By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rumor: Xbox 4 in Development. Not a New Generation?

Trade Up Program please

Around the Network
freebs2 said:
Turkish said:

Many a people will eat salt once Microsoft brings out games that won't be supported on their 2013 hardware. The Xbonex already brings Xbone games to 4k so what novelty would Xbox 4 add to that.

What the hell are you talking about? No one is reducing product lifecycles, PS4 Slim makes up 80% of total PS4 sales, and only 40% of Pro users(20% of total sales) are upgrading from their PS4s. So if you can do 1+1 no way in hell is this about selling more stuff to the same people.

Lmao at "an alarming sign of the console market decline", 7 million PS4s sold in the first 5 months of this year deserves praise, I dunno whether you live on our timeline or just  a very pessimistic person.

Not denying PS4 is doing great, the problem is its great sales are coming at the expense of Xbox market shares. Xbox One is not even 4 years old but its sales are yet comparable to 3DS, an old tired system that is about to be replaced.

Of course Xbox One X is going be sold to current Xbox One user and likely even to PS4 current users. Since Xbox One X is a more expansive product for enthusiasts, it's very unlikey its prospect users haven't yet upgraded to current-gen consoles by now. It's nominally an mid-gen upgrade, in practice is more like a cross compatible next-gen console.

How so? It's not up to Sony to sell Xbones, and 360 got sales at the expense of PS3 as well. MS didn't put out an attractive product in the market, it didn't sell, simple as that. PS4 is selling on its own strengths, the Xbox brand is terribly weak outside English speaking nations, it never would be a threat. The PS4 is gonna sell 100 million and more,  I dunno how much bigger the market needs to be. Games sell, profits are at an all time high, there's only so many households in the Western world where consoles can be put in.

caffeinade said:
Turkish said:

Many a people will eat salt once Microsoft brings out games that won't be supported on their 2013 hardware. The Xbonex already brings Xbone games to 4k so what novelty would Xbox 4 add to that.

What the hell are you talking about? No one is reducing product lifecycles, PS4 Slim makes up 80% of total PS4 sales, and only 40% of Pro users(20% of total sales) are upgrading from their PS4s. So if you can do 1+1 no way in hell is this about selling more stuff to the same people.

Lmao at "an alarming sign of the console market decline", 7 million PS4s sold in the first 5 months of this year deserves praise, I dunno whether you live on our timeline or just  a very pessimistic person.

Yes, this industry should produce 100 million dollar AAA games on 12 month cycles because WOW a new cpu came out with some extra megahertz!

Generations just mean a cut off point to leave the shackles of ancient hardware behind. The concept of generations never died, not even on mobiles, you have games and apps that are not supported on older hardware.

Generations also created a place where the shackles of hardware dig in to the flesh of game design and visuals, where developers are forced to leave out parts of their games because it would not work on ten year old hardware.
If they want to keep doing generations, keep them to a max of 3 - 4 years.

I dont think you really understand what generations mean, to you it's just a buzzword not fully comprehending what it truly means. Devs need hardware to target for multiple years, they can't do that every year, games take more than 1 year to create, it's as simple as that really.

Turkish said:
freebs2 said:

Not denying PS4 is doing great, the problem is its great sales are coming at the expense of Xbox market shares. Xbox One is not even 4 years old but its sales are yet comparable to 3DS, an old tired system that is about to be replaced.

Of course Xbox One X is going be sold to current Xbox One user and likely even to PS4 current users. Since Xbox One X is a more expansive product for enthusiasts, it's very unlikey its prospect users haven't yet upgraded to current-gen consoles by now. It's nominally an mid-gen upgrade, in practice is more like a cross compatible next-gen console.

How so? It's not up to Sony to sell Xbones, and 360 got sales at the expense of PS3 as well. MS didn't put out an attractive product in the market, it didn't sell, simple as that. PS4 is selling on its own strengths, the Xbox brand is terribly weak outside English speaking nations, it never would be a threat. The PS4 is gonna sell 100 million and more,  I dunno how much bigger the market needs to be. Games sell, profits are at an all time high, there's only so many households in the Western world where consoles can be put in.

If consider the console market, you'll consider all manifacturers, right?

During last generation hardware sales were split between two manifacturers (counting out Nintendo for simplicity) , this time you have a clear winner whose taking the biggest slice of the pie. So of course when you'll see things by the winner's side everything looks great but if you'll look at the whole picture it's not very favorable. For this gen to match the previous one (already excluding handhelds and 100+ million consoles sales form Nintendo) you're betting that current Xbox One models are going to sell still about 10 million and PS4 is going to double its total sales in the next 2 to 3 years.

Hiku said:

The next Xbox has probably been in development since Xbox One released. That's how Sony said they do things with Playstation, and it's likely what Microsoft and Nintendo do as well.

As for what will happen to the generations that'll be interesting to see. I hope Xbox 4 and PS5 are fully backwards compatible with the previous generation.

yeah we all know... whats the point? that nintendo and sony do the same? so its cool ok,..... but here was the news that the next xbox is complete designed!

so please speculate about the new xbox or shut up!

Warned ~ CGI

Xbox 4 wont be a new generation but a super powered X1X carrying its library over. Just like a PC.
My opinion.

Around the Network

You know what'd really shake things up?

Xbox Surface

All your Xbox One games, in a portable form factor with some basic PC apps (Office, Video editor).

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

"Change Resilient games"

that sounds like MS for sure

can't imagine the next console having games that also run on the base X1 though, and when that happens that pretty much signals a generation change whether you want to call it that or not

jason1637 said:
iNathan said:
It will still be like a new generation, new CPUs and technology advancement will allow to make incredible games which would be impossible on this generation.

Not necessary. I'm interested to see if MS takes the PC approach when they support Xbox 4 and Xbox One X at the same time for a few years. 

Not happening with that CPU imo it's not helping the industry at all on physics etc. 

freebs2 said:
Ljink96 said:

Yup. Generations are over technology and innovations are moving too fast for any companies to decide to stay on track with each other.

Technology is not moving faster than it did on previous generations.

The fact console makers are reducing product lifecycles is an alarming sign of the console market decline, since it signals manifacturers are not bringing in more customers but they're sustaining the business by selling more stuff to the same people.

lol ok. Technology always moves fast. To even insinuate that it isn't is just pure ignorance of the advancements made each generation. Of all the entertainment mediums games have evolved faster than them all and will continue to. Generations are just going to be done very soon. It's played out, Sony, MS, and Nintendo aren't trying to prove something to eachother with "blast processing", every company has access to the newest technology and can make the same console if they wanted to. That wasn't the case with the 8bit or even 16 bit era where everything was so custom (the ppus, sound chips, processors, etc.) most companies chose to develop for one console or the other.

It'll just be so stale if generations continue and Sony/MS/Nintendo are always looking at eachother and releasing consoles in response to other conosles. That just isn't wise in such a fast moving field. Back then when there was so little competition, that was fine it was only Nintendo vs. Nintendo for a while and then Nintendo vs. Sega, then here Came Sony and during those eras technology was still progressing quickly but each company still had their own way of developing consoles. People still don't want to acknowledge that the 9th "Gen" has already started with Nintendo Switch so how are we going to get everyone to continue to agree on generations? I'll even go as far as to say that in about 50 years or so, consoles won't exist as we know them. They'll be one device with modular upgrades like PCs that stream games to it and Physical media will take a back seat if it even exists at all. That's my prediction but everyone can make their own.

Stamping a "Gen" on something won't be something we do in the future, the playing field will be so much different.

I don't know if I really agree with the idea that getting rid of Generations is a good thing. On the one hand as a PC gamer mostly, I like to move forward. But these consoles could be total rips and the idea that they're just Xbox One X, but better! ; is quite frankly a terrible idea. It will most likely effect gaming libraries and innovation for consoles in a really negative way, while also helping PC gamers get better ports.