By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Phil Harrison: "Switch Has The Opportunity To Reach A Wider Audience"

Cobretti2 said:
Conina said:

So what's your estimate how much of the Switch buyers haven't tried console/handheld gaming before? What percentage?

I have no estimate it's to early to tell. Realistically it be small as they don't have may games yet. As he said "it has the opportunity" didn't say it has atm.

But any other system that is still supported has also the opportunity to reach a wider audience if they get some games/features or great ads that get non-gamers interested. That opportunity hasn't passed yet.

SingStar or Kinect were released years after the console launch.

Around the Network
Shikamo said:

But, my eldest son also plays FIFA and Forza, he is getting more and more into the more advanced console games. 

Hmm. Nintendo games are less advanced. Who knew? :|

I think the Switch might appeal to a different kind of consumer/market as well, but that potential will be only fulfilled once we have more games and the price drops; meaning 1 or 2 years from now.

Btw, I'm getting really tired of VGC. It seems like we can't have anything positive about Nintendo without passionate Sony fans ruining it (downplaying, making jabs, etc.). I wonder why it bothers them so much. It's a mystery.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Conina said:
Cobretti2 said:

I have no estimate it's to early to tell. Realistically it be small as they don't have may games yet. As he said "it has the opportunity" didn't say it has atm.

But any other system that is still supported has also the opportunity to reach a wider audience if they get some games/features or great ads that get non-gamers interested. That opportunity hasn't passed yet.

SingStar or Kinect were released years after the console launch.

Yes but his comments are specifically looking at what he saw at E3 and as it stands they are focued on the hardcore gamer. Which isn't a bad strategy anyway when there is plenty of them. 

Let someone else do the hard sell to convince overs to take up gaming, then once they hooked dangle a better bait infront of them when they got their attention.

NawaiNey said:
That's a weird thing to say, I don't see anyone but the loyal Nintendo fanbase buying a Switch.

Have you checked all the buyers to make sure?

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network

I agree. Nintendo is the only one of the three who really innovates anymore it seems, especially with hardware. MicroSony are pretty much interchangeable aside from de facto standard Japanese support. Nintendo on the other hand does their own thing.

You look at what MicroSony does, they don't really do anything to broaden the market, just cater to people who are already gamers.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
I agree. I've been banging that drum over and over. Sony and Microsoft are speaking to an audience already invested in console gaming. Products like PS Pro, PSVR, and Xbox One X aren't for a new audience; they're premium products for an established audience.

Switch, conversely, seems to be aiming outside the gaming bubble. It's meant, I imagine, to bring in lapsed gamers and consumers who aren't part of the video game faithful.

I 100% agree. I respect Nintendo alot for there risking taking.

Yeah, no.
I don't think so.

People interested in switch will mostly be people interested in videogames at least a little, who already played on a console (or pc) before.
The switch is not the WII 2, don't count on it. Wii public is now on smartphones, this is perfect for them. They can play little sessions of tons of F2P games (or 1, 2$ games), it's the best for people who just play to pass time in metro or anywhere else.

The vast majority of switch first sales will be by nintendo fans, we need to see how it go after two or 3 years, at least.

The main thing that I want to come out of it is unique games. If we get ideas that we've never seen before, or that have never been tried before, I'm all for it.

NawaiNey said:
That's a weird thing to say, I don't see anyone but the loyal Nintendo fanbase buying a Switch.

No