By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - DigitalFoundry: Splatoon 2 Switch Analysis: Resolution, Wii U Improvements And More!

LipeJJ said:
I'm happy to see them recognizing the fact that Splatoon 2 not only got a resolution bump, but also a major visual overhaul. Shadows, lighting, objects, character models, textures, etc. everything looks considerably better than then first game.

Totally agree, people thought that resolution bump is only difference compared to previous Splatoon, but shadows, lighting, objects, character models, textures etc are also improved.

Around the Network

A decent boost in quality over the first game then.

This is why I said I would wait for DF's analysis when 1080p was "confirmed" at the Treehouse. It just seemed too tall an order for a game with such a wildly fluctuating rendering load to maintain both 1080p and 60fps no matter how busy things get.

Not that I'm criticizing mind you; I actually think Nintendo made the right call here. A dynamic resolution is the logical compromise, and given the results so far, a well judged one. For a fast paced shooter framerate is paramount.

It will be interesting to see how multiplayer holds up given it's more chaotic. Perhaps the dynamic res will drop lower there to ensure that 60fps is never compromised even when 8 players converge and fill the screen with splattering ink.

Interesting to see AA used in the 30fps hub. At least it shows they remember it exists! XD

Is good to see, I would have been fine with 720p, but being locked at 60fps is great

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

curl-6 said:

This is why I said I would wait for DF's analysis when 1080p was "confirmed" at the Treehouse. It just seemed too tall an order for a game with such a wildly fluctuating rendering load to maintain both 1080p and 60fps no matter how busy things get.

Not that I'm criticizing mind you; I actually think Nintendo made the right call here. A dynamic resolution is the logical compromise, and given the results so far, a well judged one. For a fast paced shooter framerate is paramount.

It will be interesting to see how multiplayer holds up given it's more chaotic. Perhaps the dynamic res will drop lower there to ensure that 60fps is never compromised even when 8 players converge and fill the screen with splattering ink.

Interesting to see AA used in the 30fps hub. At least it shows they remember it exists! XD

O they know it exist, but like Eurogamer wrote, its all about priorities performance with Nintendo, probably they could run Splatoon 2 at locked 1080p/30fps with AA if they wanted and like Eurogamer wrote. In any case its big upgrade over Splatoon 1 on Wii U.

Also like Eurogamer wrote, I expecting that Mario Odyssey will also have dynamic resolution.

Just for record, I don't arguing with you, this just normal conversation. :)

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
curl-6 said:

O they know it exist, but like Eurogamer wrote, its all about priorities performance with Nintendo, probably they could run Splatoon 2 at locked 1080p/30fps with AA if they wanted and like Eurogamer wrote. In any case its big upgrade over Splatoon 1 on Wii U.

Also like Eurogamer wrote, I expecting that Mario Odyssey will also have dynamic resolution.

Just for record, I don't arguing with you, this just normal conversation. :)

They know it exists, but they don't use it enough in my opinion, it is a standard in modern video games, and Nintendo should meet this standard. There's really no good reason for a game releasing on hardware of PS3/360 calibre or better not to have AA.

And yeah Mario Odyssey will also likely use dynamic res; free-roaming games with a more variable rendering load will likely adopt this method while games with a more controllable load (like ARMS, and likely also Kirby, Yoshi, etc) will still use a fixed resolution.

Need to see performance of multiplayer footage ...

Shikamo said:

Docked: native 1080p (but sometimes drop to 936p or 1536x864)

1536x864 is not 936P, It is 864P as it's a 16:9 progressive resolution. So it's not "or".

936P would be: 1664x936.

Clearly they prioritised framerate over resolution, which is the right priority for a game like this... But it would have still been nice to have it locked at 720P/1080P. It's just not realistically possible with such restricted hardware capabilities.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Needs more online split screen.

Pemalite said:
Shikamo said:

Docked: native 1080p (but sometimes drop to 936p or 1536x864)

1536x864 is not 936P, It is 864P as it's a 16:9 progressive resolution. So it's not "or".

936P would be: 1664x936.

Clearly they prioritised framerate over resolution, which is the right priority for a game like this... But it would have still been nice to have it locked at 720P/1080P. It's just not realistically possible with such restricted hardware capabilities.

I think you got it wrong, I meant that the resolution has drops to 936p or to 1536x864 :P, i'll adjust To avoid confusion again.

(=^・ω・^=) Kuroneko S2 - Ore no Imouto - SteamMyAnimeList and Twitter - PSN: Gustavo_Valim - Switch FC: 6390-8693-0129 (=^・ω・^=)