By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Phil Harrison: "Switch Has The Opportunity To Reach A Wider Audience"

Admittedly, I've been feeling the same way when it comes to the current gaming market. Compared to gaming before, not much has changed on the PS and Xbox side. Each gen has roughly been an upgraded form of the last generation, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but not a lot in turns of innovation. Meanwhile, Nintendo's been experimenting with different ideas, which I ultimately think will help keep gaming going and improving. The Switch I think definitely has that potential to reach a bigger audience. With how Nintendo functions, I think it's important that Nintendo continues to stick around the gaming space and continue exploring different ideas.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network

They certainly have the opportunity. But instead they just market to Nintendo fans.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Price is still too high. We need a 200$ starter pack, maybe just the mobile handheld or a TV-only box would open the door to a much wider market.

Well, I mean, he's right in a way. Nintendo already tried to get the core gamer market and failed. What else are they gonna do?

They have one real shot each generation and that's to target "non-gamers". That's why Sony and Microsoft are always so happy Nintendo is around. They're ready to grab anyone who wants to go to the next step.

The problem for Nintendo, of course, is that each new generation they will have to partially create a new audience. That was the original purpose for Amiibo, after all (though adult Nintendo fanatics took most of the stock).

jason1637 said:
That's BS.
Nintendos hardware sales have been on a constant decline, while the PS4 will probably sell more than the PS3. Also MS are putting games on the PC which is broadening their brand.

There isnt any reason to act like Wii did not happen, and Switch will definitely sell more than Wii U, so you are very obviously wrong.

Also even Sony executives were talking that its good for gaming market that Nintendo consoles performing good, because bringing new users to gaming industry that later could buy Sony console also.

Around the Network

Opportunity? Perhaps. Whether or not it will remains to be seen, but I have serious doubts about that still. The infamous wider audience are hard to track and please, and impossible to keep for any lengthy period, I don't really consider them a viable long term source of income for any large gaming house. Nintendo would be much better off chasing profits and consumers in this segment through smartphone games and apps instead, much lower risk, much higher profit margins and a vastly bigger installed base as a bonus.

This thread should be a good one to come back to.

"Nintendo sales are in decline."

Ah, gold.

The BuShA owns all!

Miyamotoo said:
jason1637 said:
That's BS.
Nintendos hardware sales have been on a constant decline, while the PS4 will probably sell more than the PS3. Also MS are putting games on the PC which is broadening their brand.

There isnt any reason to act like Wii did not happen, and Switch will definitely sell more than Wii U, so you are very obviously wrong.

Also even Sony executives were talking that its good for gaming market that Nintendo consoles performing good, because bringing new users to gaming industry that later could buy Sony console also.

Ofcourse Nintendo's good for business. Nintendo basically sells tricycles and training wheels, which are a good step before people get their big boy console which will be a Playstation.

This thread is going exactly the way I thought it would be.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Miyamotoo said:
jason1637 said:
That's BS.

I know Switch will sell more than the Wii U but will it be able to sell more than the 3DS+WiiU is what I'm wondering.