By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Some Americans Calling for Death of Woman Who Urinated on Flag

monocle_layton said:
jason1637 said:

It's Muslims.

Also how would you know the same people burning the Koran are the same complaining about the woman burning the flag?

I spelled muslims incorrectly for a reason.

Also, I can't say I definitely know they're the same people. However, many of the people who constantly do shit and yell 'free speech!' are the ones who try to be offensive all the time and think you're triggered when you tell them to shut the fuck up. 

Chances are these people are also only fine with free speech until it attacks a piece of fabric that's close to them. After all, calling for the death of a woman over pissing on a flag isn't a joke. If you're so sensitive over fabric, maybe it's time to grow up.

Generalizations and fingerpointing obviously won't change much; I admit that. However, I think it's fair to point out that the majority of these people flipping out are most likely hypocrites

What's the reason you spelt it incorrectly?

How can you know that many people that yell free speech get so offended by other people that they try to limit the person's free speech because they don't like what they are saying or doing? Isn't that a generalization based on a small group of people that do it? Also why would you make the original post if like you said you can't definitely say that they are the same people that burn the Koran and want the woman to die from pissing on the flag?

Around the Network
jason1637 said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

And it's symbolism is damaged by urine? Has it affected the values of america? Or has all it done is ruin a perfectly fine peice of cloth? 

The second part isn't really an answer that explains anything. 

I've always been under the impression it was the American people that were important not the flag. Soldiers don't fight for the flag they fight for the people, do they not?

It hasn't taken away from its symbolism but I see it as disrespectful to piss on such a symbolic item.

Well yeah the solders fight for the people not the flag but the flag is symbolic for the country they are fighting for. She can piss on the flag all she wants because she has the right to it but I have the right to be upset that she's pissing on a symbol of my country. I'm not going to wish her death or any thing harmful but I won't be happy about it 

I'm not expecting you to be happy don't get me wrong. 

I'm just trying to understand why you're upset as her actions have 0 impact on anything that affects you or your country. If you got upset everytime someone said 'fuck you' to America you would never feel the emotion of happiness ever again. 

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Ya know, the flag's design probably isn't going to look any different if a person she voted was in office. Bottom line, it's all bullcrap.

danasider said:
bigtakilla said:

She obviously dislikes America, I'm trying to help her out.

Haha, I guess if you want to see it that way.

I see it this way. I live in Ohio. Moved here close to 2 years ago and I hate it. Miss good ol' Massachusetts. But even if I complain and personally don't like the state, nobody's going to tell me I have to leave for having my own opinion. I am making a living here and yes, there are perks I get which is why I stay. Doesn't mean I can't criticize or even dislike the state.

You may or may not be half joking, but the idea that people should be kicked out of their country if they do or say anything against it is actually a pervasive one, currently. If I got a nickel for everytime I heard the words "deport 'em" in the last six months...

I think it's dangerous, because if enough people think those kinds of things they are the ones that will put people into power that believe those things. And then we'll move more towards a totalitarian state.

If you hated Ohio enough to piss on the state flag, you should probably leave right. Again, it isn't just a simple expression of disliking the state of America, I live an Ohio too, and there's things I dislike about Ohio (75 south to Ky traffic for work is a starter) but it doesn't make me wanna piss on the Ohio flag.

gatito said:
Isn't it a right to burn a flag in the US? Pissing on it is not that bad.

Yes, first amendment and decided twice by the supreme court.  Death threats or conspiracy to commit murder, on the other hand, is a serious crime.

Around the Network

It isn't just a 'piece of cloth'. She purposely filmed herself desecrating the flag for attention. Now she got attention. She had to know most of it would be negative or she would have pee'd on a t-shirt with a flag on it. No death should happen, just put her in a rowboat off the coast and tell her she isn't welcome here anymore...

Wiibaron said:
It isn't just a 'piece of cloth'. She purposely filmed herself desecrating the flag for attention. Now she got attention. She had to know most of it would be negative or she would have pee'd on a t-shirt with a flag on it. No death should happen, just put her in a rowboat off the coast and tell her she isn't welcome here anymore...

Alternatively, you could just do absolutely nothing and in fact ignore the incident alltogether because its irrelevant. She had the right to do it, she had her reason - however justified, unjustified or plain stupid they may be - and thats all there is to it. 

ArchangelMadzz said:
jason1637 said:

It hasn't taken away from its symbolism but I see it as disrespectful to piss on such a symbolic item.

Well yeah the solders fight for the people not the flag but the flag is symbolic for the country they are fighting for. She can piss on the flag all she wants because she has the right to it but I have the right to be upset that she's pissing on a symbol of my country. I'm not going to wish her death or any thing harmful but I won't be happy about it 

I'm not expecting you to be happy don't get me wrong. 

I'm just trying to understand why you're upset as her actions have 0 impact on anything that affects you or your country. If you got upset everytime someone said 'fuck you' to America you would never feel the emotion of happiness ever again. 

If some one told me "fuck you Jason" it has not affect on my life ot doesn't change who I am but I'd still be upset. If someone said "Fuck your cat" to my cat it doesn't affect my cats life or what happens to my cat but I would still be upset.

bigtakilla said:

If you hated Ohio enough to piss on the state flag, you should probably leave right. Again, it isn't just a simple expression of disliking the state of America, I live an Ohio too, and there's things I dislike about Ohio (75 south to Ky traffic for work is a starter, but it doesn't make me wanna piss on the Ohio flag.

Just because you or I don't get the inclination to piss on a flag in order to show you hate a state or country, doesn't mean others don't. Again, her whole point was to show her freedom of expression (a tenet in our constitution). So even though you have the right to believe she should be deported, she has the right to piss on the flag...as revolting as that act is.

The country, on the other hand, doesn't have the right to carry out a deportation for such an act, because it would be violating its own constitution which was built to preserve basic human freedoms (that includes pissing on flags, much to the disgust of most people including myself).

If you feel that way, that's up to you, but I am personally glad the country can't deport people for such acts, because the act really hurts nobody aside from offending people (which every group does on one occassion or another be it liberal, conservative, black, white, rich, poor). I'm glad people can't get kicked out of the country for being offensive. I'm glad people can actually have a voice. And I am glad people can have these discussions without fear of interference from the state like they might if they lived in China or Russia.

*edited for wrong word usage

jason1637 said:
monocle_layton said:

I spelled muslims incorrectly for a reason.

Also, I can't say I definitely know they're the same people. However, many of the people who constantly do shit and yell 'free speech!' are the ones who try to be offensive all the time and think you're triggered when you tell them to shut the fuck up. 

Chances are these people are also only fine with free speech until it attacks a piece of fabric that's close to them. After all, calling for the death of a woman over pissing on a flag isn't a joke. If you're so sensitive over fabric, maybe it's time to grow up.

Generalizations and fingerpointing obviously won't change much; I admit that. However, I think it's fair to point out that the majority of these people flipping out are most likely hypocrites

What's the reason you spelt it incorrectly?

How can you know that many people that yell free speech get so offended by other people that they try to limit the person's free speech because they don't like what they are saying or doing? Isn't that a generalization based on a small group of people that do it? Also why would you make the original post if like you said you can't definitely say that they are the same people that burn the Koran and want the woman to die from pissing on the flag?

I typically misspell words when I'm imitating someone in a mocking tone.

The minority I'm talking is, well, a minority as you said. Chances are that people who have burned the quran may not be the type to bash this woman. However, the ones who are bashing this woman and wanting her death would probably be okay with her pissing on a qur'an or Syrian flag.

You may ask what difference there is, but thinking it through makes my explanation more clear. Someone who burns the Qur'an may be anything- an ex-muslim, atheist, christian, liberal, conservative, etc. Perhaps they'd be fine with this woman's statement. I honestly don't know.

On the other hand, someone calling for the death of this woman probably is a hardcore patriot that would not say anything had she done this to a Syrian flag or the Qur'an. 

As seen in this thread, some people disagree with this. That's perfectly fine; even I consider her actions a bit insensitive. However, the ones calling for her death are probably ultraconservatives who are more hardcore than anyone else here.

I believe it's fair to assume the ones threatening her are probably extremely violent conservatives who will harass anyone who offends them. After all, this behaviour isn't exclusive to the USA. We've seen this in places around the world. India/Pakistan has a fair share of people mobbed to death over statements which go against Islam (even accusations have killed people). Those threatening this girl and the mob mentality are both extremely dangerous. The only difference however is that the US is a developed country. Seeing this type of behaviour is disappointing.