By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Phil Harrison: "Switch Has The Opportunity To Reach A Wider Audience"

sethnintendo said:
tinfamous12 said:
Well Microsoft had that at first. Kinect was aimed at broadening the reach of gaming and it worked until gamers (and Microsoft) killed Kinect.

They had it but I'd leave the word first out. First maybe in their approach to motion gaming but Sony and Microsoft were more followers into motion gaming due to the unexpected success of the Wii.

Eye Toy says hi ! (and others before it without the same success)

Nintendo hasn't even released the first motion controller (Le Stick on Atari 2600) but we can say they democratized it

Around the Network
Lauster said:
sethnintendo said:

They had it but I'd leave the word first out. First maybe in their approach to motion gaming but Sony and Microsoft were more followers into motion gaming due to the unexpected success of the Wii.

Nintendo hasn't even released the first motion controller (Le Stick on Atari 2600) but we can say they democratized it

Yea there were more before it but it didn't blow up till the Wiimote.  Remember this thing that was on the Sega Genesis?  It wasn't very good and was probably on par with someone trying to use a power glove...

Will this guy just shut up. It's so damned obvious what he's doing, and I really hope Nintendo realizes it's in their best interests to just ignore him. This dude is trouble, plain and simple.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

sethnintendo said:
Lauster said:

Yea there were more before it but it didn't blow up till the Wiimote.  Remember this thing that was on the Sega Genesis?  It wasn't very good and was probably on par with someone trying to use a power glove...

Yes, I had this thing on Sega Genesis in mind for the "without the same success" part :)  Somebody remember it !

And the Dreameye before Eye Toy

In short, all this to say that Sony was not a follower in the motion gaming, but Nintendo has been more successful and brought a lot more people in this trend.

However, I think the Switch won't reiterate this infatuation, but maybe (and I hope) Nintendo keeps surprises.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
jason1637 said:
That's BS.
Nintendos hardware sales have been on a constant decline, while the PS4 will probably sell more than the PS3. Also MS are putting games on the PC which is broadening their brand.

PS4 will most probably outsell the PS3... but I doubt that PS4&Xbox ONE will outsell PS360. He's also right when he says that both cater to the exact same audiences that their predecessors do - the only broadening is the addition of VR now.

There is no constant decline, Wii sold better than it's predecessors and no, I don't accept the excuse that it's an "anomaly". The Wii U failed because it was a huge mess. Very poorly marketed and executed, with a gamepad that looked extremly clunky (it's imo much less clunky than it looks, though) and came at a bad time, trying to imitate the success of the Wii when it was clear that those people moved on to other devices, mostly smartphones, some to other consoles. But even with the bad timing, if it was marketed and executed better, it could have outsold the Gamecube and probably the N64. And by the look of it, the Switch will easely outsellthe Wii U, possibly even this year alone if the stock problems gets resolved or easened, so no decline here either.

And yeah, Nintendo is always trying to bring some new things to the table, which can possibly attract a wider audience. It worked out fabulously on the Wii, failed miserably on the Wii U and seems to do well again with the Switch.

Ofcourse it's an anomoly. SNES sold less than NES. N64 sold less than SNES. Gamecube sold less than N64. Wii U sold less than Gamecube.

Wii is the oly outlier, barring that Nintendo's home consoles have steadily declined with every new generation, and the people who bought the Wii did not stick around post that one console, and Nintendo consoles are back to following their trajectory. 

Switch is in a weird spot as it's trying to attract Nintendo's handheld audience as well, so it might do better than Wii U but we have to see if it being priced higher than the average Nintedno handheld will hold people back from it. 

Around the Network

Sony and Nintendo are the Apple/Samsung of gaming. Their brands are recognized as high quality and superior to all.

The Switch has managed to bring casuals into gaming outside of their mobile devices, thus broadening the market. Sony is taking advantage of brand power and previous success to keep growing