By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft is deserving of praise, not criticism, for XBox 1 not having many exclusives

KLAMarine said:
Skeeuk said:
I now have no reason to buy xbox one

PC gaming is better anyways. Use the savings to upgrade your rig.

funny thing is i typed that on the 5th and the 12th was my birthday for which my wife bought me an xbox one s :)

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Around the Network
derpysquirtle64 said:
CartBlanche said:

Let me be clear that hard-core gamers and gamers who love to have the latest console system will buy the X1X, but hard-core gamers are not the bread and butter of console sales, aka the masses. With the economic downturn, when Mary goes to buy baby Jesus his first console this holiday season, she won't care what it looks like on 4K compared to High Def. She'll just care about the bang for buck. So that brings it down to Xbox 1 -slim and PS4 Pro or slim in terms of features and price. Due to Sony having close to 70million gamers by November/December and a wider variety of console exclusives, my money is that Mary is going to buy Jesus a PS4 variant.

PS. I'm not religious, I just picked the names for festivity relevance.

You are definitely right about Sony selling more consoles than MS this holiday season. I didn't even doubt this. I've argued about your 3:1 ratio by mid-2018. Which won't happen at all. Even by the end of this generation, Sony won't be able to outsell Xbox 3:1. Also, you seem to forget that Xbox is doing almost 1:1 in the US, the biggest console market, so they will sell a lot of consoles this holiday season there as well. So, your argument about Mary going to buy baby Jesus his first console works for Xbox as well. At least in US. They've got a huge marketing which will help them a lot.

The US is NO longer the largest console market, Europe is!! If we just look at data from VGC as of June 3rd week, Europe sold 246,000 console units while the US sold only 162,000!! It's not even close. For that week alone PS4 outsold Xbox One 6:1 in Europe. 

So Xbox One will continue to sell in the US, but it won't be enough to offset the sales that will spike in Europe and Japan once the PS4 price drop hits in November-December.

Also the gap in the US between PS4 and Xbox One is 2 million units right now and weekly sales for June are nearly 2:1 in favour of PS4 in a traditional Xbox territory! That should start worrying Xbox followers that Microsoft isn't doing much to change this in their "home territory". Sony don't have that problem in Japan.

Are you sure Sony can't get to 3:1 by mid 2018 to  early 2019? Especially if XbX sales drop off due to low demand for a "luxury" console??

theprof00 said:
Yeah you're right. Microsoft should be praised. I can play all their games on PC now, they saved me having to buy an xbox.
Thanks MS

This...

Skeeuk said:
KLAMarine said:

PC gaming is better anyways. Use the savings to upgrade your rig.

funny thing is i typed that on the 5th and the 12th was my birthday for which my wife bought me an xbox one s :)

Happy birtday! Now that you got one as a gift, you gotta put it to use.

CartBlanche said:
derpysquirtle64 said:

You are definitely right about Sony selling more consoles than MS this holiday season. I didn't even doubt this. I've argued about your 3:1 ratio by mid-2018. Which won't happen at all. Even by the end of this generation, Sony won't be able to outsell Xbox 3:1. Also, you seem to forget that Xbox is doing almost 1:1 in the US, the biggest console market, so they will sell a lot of consoles this holiday season there as well. So, your argument about Mary going to buy baby Jesus his first console works for Xbox as well. At least in US. They've got a huge marketing which will help them a lot.

The US is NO longer the largest console market, Europe is!! If we just look at data from VGC as of June 3rd week, Europe sold 246,000 console units while the US sold only 162,000!! It's not even close. For that week alone PS4 outsold Xbox One 6:1 in Europe. 

So Xbox One will continue to sell in the US, but it won't be enough to offset the sales that will spike in Europe and Japan once the PS4 price drop hits in November-December.

Also the gap in the US between PS4 and Xbox One is 2 million units right now and weekly sales for June are nearly 2:1 in favour of PS4 in a traditional Xbox territory! That should start worrying Xbox followers that Microsoft isn't doing much to change this in their "home territory". Sony don't have that problem in Japan.

Are you sure Sony can't get to 3:1 by mid 2018 to  early 2019? Especially if XbX sales drop off due to low demand for a "luxury" console??

Yes, Sony cant' get 3:1 by mid 2018. The reason is the gap isn't big enough for them to achieve this. Xbox One sold enough units to not make this possible even probably by the end of the generation. And also, of course the holiday season. Xbox never sells great in the first half of the year. They will definitely shrink the gap this holiday season. By mid 2018 they will sell 40m consoles or maybe little bit less. Do you think that Sony will sell 120m PS4s by then. How will they manage to double install base in just a year? Do you really believe it is possible? They need to drop PS4 Slim price to 100$ maybe to achieve this in such short time.

Around the Network

The only people saying that MS deserves praise for this are PC gamers. Anybody that bought an XB1 in 2013 under the assumption that it was needed to play good exclusives got played. It's not good for consumers when a company sells you a product and then turns around to make the product completely unnecessary and worthless.

derpysquirtle64 said:
CartBlanche said:

Yes, Sony cant' get 3:1 by mid 2018. The reason is the gap isn't big enough for them to achieve this. Xbox One sold enough units to not make this possible even probably by the end of the generation. And also, of course the holiday season. Xbox never sells great in the first half of the year. They will definitely shrink the gap this holiday season. By mid 2018 they will sell 40m consoles or maybe little bit less. Do you think that Sony will sell 120m PS4s by then. How will they manage to double install base in just a year? Do you really believe it is possible? They need to drop PS4 Slim price to 100$ maybe to achieve this in such short time.

3:1 on a yearly basis is certainly possible...that's how it's been this last half year and I don't think the XOX is going to change that.

3:1 over all would be impressive but I highly doubt it, like you said not enough time...for that XOX would need to crash completely and PS4 would need to continue selling at a 5:1 rate like recently which again is unlikely.

CartBlanche said:

The whole Play Anywhere idea is just smoke and mirrors. As I mentioned to Phil Spencer on twitter, if Microsoft are truly interested about making their game available to the widest audiences, they would abandon the Windows Store and make ALL the Xbox One games available on Steam ❗❗Steam is magnitudes bigger than Windows Store. So Microsoft are about exclusives. Play Anywhere is a joke attempt at locking gamers into their eco-system.

Agreed....they are kind of stupid not to do it tbh. The only reason not to buy their games for me and many other PC gamers is their stupid Windows store and their bad pricing. They just want to up their Windows Live 2.0...oh sorry XBox Live user numbers.

Errorist76 said:
derpysquirtle64 said:

3:1 on a yearly basis is certainly possible...that's how it's been this last half year and I don't think the XOX is going to change that.

3:1 over all would be impressive but I highly doubt it, like you said not enough time...for that XOX would need to crash completely and PS4 would need to continue selling at a 5:1 rate like recently which again is unlikely.

Even 3:1 on yearly basis is not gonna happen. As you said it's how it's been first half of the year. Every year it was like that in this time frame. MS will end up losing 2:1 this year as they've always been. They will shrink Sony's advantage in the holiday season as always.

Cerebralbore101 said:
The only people saying that MS deserves praise for this are PC gamers. Anybody that bought an XB1 in 2013 under the assumption that it was needed to play good exclusives got played. It's not good for consumers when a company sells you a product and then turns around to make the product completely unnecessary and worthless.

You say that PC gamers are the only one who can praise MS for this but then you describe something that is more about PC gamers primarily who bought Xbox One just for exclusives. So, do PC gamers really praise MS for this?

derpysquirtle64 said:

Cerebralbore101 said:

You say that PC gamers are the only one who can praise MS for this but then you describe something that is more about PC gamers primarily who bought Xbox One just for exclusives. So, do PC gamers really praise MS for this?

Well some people primarily game on PS4, but bought XB1 for exclusives too. But there aren't enough exclusives on XB1 to justify that sort of a purchase. So it isn't just primarily PC gamers that this effects. 

But yeah, PC gamers really do praise MS for this. They want exclusives to go away alltogether, so that they can just get a PC and not have to worry about extra console purchases. For a lot of them, any company that gets in the way of this is evil in their eyes. This is where the aggressive emulation of just released games comes from. It's also where all the port begging comes from. 

When you take a look at this industry as a whole, there's a huge chunk of, critically well recieved, games that just don't come to PC right away. I'm talking about games that either never come to PC, or take five or six years to get an official port. These games make up 40% of all releases garnering a metascore over 80/100. This really annoys people that primarily game on PC, because they just don't want to have to shell out extra money for a console. 

TL/DR: PC gamers want everything to no longer be exlusive so they aren't obligated into buying a console. MS works towards this goal, therefore they deserve praise according to PC gamers.