By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Could Apple or Nintendo make VR mainstream?

Lawlight said:
Nintendo made motion gaming mainstream? Do you see anyone still using motion gaming? But no, Apple cannot make VR mainstream. It is too isolating of an experience.

What would be the difference?

Around the Network
KBG29 said:
Lawlight said:
Nintendo made motion gaming mainstream? Do you see anyone still using motion gaming? But no, Apple cannot make VR mainstream. It is too isolating of an experience.

I don't get where this idea that VR is isolating comes from. 10's of millions of people sit alone in a room playing mulyiplayer games with a headset on, with no connection to the people they are playing with. In VR the connection to the people you are experiencing it with in multiplayer is greatly increased. As the tech gets better, it will literally be as if you present in the same space talking, and interacting with other people online.

This. I never felt comfortable to talk to random people online. Star trek Bridge crew got me interacting with people without feeling weird about since I can see them moving and looking around. Big difference to have an avatar to go with the voice instead of talking into thin air.

Actuallyin reguards to gimmics... they only really work if its pack in or a cheap add on. Thats why psvr, kinect, and move failed while the DS and wii suceeded.
Ninty said they were 'looking into' VR. If the next console is a hybrid like the switch but runs 1440p undocked 4k docked it could bring VR mainstream at around 400$ at most. Hell the switch itself is already lighter than pre existing VR headsets anyway.

Remember the switch has EVERYTHING needed for VR... motion controlers and a screen. Just the screen needs to be at least 1440p.

KBG29 said:
Lawlight said:

I don't get where this idea that VR is isolating comes from. 10's of millions of people sit alone in a room playing mulyiplayer games with a headset on, with no connection to the people they are playing with. In VR the connection to the people you are experiencing it with in multiplayer is greatly increased. As the tech gets better, it will literally be as if you present in the same space talking, and interacting with other people online.

When you're playing at home, you can still talk and interact with the other people in your household. Not so with VR. I think that's why most people don't even talk in multiplayer.

TheBraveGallade said:

Actuallyin reguards to gimmics... they only really work if its pack in or a cheap add on. Thats why psvr, kinect, and move failed while the DS and wii suceeded.
Ninty said they were 'looking into' VR. If the next console is a hybrid like the switch but runs 1440p undocked 4k docked it could bring VR mainstream at around 400$ at most. Hell the switch itself is already lighter than pre existing VR headsets anyway.

Remember the switch has EVERYTHING needed for VR... motion controlers and a screen. Just the screen needs to be at least 1440p.

Everything except power, which increase the size and cost of the device.

Around the Network

I doubt that VR makes mainsteam ever due to motion sickness issue. I have PSVR and played most of the titles, and all of the games in which the characternis moving will cause motion sickness. The most suitable game types are where the character is not moving but can turn the head around, like the Batman VR game. Car games are great until you come to a turn or a hill, because the sense virtual reality for vision is conflicting with the other senses. I mean when you are cornering you expext to feel centrifugal forces in your body. At least for me it is istant ill feeling. Farpoint is awsome for for shooting, and if you move very slowly, it is bearable, but as soon as there is fast action moving, it is ill again.

Lawlight said:
KBG29 said:

When you're playing at home, you can still talk and interact with the other people in your household. Not so with VR. I think that's why most people don't even talk in multiplayer.

Having spent countless hours playing VR with friends, I can assure you it is very easy to interact with people while in VR. Sure, if you want to completely loose yourself in it, you can put on headphones and lock yourself in a room alone. At times that is a great feeling. On other occasions, you can play without headphones, while friends or family are on the couch yelling instructions, or taking jabs at your mistakes. 

VR is not a singular experience. There is basically no limit to how isolated you can get, or how connected you can get with those around you, or even more so, with those also in VR.

As SvennoJ showed, many people now days are interacting with others via their smartphone, which offers almost zero emotional or physical connectivity. So in many ways, VR would actually bring people closer.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

konkari said:

I doubt that VR makes mainsteam ever due to motion sickness issue. I have PSVR and played most of the titles, and all of the games in which the characternis moving will cause motion sickness. The most suitable game types are where the character is not moving but can turn the head around, like the Batman VR game. Car games are great until you come to a turn or a hill, because the sense virtual reality for vision is conflicting with the other senses. I mean when you are cornering you expext to feel centrifugal forces in your body. At least for me it is istant ill feeling. Farpoint is awsome for for shooting, and if you move very slowly, it is bearable, but as soon as there is fast action moving, it is ill again.

I wonder what percentage of people get that motion sickness. Personally I only had it briefly in the beginning with a few titles yet don't experience it at all anymore. I can zoom through Cavernous wastes 6, dof shooter, at full speed without feeling any ill effects or getting disoriented. Farpoint, RE7, running speed could still be faster for me. Windlands lets you get upto a nice pace (which was one of the titles that initially made me feel ill, yet the 2nd time I was running through without any problems) I finally got to rush of blood from my back log and I do feel the motion, there's just nothing wrong with it. (Great game btw. I usually don't like on rail shooters, with dual move controllers in VR it's a whole new game)

I've been playing in VR every night since release though, except for a near 2 month break while playing BotW and HZD. After the long break just a little unease for the first couple minutes then back to normal. I've always been fond of playing on projector screens, the bigger the better, and liked to sit at the front in the cinema.

The only numers I can find is a marketing study
89% of purchasers indicated they were Satisfied or Very Satisfied
http://magid.com/2017/03/majority-of-vr-device-purchasers-very-satisfied-and-say-product-performance-exceeds-expectations/
Would you say you're still satisfied despite the motion sickness, or are those 89% the lucky ones that don't have that problem?

Are there ways you feel the effect less? I got it more when I was looking in a different direction than I was going, which still feels a bit weird. For example leaning out the side of the mine cart in Rush of blood trying to spot a skittle while it's turning the other way on a fast section. Does always looking where you're going help?
Since you expect to feel forces that aren't there, I doubt higher refresh rates and resolution are going to help :/ Do you get the same feeling when sitting too close to the screen? Can you stomach IMAX dome first person race/flying scenes? (dunno if you've ever been there, that definately gives you the sense of moving without moving) Just curious if this is a solveable problem or if there's such a thing as too immersive for part of the population.
Perhaps a dumb suggestion, have you tried it without the 3D effect, ie one eye closed? I wonder if that makes any difference to motion sickness. (In Farpoint, half the time I have one eye closed anyway for aiming along the sights)

VR will never be mainstream. The sooner the industry accepts that, the better. Don't get me wrong, I personally love VR and own three headsets (Gear VR + Oculus Rift + PS VR) but that doesn't say anyhting about the mass market. I showed VR to a whole lot of people and from what I have experienced, most folks don't even want to use it regurlarly. They are fine with testing it every now and then for special experiences but they simply have zero desire whatsoever to have such a device in their own homes. Price doesn't even matter. For them it's like a visit in the cinema or riding a rollercoaster. Fun times every few months, but just no reason to buy a headset for themselves.

The industry needs to focus on the niche. Instead of flooding the market with boring and dull tech-demos that try so hard to get people to buy a VR headset, the makers of VR should focus on finally bringing software to the table that entertains for more than 15 minutes. Develop real games with real gameplay. With the right software, the market should be able to grow slowly but healthy. Just forget about mass market. It won't happen.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

VR is moribund, neither Apple nor Nintendo can save it at this point. It basically is headed the same way as 3D TV (without ever reaching the same levels as 3D TV), basically too many hardware and software problems still to be solved before it can be made mainstream viable.