By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Oddworld Creator, Lorne Lanning Exposes Nintendo! & Says Tasteless Stuff About Iwata!

deskpro2k3 said:
Rab said:

He did sugar coat his version facts... 2GB of RAM, No one bought games after Wii Sports.. yeah that sweeeeat sugar 

ok so.. he is 99% right.

You think that's just 1%?, That "1%" affected maybe 50% of what he later said 

Just those two things on their own are the foundation of most of his argument 

The guy layed down some sugar for all to eat

Around the Network
pokoko said:

It's really interesting to watch people revise history and pretend working with Nintendo wasn't a terrible experience until recently.

This is the company that required developers to rent an office space before they could release a game on a Nintendo system. They also would not pay developers at all until their game reached a certain threshold of sales.

Let's just dismiss everything he says, though, and call him "salty".

Let's pretend like this wasn't just for WiiWare and was the policy for all third party games instead of putting things into context.

twintail said:
burninmylight said:

Get a job, hippie.

Thank goodness I have one. Thank goodness.

Then supersize my fries.

Rab said:
deskpro2k3 said:

ok so.. he is 99% right.

You think that's just 1%?, That "1%" affected maybe 50% of what he later said 

Just those two things on their own are the foundation of most of his argument 

The guy layed down some sugar for all to eat

From my point of view he just layed it down bare and naked with no sugar added, and from that a lot of salt is being tossed in here because of it. Nintendo needs to eat up them sodium and start listening to 3rd party devs because negative critizism is a lot more important then nice ones that is sugar coated.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

I think he's being honest of what he thinks of Nintendo and their treatment of 3rd party devs. Whether he's right or wrong, only other 3rd party devs would be able to contradict him on it. His grievances with Nintendo don't sound outlandish or anything. Nintendo should try to listen to 3rd devs' complaints and change some stuff to help bring them back.

Around the Network

To me this has been obvious for quite a while.  One of the main reasons devs are avoiding Nintendo hardware is not because of power, is because Nintendo keeps blocking them from behind the scenes.

Yes, they say with their mouth "oh, we are making this console developers friendly", or "oh, we want 3rd parties on board" but with their actions they do the exact opposite like:

1) A lot of developers were not able to put their hands on a developer kit until the last minute (while Nintendo were working on their own games for almost a year)

2) The few developers that actually got a developer kit early were under strict NDA and were not able to even mention that they were working on a Switch game (while Nintendo was promoting their games left and right for months)

3) Every MS and Sony presentation is FULL of 3rd party games.  They even talk about 3rd party games as much as they do about theirs. Can we really say the same about Nintendo?

4) We can see 3rd party games bundled with X1 and PS4 left and right.  Now, I know there have been some 3rd party games bundled with Nintendo consoles, but is it even close to be the same?

Now, I totally understand that, at the end of the day, THEY ARE COMPETITION, so I do not totally blame Nintendo for doing this, as I would probably (emphasis on the word probably) do the same if I was them.  But I also do not blame the devs for going away, as I'm sure as hell would do the same if I was them.

Being a developer doesn't necessarily mean the guy isn't an idiot. There are a great many developers who know next to nothing about the industry at large and are even stupider than fanboys. People give their opinions too much authority.

We have the evidence right here on this site. Obviously a lot of companies made a lot of money on the Wii given the large number of third party games that passed 1m, and several passing 5m. In the last days of the Wii the Just Dance games were selling around 10 million each. People claiming no one bought anything aside from Wii Sports are as deluded and mentally lacking as people who claim them World is flat and 4000 years old.

Also, Oddworld didn't sell well because it's not that interesting of a game to most people. But that's not to say other games don't sell on Nintendo hardware, in fact, during the past two generations 307 games sold better on Nintendo platforms alone than Oddworld's best selling game on the original PlayStation. The highest selling on a Nintendo platform, the GBA version of Oddworld, is the fifth best selling of the 33 games this guy has done, it sold 60K, I didn't count how many behind that one is in the last two generations; considering more than 120 games on Wii U sold better, I would say it's in the thousands of games on Nintendo platforms that were more successful.

The phrase that's used for gamers who complain about games because they suck can apply to developers who suck as well: git gud"

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Was this interview before or after Iwata died?

'He also claimed that Nintendo stuck with cartridges on Switch to control manufacturing and combat piracy.'

Because carts really helped the DS and 3DS with that right? And obviously optical media would have been an excellent choice for a portable system.....WTF is with this guy?

I am not sure about his take on third parties, Nintendo really seemed to push recent indies pretty well. Now to be fair, they don't do this for all indies or third parties but lets be honest if the game had enough potential in Nintendo's eyes they usually push it decently on their eShop.