By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you consider Xbox One a Failure?

No its not a Failure. It just lives in the shadow of a better product.

Around the Network

I don't judge a consoles success by sales, I'm a consumer not a business accountant, I can enjoy a console whether it sells 10 million or 100 million. But for me Xbox one, atm is a complete failure because I didn't enjoy owning an xbox one at all, it got sold within 9months. So yeah Failure. Shame because I found xbox and 360 superb.

I've wanted Microsoft to fail ever since the original Xbox, but the Xbox One is not a failure whatsoever, ~30 million console sales is nothing to be ashamed of and they have a sizable software lineup to boot as well as a lot of satisfied fans, even if they didn't "win" this generation and it seems like they won't be nearly as successful as the Xbox360 it's still a decent console. Besides, the video game industry is fickle and who knows, they could become the winner next generation if they play their cards right.

Outside of english speaking countries, the Xbox One is underperforming. Europe is a good example. Where as the PS4 seems to be healthy in every market, Japan perhaps aside, but that speaks to the state of home consoles in Japan rather than Playstation itself.

OdinHades said:
It's a success in North America and the UK.

It's a horrible failure everywhere else.

I think it has also done well in Australia and New Zealand as well.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

It's a failure in the same way the PS3 was a failure, or the Wii U was a failure.

It completely and utterly failed to do what Microsoft expected it to do based on the reveal. They're losing marketshare, they lost pretty much all brand solidarity in mainland Europe and they failed to implement the ideas they had from the start. They killed off Kinect, they lost the firm grasp they had on America and Britain, they lost the grasp they had on the shooter market. Halo and Gears are shadows of what they were on the 360 and 1st party content has stagnated outside of Forza.

While the machine may go on to sell a respectable number when all is said and done, when you consider the position they were in prior to announcing Xbox One, the brand itself has shrunk drastically.

I think it depends how you look at it. For me its a failure because it's damaging the brand. I don't think people will look back fondly on the x1. The lack of exclusive games which is what people will remember and it will definitely impact negatively on its successor, if it even gets one. Its sales its most likely attributed to the 360 good will, which they have done nothing this gen to keep.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Yes it's a failure since they've lost a lot of market shares to Sony and there's no reason to believe they're going to get those back soon.

It's a failure considering they're always get their ass kicked even in their strongest market.

Seriously though it really depends on your perspective. If you compare it to the 360 or the PS4 it's a failure. But then again we have a Wii U, and it's a huge success compared to the Wii U.

A handheld gamer only (for now).

celador said:
well, people said PS3 was a failure despite selling 85m, because it came after PS2 which sold close to double that. So if you were one of those people, you would have to say Xbox One is a failure.

If you take each generation on it's own merits, Xbox One is neither a success or a failure. It's just kind of meh, average

I'm not one of those people. The PS3 did badly at first, but bounced back and eventually passed the 360. But, it seems a lot of people replying do consider Xbone a failure. This makes me wonder what the threshold for being a "successful" console is. Is it just based on the competition's sales?