By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rumor: Xbox 4 in Development. Not a New Generation?

fleischr said:

You know what'd really shake things up?

Xbox Surface

All your Xbox One games, in a portable form factor with some basic PC apps (Office, Video editor).

Microsoft were considering making a portable Xbox in 2014 but it got canned.

iNathan said:
jason1637 said:

Not necessary. I'm interested to see if MS takes the PC approach when they support Xbox 4 and Xbox One X at the same time for a few years. 

Not happening with that CPU imo it's not helping the industry at all on physics etc. 

For many games on PC minimum CPU you can have an I3 and still run the game. So it's not impossible for MS to do the same thing. Its worked on PC for years now.

Around the Network

I love how everyone just goes along with their PR. There are still generations, but they don't want you to call them that. The next Xbox will be their next generation console with full BC.

freebs2 said:
Turkish said:

How so? It's not up to Sony to sell Xbones, and 360 got sales at the expense of PS3 as well. MS didn't put out an attractive product in the market, it didn't sell, simple as that. PS4 is selling on its own strengths, the Xbox brand is terribly weak outside English speaking nations, it never would be a threat. The PS4 is gonna sell 100 million and more,  I dunno how much bigger the market needs to be. Games sell, profits are at an all time high, there's only so many households in the Western world where consoles can be put in.

If consider the console market, you'll consider all manifacturers, right?

During last generation hardware sales were split between two manifacturers (counting out Nintendo for simplicity) , this time you have a clear winner whose taking the biggest slice of the pie. So of course when you'll see things by the winner's side everything looks great but if you'll look at the whole picture it's not very favorable. For this gen to match the previous one (already excluding handhelds and 100+ million consoles sales form Nintendo) you're betting that current Xbox One models are going to sell still about 10 million and PS4 is going to double its total sales in the next 2 to 3 years.

They were only split because 360 took half of PS2s sales, and this gen the split will be like +100-110M vs +5-60M, still the same pie. It's very favorable all things considered. Also it's not only about hardware sold anymore, read my last post, there's only so many households to put consoles in. That's why Sony has such global reach, putting consoles in emerging markets to expand the industry.

And again, if Xbone sold more, it wouldn't take away PS4 sales, the Xbone is still selling well maxing sales in America and UK, it's tracking great against 360. PS4+Xbone are up YoY against PS360 every year thus far on NPD so your narrative that PS4 is taking all the sales of the same pie is not true. The totals this gen are higher than last gen.

If you're gonna doom and gloom at least do some research, honestly what are you expecting sales wise?  The console market is not dying, stop being stuck in 2011 and move on, enjoy games.

jason1637 said:
fleischr said:

Xbox Surface

All your Xbox One games, in a portable form factor with some basic PC apps (Office, Video editor).

iNathan said:

Not happening with that CPU imo it's not helping the industry at all on physics etc. 

For many games on PC minimum CPU you can have an I3 and still run the game. So it's not impossible for MS to do the same thing. Its worked on PC for years now.

It will not help the industry imo and Sony will make games with Ps5 in mind without limitations, if Microsoft supports X they will be left behind even more in the graphical department against Sony juggernaut studios. 

Ljink96 said:
caffeinade said:
Generations, Stay Dead!
Tech moves at an alarming rate, it is time this industry did too.

Yup. Generations are over technology and innovations are moving too fast for any companies to decide to stay on track with each other.

Except that Sony said they still believe in generations.

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
Ljink96 said:

Yup. Generations are over technology and innovations are moving too fast for any companies to decide to stay on track with each other.

Except that Sony said they still believe in generations.

Okay, that's nice. Let's see how well that holds up.

CGI-Quality said:
Ljink96 said:

Okay, that's nice. Let's see how well that holds up.

Sony flat out said it's not happening for them and we've heard nothing from Nintendo. So there's currently no strong reason to believe anything else. It's what Microsoft said that will be the thing to watch if it can sustain itself.

I understand that much... I'm not necessarily saying this next generation is going to be the end, I'm saying that with the way technology is headed, there's no benefit of hardware generations.

CGI-Quality said:
Ljink96 said:

I understand that much... I'm not necessarily saying this next generation is going to be the end, I'm saying that with the way technology is headed, there's no benefit of hardware generations.

Eh, until I see an alternative that actually beats down what's worked for 30+ years, I have no desire to see anything change.

We'll see

Ljink96 said:

lol ok. Technology always moves fast. To even insinuate that it isn't is just pure ignorance of the advancements made each generation. Of all the entertainment mediums games have evolved faster than them all and will continue to. Generations are just going to be done very soon. It's played out, Sony, MS, and Nintendo aren't trying to prove something to eachother with "blast processing", every company has access to the newest technology and can make the same console if they wanted to. That wasn't the case with the 8bit or even 16 bit era where everything was so custom (the ppus, sound chips, processors, etc.) most companies chose to develop for one console or the other.

It'll just be so stale if generations continue and Sony/MS/Nintendo are always looking at eachother and releasing consoles in response to other conosles. That just isn't wise in such a fast moving field. Back then when there was so little competition, that was fine it was only Nintendo vs. Nintendo for a while and then Nintendo vs. Sega, then here Came Sony and during those eras technology was still progressing quickly but each company still had their own way of developing consoles. People still don't want to acknowledge that the 9th "Gen" has already started with Nintendo Switch so how are we going to get everyone to continue to agree on generations? I'll even go as far as to say that in about 50 years or so, consoles won't exist as we know them. They'll be one device with modular upgrades like PCs that stream games to it and Physical media will take a back seat if it even exists at all. That's my prediction but everyone can make their own.

Stamping a "Gen" on something won't be something we do in the future, the playing field will be so much different.

I don't know about that. There's only so much we can do to improve upon digital technology and that day is coming sooner than you think or anyone else for that matter ...

We can only go so far with silicon and I predict in less than decade we'll reach a point where progression in transistor technology will stagnate for long periods. You're right that there will be no more generations but not for the reasons you imagine but because we'll have reached peak transistor density for a long time frame therefore we can't make integrated circuits anymore cost efficient than they already are at that point. The next generation will most likely be the last one for a while until we can figure out ways to make smaller and more cost efficient integrated circuits ...

The playing field will be different alright and it probably won't be the way you see it either ... (I think we're going to be worse off cause of the way industries take transistor technology for granted.) 

What is Nintendo going to do in the post-Silicon era ? More importantly what is everyone else going to do ? (Apple, Samsung, Microsoft, Sony, etc) 

jason1637 said:
fleischr said:

Xbox Surface

iNathan said:

Is that a good thing? Imagine games not being held back by console cpu's or tools based on what consoles can do. Instead of having tiny play areas in From dust, you could have a Witcher 3 sized world with those kind of terrain physics. Games have become very unbalanced leaning on the gpu while doing nothing impressive with AI and physics for interactivity. A good cpu could do crackdown 3 type destruction without needing the cloud.

I certainly hope that gameplay won't be held back by old Jaguar cores when the next generation arrives.