By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Phil Harrison: "Switch Has The Opportunity To Reach A Wider Audience"

jason1637 said:
That's BS.
Nintendos hardware sales have been on a constant decline, while the PS4 will probably sell more than the PS3. Also MS are putting games on the PC which is broadening their brand.

PS4 will most probably outsell the PS3... but I doubt that PS4&Xbox ONE will outsell PS360. He's also right when he says that both cater to the exact same audiences that their predecessors do - the only broadening is the addition of VR now.

There is no constant decline, Wii sold better than it's predecessors and no, I don't accept the excuse that it's an "anomaly". The Wii U failed because it was a huge mess. Very poorly marketed and executed, with a gamepad that looked extremly clunky (it's imo much less clunky than it looks, though) and came at a bad time, trying to imitate the success of the Wii when it was clear that those people moved on to other devices, mostly smartphones, some to other consoles. But even with the bad timing, if it was marketed and executed better, it could have outsold the Gamecube and probably the N64. And by the look of it, the Switch will easely outsellthe Wii U, possibly even this year alone if the stock problems gets resolved or easened, so no decline here either.

And yeah, Nintendo is always trying to bring some new things to the table, which can possibly attract a wider audience. It worked out fabulously on the Wii, failed miserably on the Wii U and seems to do well again with the Switch.

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:
BraLoD said:

So he is saying Switch it a system aimed at casuals and kids and when they grow up and get more into gaming they get more into PS4/XBO.

That is still kid shit.  Grow up and get a PC.

Why not both? Switch is a superb secondary console when you have a gaming PC

• Mentions his 8 y/o playing the same kind of games Nintendo has had since ever, rather than more blue ocean stuff
  • Mentions the older one playing Fifa and Forza as "advanced" games (hah), with a kinda stealth-jab @ Switch
...yeah

Bofferbrauer2 said:
sethnintendo said:

That is still kid shit.  Grow up and get a PC.

Why not both? Switch is a superb secondary console when you have a gaming PC

I was just joking around.  I've been on the PC and Nintendo combo for a few decades.

PEEPer0nni said:

- Consoles are mostly bought by adults who want to play some cinematic Sony exclusive like Uncharted or The Last of Us

- (these games have broadened the gaming audience more than anything that Nintendo did).

Yeah Sony is targeting the movie and tv series audience meanwhile MS is targeting kids and teens with their colorful multiplayer games. I think the movie audience is far bigger. 

People don't buy consoles for story games.

Pokemon Go and Wii Sports say hi.

Movie and TV audience? Gamers don't watch TV/Movies??

Xen said:

• Mentions his 8 y/o playing the same kind of games Nintendo has had since ever, rather than more blue ocean stuff
  • Mentions the older one playing Fifa and Forza as "advanced" games (hah), with a kinda stealth-jab @ Switch
...yeah

He said his 6 and 8 y/o both play Mario Kart. The 8 y/o also plays Zelda. He said his 8 y/o is starting to play Fifa/Forza on the more advanced consoles, he never said those games were more advanced than Zelda. Even an 8y/o knows Fifa/Forza aren't more advanced than BoTW.

What blue ocean stuff is there on Switch?

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network

Is he saying that:
PS3 +X360 > PS4 + XBONE = Not growing the home console market?

While the Switch is Aiming the smartphone audience with its portability = Growing the Handheld market?

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Well Microsoft had that at first. Kinect was aimed at broadening the reach of gaming and it worked until gamers (and Microsoft) killed Kinect.

tinfamous12 said:
Well Microsoft had that at first. Kinect was aimed at broadening the reach of gaming and it worked until gamers (and Microsoft) killed Kinect.

They had it but I'd leave the word first out. First maybe in their approach to motion gaming but Sony and Microsoft were more followers into motion gaming due to the unexpected success of the Wii.

leo-j said:
wow, lmao

I have to disagree..... with the push towards streaming, and social interaction within the gaming UI.... sony def took a great step forward with PSN..... the ability to stream your gameplay to FB/YOUTUBE/and others is a great way to get other people to watch and want to jump on board....

also share play is incredible and innovative....
PS NOW once they add PS4 games is going to def take off on PC.....

Nintendo has the switch.. but the thing has no UI, no online interface... it's legit a take a wii whereever you want type of thing... like I get it, it's fun sometimes... but it's half a gen behind in tech as well

People were streaming and all that long before the PS4 mate the PS4 UI would have helped is Streaming didn't get blocked by developers on a number of games.

Switch also can't be half a gen behind when the's no portable that has ever been as powerful as it.

leo-j said:
freebs2 said:

If the market is the same, sharing the same desires and expectations, then why didn't the 3DS sell like hotcakes for 250$?

it isn't the same.... 

nintendo's main market is the same market that buys an $80 tablet with android and downloads angry bird and sonic for 5 bucks or less...... 

think about it... mobile has the top Final fantasy games, the top call of duty games, the top racing games.... all cheaper and easy to play..... vs a switch that can't even play netflix.... it's a niche product, it's a great product... but they are competing against a monster market. 

All top racing and cod games cheaper and easy to play.... lol give me a fucking break. Who the fuck in their right mind would play a FPS on smartphone. Those awesome racing games with tilt control.... Your examples are terrible and those games are far superior on a PC or console system. Enjoy your shitty touch and motion controls.