVR style solution. I thought we were talking about how VR can/can't become mainstream, not how to make VR appeal to more niches of people. All you're doing is imagining more VR solutions that you want to experience, but considering you're a hardcore early adopter, and is about as niche as you can get for this type of thing, what you want doesn't matter. You need to put yourself in the shoes of the type of person that goes into a gamestop and asks the clerk for advice for which console to get between a playstation and an xbox, and needs to be told about all of the different models. He doesn't own a 4K TV, and he probably doesn't own a Surround Sound system. Like it or not, that's your average gamer, and that's who VR has to appeal to, and they are not going to pay a significant premium to have a solution that doesn't require a TV, or allows them to pair with another VR unit in the same room.

potato_hamster said:

We're talking about how VR could be become mainstream and you're comparing it to audiophile level surround sound set ups that the vast majority of the people that even bother with surround sound would never even consider such an option. And now you're arguing that surround sound has less utility because surround sound is apparently only useful when you have it cranked to 11 (horse shit), and because since Surround Sound solutions have been out so long, they used to be complicated to set up, even though ones created in the two decades are pretty much all plug and play? Are you intentionally being this obtuse?

Let me put it in your terms. Instead of talking about a PS4+ PSVR combo, which is the cheapest, bare minimum, most widely accepted VR solution ever, instead we're going to talk about the optimal VR experience.So now, for this argument,  VR costs at least $4000 because the optimal experience (highest frame rate possible) involves two GTX 1080 Tis, and an HTC Vive, and a Backpack PC case that runs off of battery power. Ohh wait, we can't forget that platform that allows you to run in place, and all of those extra specailized controllers that make those specific games that much better. There's another $1500-$2000 . How could I possibly forget that racing wheel, and full motion force feedback chair/chassis for that epic racing experience? There's another $5000 easy.  And the best part? To get that truly immersive sound experience, guess what I need? A surround sound system! Looks like all of those knocks against surround sound you just came up with now suddenly apply to VR too! And let's remember that I can't play VR while my kids are around because they might trip on the cords and break something. Are you getting my point?

Maybe we should stick to what the average consumer is likely going to to pick up at Best Buy, like I was doing this whole time. It's not an audiophile surround sound system with $200 worth of speaker wire, and it's not a PC with $1400 in graphics cards, is it?

Now for the standalone bit. You're right, standalone might be more appealing, if it wasn't going to be significantly more expensive than anything tethered is going to be. Sony doesn't require a PS4 to use the PSVR for fun, it actually does the vast majority of the required processing for the unit. Take that away, and now you need to build that processing power into something about the same size as a 3DS since you'd have to be wearing it, plus some means of powering the equipment, including the external light sources/cameras that are used for tracking. If you haven't guessed, none of this is ever going to ever be comparable in price to a PSVR style solution. I thought we were talking about how VR can/can't become mainstream, not how to make VR appeal to more niches of people. All you're doing is imagining more VR solutions that you want to experience, but considering you're a hardcore early adopter, and is about as niche as you can get for this type of thing, what you want doesn't matter. You need to put yourself in the shoes of the type of person that goes into a gamestop and asks the clerk for advice for which console to get between a playstation and an xbox, and needs to be told about all of the different models. He doesn't own a 4K TV, and he probably doesn't own a Surround Sound system. Like it or not, that's your average gamer, and that's who VR has to appeal to, and they are not going to pay a significant premium to have a solution that doesn't require a TV, or allows them to pair with another VR unit in the same room.

You're doing the same dismissing $200 standalone solutions (coming next year) as not good enough. Netflix and mobile games already have proven the masses don't care about high end graphics or audiophile surround. PSVR combo is not the bear minimum, Google daydream is. So if we're talking about mass adoption then yes the $200 OR standalone next year and Google Daydream 2.0 platform are relevant. Just as a $200 surround sound solution is relevant.

But true, for the average gamer PSVR is too expensive. They'll buy the base model for use on a normal tv and won't consider expensive peripherals at all. Next gen needs to have a cheap bundle with the headset.

SvennoJ said:
potato_hamster said:

You're doing the same dismissing $200 standalone solutions (coming next year) as not good enough. Netflix and mobile games already have proven the masses don't care about high end graphics or audiophile surround. PSVR combo is not the bear minimum, Google daydream is. So if we're talking about mass adoption then yes the $200 OR standalone next year and Google Daydream 2.0 platform are relevant. Just as a $200 surround sound solution is relevant.

But true, for the average gamer PSVR is too expensive. They'll buy the base model for use on a normal tv and won't consider expensive peripherals at all. Next gen needs to have a cheap bundle with the headset.

What $200 headset? You mean the rumors that Occulus Rift is going to make a $200 headset? There was rumors Sony was going to announce a PSP3 at E3 as well. I'll believe it when I see it. And considering this unit is supposedly stand alone, I wouldn't hold my breath that it won't quickly give the average person a massive headache due to the poor resoluton  and framerate. See that's the thing about cheap VR experiences, they literally make people sick.

If you want to call jamming your cellphone in a box you strap to your head like the Google Daydream as something that will lead to mass adoption, then why are we seeing Samsung literally giving Gear VR away with Galaxy phones instead of charging people for them?

https://www.gottabemobile.com/how-to-claim-free-gear-vr-with-galaxy-s8-pre-order/

Ohh that's right, because the average user doesn't give a shit about that quality of the Gear VR experience enough to pay for it. I know a bunch of people that recieved free Gear VRs, but I don't know anyone that has used it more than once if they even bothered taking it out of the box.  There's always at least a few dozen of these new and unopened up on the local classifieds as people try to get money out of these free devices they couldn't even bother trying. These cellphone headsets are not the bare minimum, and if they are, then it's confirmed that VR will never see mass adoption.

potato_hamster said:

What $200 headset? You mean the rumors that Occulus Rift is going to make a $200 headset? There was rumors Sony was going to announce a PSP3 at E3 as well. I'll believe it when I see it. And considering this unit is supposedly stand alone, I wouldn't hold my breath that it won't quickly give the average person a massive headache due to the poor resoluton  and framerate. See that's the thing about cheap VR experiences, they literally make people sick.

If you want to call jamming your cellphone in a box you strap to your head like the Google Daydream as something that will lead to mass adoption, then why are we seeing Samsung literally giving Gear VR away with Galaxy phones instead of charging people for them?

https://www.gottabemobile.com/how-to-claim-free-gear-vr-with-galaxy-s8-pre-order/

Ohh that's right, because the average user doesn't give a shit about that quality of the Gear VR experience enough to pay for it. I know a bunch of people that recieved free Gear VRs, but I don't know anyone that has used it more than once if they even bothered taking it out of the box.  There's always at least a few dozen of these new and unopened up on the local classifieds as people try to get money out of these free devices they couldn't even bother trying. These cellphone headsets are not the bare minimum, and if they are, then it's confirmed that VR will never see mass adoption.

Poor resolution isn't the source of headaches though. High resolution and good graphics aren't needed for mass adoption either, see Wii Sports. Poor framerate, lag, high persistance cause a crappy experience. Cellphones are indeed not great candidates for VR. Perhaps they'll get better. I have more faith in OR delivering a suitable gen 2 product. It probably won't appeal to me as Wii Sports didn't either, yet with the right software it could become popular. As long as frame rate, lag and low persistance are priorities.

That's why I think Nintendo is the position of creating another Wii like phenomenon with VR. The Switch is capable enough, especially a smaller, lighter VR ready revision that runs at docked speed all the time. Bundled with a simple headset and a clever Mario game with different elements and ways to play, it could be a success.

Cellphone VR is indeed at the bottom. Like a virtual surround sound mode build into a cheap tv. Without positional headtracking you already miss most of what VR has to offer and I'm guessing it's mostly 360 videos that are offered through that? The worst VR has to offer. (It's not vr at all) Actually looking at some reviews, bigger FOV and 3D is basically all you get, plus you need a controller to play the games. I agree, that's not ready for mass adoption and hurts VR more than it helps. Hopefully inside out tracking will be a success, that will lower the entry requirements considerably. Stable positional headtracking is key to a good VR experience.

Anyway, imo high processing power and/or 4K are not required to make VR mainstream. A killer app is, with affordable hardware that delivers a comfortable easy to use experience. Nintendo is in a position to do that. Yet are they willing to take that risk again.