By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you consider Xbox One a Failure?

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Jpcc86 said:
Coming from the Xbox360, yes, absolute failure. More so compared to how the PS4 is doing.
Overall, I'd say more a disappointment than a failure.

Then that's not a failure. It's selling more than the 360 did but when Sony wins it sells multiples more and faster. If Sony sold peripherals like Microsoft I would shudder to think the astronomical numbers Sony would hit.

Is it selling as well as Microsoft intended?

Around the Network

I concider the Wii-U, Psvita, NGC, OG XBOX etc failures.

The Xbox One is not a failure but not a succes either its very much like the ps3 and xbox360 was last gen competative but not a sales cannon like the wii.

This Generation the PS4 shattered every expectation but the Wii-U was the clear failure.

Twitter @CyberMalistix

Burning Typhoon said:
My thing with xbox... All games I want to play on Xbox are on PC, or headed to it. I've never owened an xbox, and I have no reason to now. Ryzen 7 1800x, and a GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 card. I see xbox one as a cheap all in one gaming device. You can't really get better performance than an Xbox One X for the money. My PC was almost 3k.

Microsoft doesn't make any profit on the One X and not much profit on the One S

They make LESS profit on disc-based games then digital games so any PC gamer (like you and me) who purchase their games are actually contributing more to the Xbox scene then people who own their consoles in general, the only downside for microsoft is they don't sell you a Xbox Gold membership but if you purchase most of their first party games the income for them is huge.

Twitter @CyberMalistix

eva01beserk said:
Medisti said:

I'm not one of those people. The PS3 did badly at first, but bounced back and eventually passed the 360. But, it seems a lot of people replying do consider Xbone a failure. This makes me wonder what the threshold for being a "successful" console is. Is it just based on the competition's sales?

I think it might be the legacy it will leave behind. Im pretty sure theres not a lot of x1 owners thinking, "boy Im exited to see what goodies the next xbox will bring". Most are seing the competition deliver more and they have no reason to stay in the ecosystem. So its a faliure cuz next gen a lot of people will be jumping ships, if it even gets another gen.

You are right. I know a lot of people who either already switched to PS4 or don't plan to buy the next gen Xbox console.

It's a failure for me, last gen I had (and still have) my Xbox 360 and around 150+ retail games for the system, after the announcement of the X1 I bought a PS3 the same week and followed that with a PS4. There was a point where I could have gotten an Xbox1 for 150 with some games... I didn't, considering I mostly collect games that was the point where I knew myself that the system had failed for me.

But in terms of overall failure, I think you could say that the system itself has done "okay" but it is a failure in the same way the 80 million sales of the PS3 are a failure compared to the runaway success of the 150m selling ps2 before it, the X1 reveal absolutely destroyed a huge amount of work that the X360 had done for MS in terms of getting them a win with gamers even though they had pushed things like paid online and adverts in the console interface, the X360 was popular in spite of those things, and they pushed too far with anti consumerism and the bubble burst in their face.

Could I suggest a poll to this thread would be cool :)

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network

I think it's a failure, because it didn't do what Microsoft wanted it to do.

Microsoft was trying to position it as an all in one (see what they did?) solution for living room entertainment. They had big mass market plans for the thing. And they completely screwed it up.

derpysquirtle64 said:
eva01beserk said:

I think it might be the legacy it will leave behind. Im pretty sure theres not a lot of x1 owners thinking, "boy Im exited to see what goodies the next xbox will bring". Most are seing the competition deliver more and they have no reason to stay in the ecosystem. So its a faliure cuz next gen a lot of people will be jumping ships, if it even gets another gen.

You are right. I know a lot of people who either already switched to PS4 or don't plan to buy the next gen Xbox console.

I've spoken to a lot of Xbox gamers online and the reasoning I've gathered for why they like the Xbox has little to do with exclusives and more with the perception of a superior service outside of exclusives.

A good system is remembered by its games. And with the upcomnig amazing PS4 games i think more people will have better memories with the Sony console. Even in the US Playstation is slowly becoming synonomous with a console and i can see during the next gen, children and teens prefering the Playstation console from their parents to play all those amazing exclusive franchises they were always jealous about.

I think that sucess or failure has nothing to do with hard sales numbers but rather with profit. Did the division turn a profit? That is what is ultimately important.

There is also the progression pov. Did the division profits or losses rise or diminish? I don't have the data but i think it's clear the 360 made more of a profit. In that sense, it can be interpreted as a partial failure.

This is all very abstract though. Sucess is dictated by tracing objectives and seeing if you met them or not. Only Microsoft knows what those were.

Nope. But everyone is entitled to their opinions. That being said, in Microsoft's mind if it hasn't produced profit then it is subsequently a financial failure. In terms of console sales, it's far from being a failure. If we say Xbox is a failure, we'll have to deem Nintendo 64 and Gamecube failures as well which in my opinion, aren't.