By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Some Americans Calling for Death of Woman Who Urinated on Flag

SpokenTruth said:
bigtakilla said:

And what was the whole "voice" pissing on the flag gave her, outside of showing she's a pretty shitty person to piss on a symbol which allows her opportunities most other countries don't? 

Including the opportunity to piss on its flag.

"I may not like what you have to say but I will fight to the death for your right to say it."

Are we no longer ^ this nation?

We most certainly are not that nation.  Probably never have been.  Everyone wants to use government to force people to live the way they want.  Its ridiculous.  Shameful, really.  

As for the flag.... it doesn't "allow" anybody anything.  Neither does the state that it represents.  People are inherently free.  The only thing that states do is infringe upon people's rights.  

Around the Network
Azuren said:

And then she pissed all over a piece of cloth that represented that core tenet of our nation, clearly showing she doesn't respect or deserve that freedom. It's kind of like the whole "The only rule is there are no rules (except this rule)" concept. You have the right to disavow and slander whatever you want (except your right to do so).

That said, it should just be a fine. Execution for that is some North Korean level bullshit.

It's not about whether she deserves it or not. Until she breaks the law and punishable under the penal code, she is entitled (I know people hate that word) to these liberties, not because anyone sees fit, but because that is the nature of the civil liberties established by the constitution. She's a US citizen and she is not infringing on anyone's rights, therefore she has the right to that freedom whether someone believes she deserves it or not.

very strange boner rigtht now.

Burn the witch!

Puppyroach said:
And these people who want her dead, I'm guessing mostly men: What would their reaction be if she was a hottie who wore the flag as a sexy bikini? :)

Terrible analogy, if she was wearing a bikini people would just look and probably say she looks nice.

What if she pee'd on a picture of Mohamed?

Around the Network

And they complain liberals forgot about freedom of speech guaranteed by the constitution. Conservatives are just as big of "snowflakes" but they just have different golden cows

(Formerly RCTjunkie)

The woman desecrating the flag makes me sad.

The people threatening her life makes me angry.

Why don't people try to win hearts and minds anymore?

danasider said:
bigtakilla said:

And what was the whole "voice" pissing on the flag gave her, outside of showing she's a pretty shitty person to piss on a symbol which allows her opportunities most other countries don't? 

Well, the post literally was about her saying she has the freedom to express herself however she wants. That's a pretty strong voice, if you ask me. She was extreme in her expression, but she actually captioned the picture with the following:

Freedom (of speech/expression) means that I’m entitled to do and say as I please, EVEN if you don’t like it, so long as I am not physically hurting someone – and no, your precious feelings don’t count, that’s your own problem.

Unfortunately, it's not illegal to be an asshole, lol. By purposefully pissing on a flag, she's essentially saying she has the right to be one, because she has the right to her freedom of expression as a US citizen. She's correct in that statement, and her voice is pretty loud if it's ticked off so many people, thus far.

It is illegal to piss on a flag though.

bigtakilla said:

It is illegal to piss on a flag though.

This is not true.

As far as I have known (and I googled it to double check), you can do anything you want to the American flag. It's disrespectful and distasteful, but it's not illegal. However, if she did that outside she could get in legal trouble for urinating in public and have to register as a sex offender...but she was indoors and she didn't show any lady bits (again, not illegal on the internet anyway).

Edit: included a link a small description

Trump wants it to be illegal to burn flags. However no law has been passed to do so (or protect desecration of flags) since burning (and general desecration of flags) was deemed a constitutional liberty backed by the freedom of speech. Basically what this chick was posting about. So no, it's most definitely not illegal to piss on a flag.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/law-protects-flag-burning-united-states/story?id=43855624

I recall something similar happening to two Italian guys on a trip (I think they were in Thailand) when they got drunk and destroyed two flags of the country in front of a closed shop, little did they know in the country they were in the law against flag contempt was ultra-harsh and they risked like 12 years of prison...