By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

I think is fair to assume now that Shin Megami Tensei V is either:

-Cancelled

-Warped into an idol game and as such, it will take a couple more years of development

Given the lack of updates at this year's Tokyo Game Show and any Nintendo Direct.

Around the Network
ARamdomGamer said:
I think is fair to assume now that Shin Megami Tensei V is either:

-Cancelled

-Warped into an idol game and as such, it will take a couple more years of development

Given the lack of updates at this year's Tokyo Game Show and any Nintendo Direct.

Really seems to have tumbled down their priority list as they've decided to just milk Persona 5 for every drop they can.

Mar1217 said:
Nuvendil said:

Really seems to have tumbled down their priority list as they've decided to just milk Persona 5 for every drop they can.

I mean, I'd prefer for them to get P5 Royal out of the way before advertising SMT V once again just for the share mind purposes. Wouldn't be good if they tried to advertise the game while what everyone would be talking about is related to P5.

On another note, it's been more than 1 year and half since they actually started going into full production and let's be honest, they don't have the team allocation that Persona got at this point so developpement time will end up slower than the previous SMT games which were on 3DS.

Admitedly, I was confident that we might hear from it at TGS this year but since Atlus is heavily pushing on P5R, that'd just be a bad move to showcase another game in the Megami Tensei franchise right now.

I don't really think that's true, at all. The products aren't competing, one is an exclusive for Switch and another is exclusive to Playstation. They also wouldn't be releasing in a similar time frame, even if we did get more news on SMTV. If anything, they're complementary. Persona is a huge brand now, and tying that back to an exclusive title for a system that is getting a lot of praise and buzz right now isn't going to obscure the title - it's going to enhance it. I think it's misguided to think otherwise. Maybe if they were both releasing around the same time that would be the case, but they aren't. 

Mar1217 said:

I think you might underestimate how much overlap there's between these two franchises. In term of buzzword, were they to release news on both games at the same time, I'd say Persona would overshadow anything related to SMT. It has no matter to do with exclusivity. Heck, it's like you just forget about the huge uproar we got this spring when the supposed P5 port to Switch was supposed to happen. 

The general public even on Switch is more interested to hear anything related to Persona than SMT, that's just fact. This is why they shouldn't overlap any SMT related news before P5R at least goes out.

What? That uproar if anything proves my point .... because Switch fans aren't getting Persona content, and a lot of them either don't have a Playstation 4 or would rather just not play said content on Playstation 4, and the closest thing they're going to get to that authentic experience (outside of a Musou spin-off or a Wii U port frankly no one cares about) is Shin Megami Tensei V. Seriously, I don't know how you looked at that backlash and took it as supporting your argument, because it plays right into mine - that the exclusivity of a big game related to the Persona series would be very desirable to a lot of people who are either not in the Persona ecosystem or who were already prepared to put down a lot of money (probably $50+) just for a port of an old game they've already played on another system. 

Just because Persona is a bigger series doesn't mean news about said franchises should never overlap - that's a bad excuse, especially because Royal isn't even a new game, just a re-release with expanded content. The news cycle wouldn't even be the same because SMTV would have news coming out most likely at least 6 months after Royal's release date, meaning it would get a lot of coverage separate from Persona anyways. It's not like Tokyo Game Show is the be all end all, it would have at least a year to continue marketing. If anything, using the boosted status of Persona while simultaneously not marketing it during the announcement of a completely new Persona game (like say Persona 6) would actually be the best time to detail news.

Mar1217 said:

Which is litteraly what I want them to do, so it doesn't get to share anything with it's little brother. That's the favorable outcome.

Well considering Persona 5 Royal isn't really a new game ... and we're pretty close to the next generation of consoles ... 

Wait any longer and they just might be advertising it right as Persona 6 gets announced  

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
When social media shies away from Daemon x Machina because most of the popular figures don't like centered mech games from Japan, meanwhile ...

Well Marvelous Japan are claiming Youtube channels that cover it, lol

Edit: Also it's not sold out in Amazon U.S. as of September 16th? It's in stock from Amazon themselves. 

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Mar1217 said:
When social media shies away from Daemon x Machina because most of the popular figures don't like centered mech games from Japan, meanwhile ...

Well Marvelous Japan are claiming Youtube channels that cover it, lol

Edit: Also it's not sold out in Amazon U.S. as of September 16th? It's in stock from Amazon themselves. 

Yeah Marvelous are really shooting themselves in the foot by striking any video on DxM, Youtube is free advertising and DxM needs all the help it can get.

Yeah, after the soft reviews and outlets not exactly scrambling to get on the hype train, let's plays and coverage from passionate independent content creators was to be Daemon X Machina's saving grace.  But Marvelous ain't having none of that it seems.

I still don't get how in 2019 companies can be so stupid as to not realize how helpful Youtube coverage can be in raising awareness and word of mouth for a game. 

I forgot about Daemon X Machina, has any opinions on it? Might download it.