By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - DigitalFoundry: Splatoon 2 Switch Analysis: Resolution, Wii U Improvements And More!

stevechan said:
Miyamotoo said:

No, they never said always, they said resolution goes from 864p, 936p to 1080p.

Switch has 720p screen so any resolution above wouldn't make sense, they said that resolution in portable mode goes from 648p to 720p, basically same like Zelda BotW in handheld mode.

Kindly check the video again, on 02:20, John mentioned that :" during gameplay in docked mode for instance this game spent a lot of time in 864P which is just shy of 900P".

So I assume that this tells everything?

A lot is not same like as always, and we don't know how much exactly is that "a lot" for John (10%, 20%, 30%....of time). In article they wrote:

"During docked gameplay, we noted a wide range of resolutions, peaking at 1080p in less busy scenes and dropping to 864p - the lowest native pixel-count we picked up on. However, the reality is that resolution is adjusting on a near constant basis to maintain the target frame-rate."

In other words, dynamic resolution is changing constantly, from 864p to 1080p, including 936p.

Around the Network
Barkley said:
Miyamotoo said:

I definitely expecting that new Zelda be native 1080p like over 95% of Nintendo Switch games.

Still, resolution isn't everything, glad it runs at 60fps. My only issue with the Switch is the amount you have to pay for the power, not the power itself.

Oh you just had to, didn't you?

I'll send you over 200$ so I don't have to see you complaining again. Deal?

How do they measure the resolution?

Miyamotoo said:
stevechan said:

Kindly check the video again, on 02:20, John mentioned that :" during gameplay in docked mode for instance this game spent a lot of time in 864P which is just shy of 900P".

So I assume that this tells everything?

A lot is not same like as always, and we don't know how much exactly is that "a lot". In article they wrote:

"During docked gameplay, we noted a wide range of resolutions, peaking at 1080p in less busy scenes and dropping to 864p - the lowest native pixel-count we picked up on. However, the reality is that resolution is adjusting on a near constant basis to maintain the target frame-rate."

In other words, dynamic resolution is changing constantly, from 864p to to 1080P

Hmm...So drops alot /= always,

Then again, OP sounds like trying to convince the others that, this game always stay at 1080P, just drop to 864P in some very minor scenes.

And theoretically, when someone says "alot", it won't be 10, 20, or 30%, it'll be most likely more than 70% and above, just like the call of duty black ops 3 on Xbox one.

jonathanalis said:
How do they measure the resolution?

Pixel counting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ra-P3gH7Dg

While you are there framerate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVg19CbkXR4

Around the Network
stevechan said:
Miyamotoo said:

A lot is not same like as always, and we don't know how much exactly is that "a lot". In article they wrote:

In other words, dynamic resolution is changing constantly, from 864p to to 1080P

Hmm...So drops alot /= always,

Then again, OP sounds like trying to convince the others that, this game always stay at 1080P, just drop to 864P in some very minor scenes.

And theoretically, when someone says "alot", it won't be 10, 20, or 30%, it'll be most likely more than 70% and above, just like the call of duty black ops 3 on Xbox one.

Alot and always have totally different meanings, especially if you have 3 resolutions, 864p, 934p and 1080p.

Theoretically for someone point that running at 30% of all time at lowest resolution easily could be a lot.

They said in article that resolution is "that resolution is adjusting on a near constant basis", if game "always" running at 864p they certainly wouldn't said that.

Nuvendil said:
curl-6 said:

Monolith used AA in XCX on Wii U, so it would stand to reason they would continue to do so on stronger hardware. Same for Tokyo EAD with Odyssey for that matter, actually. For either game to not use it on Switch would be a technical downgrade from their Wii U efforts, which would just be bizarre.

The closest reference point to XB2 that we have on Switch at the moment is Breath of the Wild, a similarly massive open world title, which is 900p. 

Well from what I have seen in videos so far, XC2 does seem to be using the same AA solution.  That is, the crap one that even DF marked as almost more detriment than benefit as it messed with image quality while barely helping with jaggies at all.  Hopefully they can make it better before release as there are several other technical upgrades to the engine on display.

Mario Odyssey might forego AA due to the much higher polygonal complexity and higher quality texture work of the levels eating up more resources.  Hard to say.

One thing they could try is varying AA levels dynamically, similarly to dynamic resolution.  In fact, that may be their new strategy.  Splatoon does that already, to a limitted extent.

I don't recall DF criticising the AA used in XCX.

Miyamotoo said:
curl-6 said:

Monolith used AA in XCX on Wii U, so it would stand to reason they would continue to do so on stronger hardware. Same for Tokyo EAD with Odyssey for that matter, actually. For either game to not use it on Switch would be a technical downgrade from their Wii U efforts, which would just be bizarre.

The closest reference point to XB2 that we have on Switch at the moment is Breath of the Wild, a similarly massive open world title, which is 900p. 

SM3DW also have some kind of AA few other Wii U games, same could be expeted for some Switch game, for instance seems that Arms also have some kind of AA. But for much more demanding games they usually don't use it, MK8D, Zelda BotW and Splatoon 2 are latest examples.

Yes, but at end Zelda BotW was port from Wii U and was made on first place with Wii U hardware on mind, Xenoblade 2 will be made with Switch hardware on mind. I wouldn't take Zelda BotW as example of Switch possibilities.

Botw is still the best frame of reference we have for XB2 thus far, simply because there aren't any other complex open world games on the system yet.

So far on Switch, Nintendo have wisely chosen to be flexible in regards to resolution, such as using 900p in ARMS splitscreen and dropping to 864p in Splatoon to ensure a locked 60fps. This is a better approach in my opinion than chasing 1080p at any cost.

guiduc said:
Barkley said:

Still, resolution isn't everything, glad it runs at 60fps. My only issue with the Switch is the amount you have to pay for the power, not the power itself.

I've made many posts over the past weeks, yet you only take note of the ones where I'm "complaining". It's not even a harsh criticism, there'd be other users on this site that'd just say "Switch is last-gen, no power, failure."

My comment is literally "Switch is fine, just too expensive for me at the moment.". If that post annoys you, you need to cool off.

Barkley said:
guiduc said:

I've made many posts over the past weeks, yet you only take note of the ones where I'm "complaining". It's not even a harsh criticism, there'd be other users on this site that'd just say "Switch is last-gen, no power, failure."

My comment is literally "Switch is fine, just too expensive for me at the moment.". If that post annoys you, you need to cool off.

It's quite litteraly one of your many posts I saw you complaining about the price. And it would have been fine if it was exactly worded as above, making it about you. But instead, it was like this:

My only issue with the Switch is the amount you have to pay for the power, not the power itself.

Which suggests that you think the thing is not fair priced for what it offers. If it wasn't your point then... it's better to reword it in making it a personal opinion like you just did "Switch is fine, just too expensive for me at the moment."

Rule #9

Similarly, even if it's well defended, repeating your opinion multiple times is also spamming. Make your point and move on to your next idea or point.

guiduc said:
Barkley said:

It's quite litteraly one of your many posts I saw you complaining about the price. And it would have been fine if it was exactly worded as above, making it about you. But instead, it was like this:

My only issue with the Switch is the amount you have to pay for the power, not the power itself.

Which suggests that you think the thing is not fair priced for what it offers. If it wasn't your point then... it's better to reword it in making it a personal opinion like you just did "Switch is fine, just too expensive for me at the moment."

Rule #9

Similarly, even if it's well defended, repeating your opinion multiple times is also spamming. Make your point and move on to your next idea or point.

Repeating the same point over multiple different threads is fine, that's my opinion. If the topic comes up again my opinion will remain the same. You don't complain when someone says "I prefer 60fps over resolution" over multiple threads that are all about performance.

I believe that rule is simply about repeating the same opinion over and over again in the same topic, so no it's not against that rule.

Further my point clearly says "MY issue" it is worded as a personal opinion originally.

And finally the only other recent post I've made about the Switch price is this. Two posts about it, sue me.