By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Well, this confirms me one thing: the Switch 2 is coming 2025. They must be saving the big games for the next system.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

2023-06-21 Nintendo Direct

Pokemon Scarlet and Violet
- The Hidden Treasure of Area Zero
- The Teal Mask - Fall 2023
- The Indigo Disk - Winter 2023
Sonic Superstars
- 4-player Local coop
- Fall 2023
Palia
- Free to Play
- Holiday 2023
Persona 5 Tactica
- November 17th 2023
- Preorders Begin Today
Mythforce
- Roguelike
Splatoon 3
- Splatfest: Vanilla, strawberry, mint Chip
- July something
Detective Pikachu Returns
- October 6th 2023
Super Mario RPG: LEgend of the Seven stars
- 11-17-2023
- PRE ORDERS NOW
Princess Peach game
- No Current details
- Next Year
Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon
- Rerelease on Switch
- Next Year
Batman: Arkham Trilogy
- Three Games, all DLC
- Fall 2023
Gloomhaven
- September 18th 2023
- Pre-Orders Begin Today
Just Dance 2024 Edition
- 40 Tracks +DLC
- Oct 24th 2023
Silent Hope
- October 3rd 2023
Fae Farm
- September 8th 2023
Hot Wheels Unleashed 2 - Turbo Charged
- Oct 19th 2023
Manic Mechanics
- July 13th 2023
Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope
- DLC The Last Spark Hunter
- Later Today
Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince
- December 1st 2023
Pikmin 4
- July 21st 2023
- Demo Available June 28th
Pikmin 1 and 2
- Digital Versions Later Today
Metal Gear Solid Master Collection Vol. 1
- Metal Gear Solid
- Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
- Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
- Metal Gear
- Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
- NES versions plus Snake's Revenge
- Digital Graphic Novels and Sequels
- Strategy Guides
- Digital Soundtrack
- October 24th 2023
- Pre-Orders Begin Today
- First Three games also separate
Vampire Survivors
- Couch Coop
- August 17th 2023
Headbangers Rhythm Royale
- October 31st 2023
Penny's Big Breakaway
- Early 2024
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
- Booster course Pass 5
- Squeaky Clean Sprint
- Petey Piranha
- Wiggler
- Kamek
- Summer 2023
Star Ocean The Second Story R
- Remake
- November 2nd 2023
Warioware Move It
- November 3rd 2023
- Preorders Begin Today
Nintendo live Seattle
- 2023?
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
- Amiibo for Zelda and Ganondorf
- Holiday 2023
Super Mario Bros. Wonder
- Play as Multple Characters
- World Map
- 2D Sidescroller
- Oct 20th 2023

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

That was a pretty solid direct IMO.

Remakes generally don't thrill me but Mario RPG Remake looks good. There's some decent room for improvement in that one (I'd really like the minigames to be more intuitive) and the visual style looks great. The more exciting thing about this is that it gives hope that we'll see an actual sequel at some point. And while I love the Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi series(s) now would be a great time to go back to a more traditional RPG series.

I really do like a good motion controlled game now and then, and loved Wario Ware Smooth Moves. So very excited for the new Wario Ware.

Kind of excited about a 3D Princess Peach game. Who knows if it will be something that will appeal to me, but I do like more laid back experiences now and then. Luigi's Mansion 2 doesn't really excite me. I think the 3D effect actually works well there, so I'd probably rather play that version. A remake of the original would have been better imo.

If they're going to do Metal Gear, kind of wish they'd put Twin Snakes in the collection. Batman collection doesn't do much for me. I recently replayed Arkham City which didn't age quite as well as I remembered (although I think the port was kind of shitty).

The 3D platformer with the Penny girl with the Yoyo seems neat. Digging the fact that 3D platformers are having a mini-renaissance. On the 2D side of it, Sonic Superstars looks pretty cool.

Up to the end it was a decent but not great direct. But, Mario Wonder looked really cool. It looks like they're taking some nods from other platformers like Rayman Legends and Sonic, but also adding a lot of new things. I love the surrealist quality to it. My favorite parts of 2D Mario have always been the wackier levels, and this seems wacky af.

In the Switch's declining years, this is kind of what I would expect their output to be. Some more low key titles and remakes. Would have been nice to get a status update on Prime 4 which is increasingly looking unlikely for Switch, but what can you do. Tears of the Kingdom was definitely the swan song for the Switch, but it's good to see they're not just dropping support cold turkey as they did with the Wii and are providing some decent titles to ease the transition.

Darwinianevolution said:

Well, this confirms me one thing: the Switch 2 is coming 2025. They must be saving the big games for the next system.

Why 25? Based on the output here, I'd say 2024 is more likely.

Excited for Luigi's Mansion 2 remaster. I hope we get Luigi's Mansion 4 in 2025 then and not later.
I think the Switch 2 is going to release in holiday 2024.

Around the Network
Wman1996 said:

Some early predictions
-New DK platformer releasing Holiday 2023. I'm not committing to 2D or 3D, it could be either.
-Metroid Prime 4 details, with a 2024 release window. They may be really coy if it's cross-gen or moved entirely to Switch 2.
-Release dates for the already announced N64 games for the Expansion Pack.
-DLC Updates for Pokemon, Mario Kart, and Splatoon.
-DLC Unveiling for Tears of the Kingdom.
-A reaffirmation that Nintendo is working on the next mainline Mario, but that's all.

Yikes. the only thing I got right was the easiest thing to predict (the DLC we already knew of). 

I liked the Direct, but I am at least slightly disappointed. 

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 156 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Most of it was not my cup of tea, but I liked the Princess Peach game and Super Mario Wonders. Star Ocean 2 Remake looked very nice, too.

Feels like we're never getting another Donkey Kong game. -_-

CaptainExplosion said:

Feels like we're never getting another Donkey Kong game. -_-

No we're not. Move on, please.

This trailer wasn't part of the Direct